Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Screw in bulb ceiling pendulum

Options
  • 16-12-2016 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭

Potentially stupid question here...:confused:

Guy in electrical wholesalers dismissed me yesterday saying that I wouldn't get ceiling pendulums that use the screw in type of bulbs???

Are they against regulation or something?

I'm just replacing old ones in (our newly bought old) house.
    The are already screw in (ES is it?) and I'm wondering are they a bad idea.

Seems to me all the new led bulbs are coming in screw-in rather than bayonet??

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭vidapura

Thanks Steve,
    Yah I thought that they were available.

But just worried they might be against some regulation or other.

Basically this tool in the electrical wholesalers just shoved the things at me and dismissed me saying they don't do the bayonet ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

Ikea only sell screw-in fittings. They also have bayonet to Edison adapters.

Bayonet is the push and twist fitting.
    Edison is the screw in fitting.

The bayonet fitting is historically the default fitting in countries that were part of the British empire.

The E or Edison fitting is the default fitting in most other countries including Usa.

With free movement of goods within the EU, you now get more Edison fitting available, but bayonet is still more popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭vidapura

Thanks for that.

Grand so, I'll just assert my own choice here.

I get better prices and availability on the Edison bulbs..especially in LED's online ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Ah, at least we've answered the age old question - how many boardies does it take to screw in a light bulb. :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement