Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hip Hop 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

AZ, Rae and Prodigy! Nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 That_Guy_Omar

what does everyone think of the xxl freshman list this year?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

pone2012 wrote: »
    AZ, Rae and Prodigy! Nice!
    Beat is dope, AZ is deadly, Rae is Rae, Prodigy kind of disappoints on the beat.
    what does everyone think of the xxl freshman list this year?

It's a list of who potentially could be popular based on the hype they have. I hardly know any of them and of the ones I do know, I know their name rather than music. Playboi Carti and XXXtension are probably the ones that are going to blow up, but again, I hear their name rather than music.

I'd like to hear a track or 2 from each, they normally do a mixtape thingy with it but haven't seen it surface yet.

Interestingly enough, they got a few right last year :) But it doesn't hold weight for me anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

The only freshman I know is Kap G, and he's fantastic. Girlfriend is the best pop rap song of 2016 IMO.

This week I've listened to Gucci Manes Droptopwop. Production from Metro Boomin all the way through sounds fantastic. Three of the tracks are a little middling but it's definitely a lot stronger than the other two tapes he did since leaving prison.

Also listened to the new Chief Keef, Thot Breaker. It's pretty bloody good. He's done an RnB album. Productions absolutely daft. Doomy drill lads trying to make tracks for the ladies. Lyrics are also pretty absurd. I'd really recommend giving this a whirl even just for the novelty factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 That_Guy_Omar

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Playboi Carti and XXXtension are probably the ones that are going to blow up, but again, I hear their name rather than music.

x is the one I am most familiar with, and his music is really a mixed bag. He has some really bad, high bass hypebeast songs, like "Look At Me" and "Suicide Pit", along with some decently lyrical songs like "King of The Dead" and "I spoke to the devil in miami and he said everything would be fine"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

2 Chainz might have the best album so far this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

He's definitely varied up his flows and finessed the clanger punchlines a bit, but I not too much cos that's what makes Tittyboy 2 Chainz. Productions bananas. He's a bit much over the course of a full album for me though.

Such flow! New Method Man!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I've a loads of new stuff to listen to, 2Chains is in the pile. Top of the pile is Vince Staples though.
    Joyner Lucas is there as well which is another guy I'm looking forward to listening to.

• Advertisement

Ah gyyea, I'll be straight checkin it.

:D:D

2 Chainz - Pretty Girls Like Trap Music - This is my 1 listen review.

I've never really been a fan of 2 Chainz, but he has kind of won me over with this. It's not bad at all, found myself fully engaged with a few of the songs and there were a couple that I sort of wished aren't on the record. Door Swaning is one, I thought the song featuring Drake was weak as well, it was jammed in there just because Drake was on it. The song with Nikki made me cringe when she used it to continue her beef with Remy, how anyone would let that on their album is beyond me as a feature.

Loved the opening and closing tracks though. Monica has a beautiful voice. Production was great throughout.

Next up on the playlist is Royce Da 5'9 - Bar Exam 4.

Royce Da 5'9 - The Bar Exam 4

Jaysus Royce is a beast, this is way too long, but there are some deadly moments from him. His flow and wordplay are outstanding on nearly every track. But, and this has been my problem with Royce for as long as I can remember, his voice tends to get boring for me. So on some of the shorter sharper tracks on the album, that suits him perfectly. The longer ones without a feature tend to drag a bit for me.
    Solid release from him

Next up - Big Boi - BOOMIVERSE

BOOMIVERSE
    There is nothing that really blows me away, pretty experimental as usual from Big Boi, nothing bad about it though.
    Would listen again, but only 1 or 2 tracks that I'd really blast again and again.

DJ Khaled - Grateful is up now.
    It's started off nicely!

DJ Khaled - 1 album listen.

Jesus ttty f*cking christ. Too many people that sound the same on the same songs and across the album. Too much Future, Migos, Travis, 21, Kodak, Gotti. I may come across as the old man here, but they all sound the same, same vocal enhancements, same flow, same subject matter.
    Also, Nicki Minaj hurts my head.

So yeah, I'm not going to be holding on to the album, maybe a few tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭CR 7

The new Jay Z album, think it's my favourite of the year so far. I've already replayed it more times than DAMN. Only legal way to listen for now is to have a Tidal sub though. 10 tracks, no filler songs, no radio-friendly poppy stuff. Just great production (all by No I.D.), with some fairly personal lyrics about the cheating rumours, Kanye, and his children, etc. Only 3 features, Frank Ocean, Damian Marley and his mother. Looks like it's getting a normal release in a week anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

Yeah this Jay-Z album is ridiculously good!
    Lyrically, it's the sharpest he's been since American Gangster, so many quotables and stand out tracks, literally every track is full of gems, his flow is impressive enough too considering he's pushing 50!

I hold the Uzi vertical, let the thing smoke
    Ya'll flirtin' with death, I be winkin' through the scope

NO I.D smashed it too, unbelievable use of samples, he deserves serious credit as Nas, Common and now Jay have all released their best material in a decade with him at the helm. Hopefully Kanye hooks up with him for his next solo

Special mention to Marcy Me too, already close to being my most played track this year!

I honestly just can't stand Jay Zs voice anymore :/

Absolutely loving Which Way Iz West

Classic sound with classic raps. MC Eiht and his sound is just timeless

• Advertisement

New track from Grieves

I like this one, big fan of his. I'd like to hear a sprinkle of Budo's production though on the upcoming album, but he's too busy producing for Macklemore now by the looks of things.

In other Rhymesayers news, Evidence announced a new album as well coming in a month or so.

In even more Rhymesayers news, well it's not really, but Brother Ali's album is probably the best album of the year for me so far.

Oh, I nearly forgot, some of the Doomtree lads have gotten together to form a new band.

P.O.S x Sims x Lazerbeak are shREDDERS, here's a few of their tracks
    https://shredddders.bandcamp.com/album/shredders

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Listening to Boomiverse now. I had Spotify on shuffle so had listened to most of the songs out of order. It doesn't make much difference to be fair.

Interesting is how I'd describe it. I really liked Vicious Lies and this feels like it's the next step, though there's less variety. I'll need to listen to it again. I'm not entirely sold on it.

Boomiverse is like a collection of standard Big Boi songs.
    Nothing wrong with them and you probably wouldn't skip them if they came on while on shuffle.

B Real & MC Eiht in the smoke-box :D

Has anyone watched The Defiant Ones?
    It's the show on HBO about Dr. Dre / Jimmy Iovine / DOC

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Has anyone watched The Defiant Ones?
    It's the show on HBO about Dr. Dre / Jimmy Iovine / DOC

I watched the first episode last night, not bad, I'm hoping it gets meatier as it goes on.
    The first episode focuses alot on Jimmy and there is alot of stuff there that I didn't realise. The episode ends at Boyz In Da Hood, so the next one will be the NWA/Ruthless years I gather.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I watched the first episode last night, not bad, I'm hoping it gets meatier as it goes on.
    The first episode focuses alot on Jimmy and there is alot of stuff there that I didn't realise. The episode ends at Boyz In Da Hood, so the next one will be the NWA/Ruthless years I gather.

Out of interest how did you watch it? Is it on Netflix / or Amazon Prime?

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Out of interest how did you watch it? Is it on Netflix / or Amazon Prime?

You can watch the first one free on the HBO site, but you'll need to tweak your browser so that it thinks you are in the USA

http://www.hbo.com/watch-free-episodes/the-defiant-ones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭b.gud

The new Tyler the Creator album is streaming now, just finished the first listen and I'm liking it. Here's the link to Spotify

Advertisement