Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android pay?

Options
  • 16-12-2016 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭

So are you guys going to add this feature anytime soon?
    Or ar AIB just way ahead of the curve?

Sorry I'd like to jump on board the not needing a wallet train.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

Good Afternoon kenyard, 

Thank you for your post here today. 

While we have no immediate plans for this, we will notify customer here and through our website and social channels if this changes. 

Thanks, 
    Elaine 

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

Good Afternoon kenyard, 

While we have no immediate plans for this, we will notify customer here and through our website and social channels if this changes. 

Thanks, 
    Elaine 

I really find it shocking that you don't have at least plans for this.
    I've noticed that AIB are well ahead in technology implementation, and this is another example (but the only one that makes a real difference to my day to day banking)

I'm seriously thinking of switching my current account to AIB or KBC as they are now offering Android Pay (this is why I browsed to this thread - was hoping to hear that BOI wouldn't be too far behind and avoid me having to switch)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

Thank you for all your feedback here and we will ensure this is forwarded to our development team. 

As mentioned, if anything changes, we will notify our customers immediately through our website and social channels. 

Thanks, 
    Elaine 

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭duckofdeath

I'm really curious myself about getting information on whether BOI will join Android Pay or Samsung Pay. This is a feature I'd switch banks for myself if it's not implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

I've just put through an application to switch to AIB due to BOI not providing any concrete plans for Android Pay above.
    Very disappointing as I've been a long time Bank of Ireland customer. BOI have really falling behind on technology, especially as they once lead the way:
    http://www.rte.ie/archives/2015/0213/679861-irelands-first-atm/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

+1 

Pretty brutal to not even have some sort of timeline for implementation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

AIB is ahead of BOI in many ways, the Android App is stunning compared to the BOI one. It's a pity BOI doesn't see value in customer experience in this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭kenyard

Reati wrote: »
    AIB is ahead of BOI in many ways, the Android App is stunning compared to the BOI one. It's a pity BOI doesn't see value in customer experience in this area.

To be honest i have no issues with the BOI app. Adding new payees, transferring money etc. It was lacking some features at first but has enough for me now. I didn't like the hassle of the

I inquired here as I consider bank of ireland one of the prominent banks in Ireland. I don't understand how one of the leading institutions is not involved in introducing what I would consider a groundbreaking new technology.

And KBC? I hadn't heard much of them but my guess now is they are a big global player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

kenyard wrote: »
    Reati wrote: »

To be honest i have no issues with the BOI app. Adding new payees, transferring money etc. It was lacking some features at first but has enough for me now. I didn't like the hassle of the

I inquired here as I consider bank of ireland one of the prominent banks in Ireland. I don't understand how one of the leading institutions is not involved in introducing what I would consider a groundbreaking new technology.

And KBC? I hadn't heard much of them but my guess now is they are a big global player.
    The quick balance feature on AIB app is unbeatable for me. I love that without having to enter the long passcode I can see the balance of a my selected account. I rarely use the BOI one as the login kills me. I do agree about the stupid card reader though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 mrpotato

Bank of Ireland, is there any update on Android Pay? I'm seriously considering moving to AIB or KBC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Nicola

mrpotato wrote: »
    Bank of Ireland, is there any update on Android Pay? I'm seriously considering moving to AIB or KBC.
    Hi mrpotato, we've no further update on this at the moment but we'll post on the threads here if this changes. 
    Thanks
    Nicola

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Bank of Ireland were clueless when it came to SEPA implementation, it would be far too much to expect any form decent implementation when it comes to Android Pay. 

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Patww79 wrote: »
    I'd hold off to be honest. I nearly jumped the gun when this was first announced but it's an awful hassle to move everything over, which put me off. After talking time to settle and look at it develop, Android Pay seems to be a mess so far due to the luddite nature of retailers and staff. Best thing is to do nothing until Apple Pay comes out so mobile payments get a proper push in the media, and see what way the banks are set up for the services then at that time.

KBC and aib care team's seem to be handling the education part quite well and will contact locations if you ping them.

Seems to be going fine tbh

Did you read the main thread? It's a toss up if somewhere will take it, then another toss up if they'll do it for over €30 or not. Then you've places flat out refusing and putting up 'no android pay' signs or wanting to take your phone off you to scan it themselves. It sounds a complete mess, couldn't attempt it with any confidence yet.

I've used daily Android pay throughout Dublin, Wicklow, Kildare and carlow while working and I've never had an issue bar one store in Dublin saying it didn't work there and one time doing it wrong in Harvey norman. Some places down the sticks will be a bit funny but that's the same with any new tech. Tap to pay cards had the same problem and in fact a shop near where I live still won't do tap to pay cards. Android pay is fantastic and one of the best things AIB have done in ages. Moving banks isn't that much hassle and it's worth it.

Its very easy to use Android pay. You simply say you want to tap to pay (most shops know what this is) and then when you see the wireless symbol tap your phone. The whole "oh I don't know if I can use it for 30 euro or more" is a red herring. Treat it like any tap to pay card and assume you can't go above 30 for now if you don't waste 30 seconds to try tap first and then revert to chip and pin if it fails. It's very simple that I think you actually need to look for ways to make it hard being honest.

As an aside, you should never give your phone or your card to the retailer. Places that tap for you are doing it out of habit where people just hand a care to them to take card of it. They shouldn't do it and AFAIK are advised as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭davidod1

Good Afternoon kenyard, 

Thanks, 
    Elaine 
    I have to say that I am extremely disappointed to see a reply like that regarding a payment system that is inherently more secure than using a card and together with Apple Pay and Samsung Pay has a rapidly growing take-up in the more technology aware countries around the world.

It seems that Bank of Ireland seem content to see AIB and KBC take the lead again.  

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Evil_g

Recently decided to set up a joint account with my better half so taking the opportunity to move to KBC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

debating move after about 30 years with BOI ... madness they don't even have 'plans'

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭georgefalls

Thank you for all your feedback here and we will ensure this is forwarded to our development team. 

As mentioned, if anything changes, we will notify our customers immediately through our website and social channels. 

Thanks, 
    Elaine 
    BOI has a 'development team'...??!!??  

Sack the buggas. they're not doing anything.... Hahahahaa...!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭TheTomahawk

If they ask for your card, refuse.  With Chip and PIN, and contactless, there is no reason for them to have to handle your card.  That's part of the reason for both technologies.  These technologies exist to make credit and debit cards safer -- not handing the card over to anyone means they can't take a copy of it, for example.

(There are some annoying exceptions - GAP, for example, still need to swipe the magnetic strip on their tills and don't have the tills linked to the credit card machine)

Zipppy wrote: »
    debating move after about 30 years with BOI ... madness they don't even have 'plans'
    Same here.  I really do get a feeling that they really don't care about us average individuals that have been banking with them for decades.  If you're not a corporate account holding earning them a lot of money, then why should they care?!

Do AIB have a handy site for managing moving everything to them, I wonder...?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Im thinking of moving myself as well. For the amount of bank fees I am paying, for what is basically a service to hold my money and make money off it (they gain interest on it), seems like a silly idea staying with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Really poor strategic showing here from BOI. They will be destroyed by competitors if they don't embrace the latest technology. I've worked on tech projects in all three mentioned in this thread in the past 3 years. BOI is behind by a long shot.

Care to elaborate?  How do they compare to BOI, or KBC?

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Mod note: Please remember that this thread is about Android Pay. Please take discussion regarding other banks and other topics to a more appropriate forum such as Banking, Insurance & Pensions.

• Advertisement

Advertisement