Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android pay?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

I know I'm a moanbag on this thread, but surely there must a proper response to this question as BOI announce that they're getting rid of cash based services from 100 branches across the country...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

I know I'm a moanbag on this thread, but surely there must a proper response to this question as BOI announce that they're getting rid of cash based services from 100 branches across the country...
    Good Morning upandcumming, 

We're no further information on this at present. Please be assured that as soon as anything changes we will let you know here. 

Thanks again, 
    Elaine 

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

I find it unbelievable that BOI is not offering Android pay. Or any NFC payments via a smartphone. I just doesn't make sense NOT to implement it. The freaking grocer on the corner in Johnstown accepts Android pay. 

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Yeah it's making me seriously consider switching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I am thinking of switching because of the charges anyway so this may just be the issue that makes my mind up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Patww79 wrote: »
    When you read some of the threads on Android Pay (and Apple Pay) nearly a year later and you've shops making you sign for using it, shops not allowing over €30 transactions, large supermarkets disabling it's use at their tills, and general luddite freakouts by shop staff if you attempt to use it, is it really worth switching banks over? Yeah it'd be nice to have but it's an awful hassle to switch when it's still such a two-bit system in this country.[/quote]
    It is... I'd nearly move to a more expensive bank than these shower. 

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Is there an eta. 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Julez

Is there an eta. 
    Good Morning Donnielighto, 

They have no further information on this at present. Please be assured that as soon as anything changes they will let you know here. 

Thanks again, 
    Julez

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭kenyard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭supaburger

at this stage is beyond ridiculous that BOI is still not supporting android pay 

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Martinsumting

I agree, it's a joke that they don't support it. What kind of reason do they have not too? 🀔

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭davidod1

I agree, it's a joke that they don't support it. What kind of reason do they have not too? 🀔

Perhaps the new CEO will change things.  It's getting on for a year since the other main banks adopted Android Pay.

It's pretty deplorable mind you.  

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭GillespieRoad

How there is still no news about a rollout is incomprehensible. When all the other banks do it BOI is shooting themselves in the foot when it comes to retaining and especially attracting new younger customers. Just my two cents!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

If I was to guess I'd say it's down to the massive IT overhaul they've been doing the last few years. Android pay is probably a project that is long down their list of priorities

This is the latest article I could find on contactless payments

https://www.independent.ie/business/technology/news/boi-out-in-cold-as-aib-is-latest-apple-pay-adopter-35944667.html

"The move means that Bank Of Ireland is the only major bank not to have a mobile payment technology option for customers"

"AIB, Ulster Bank and KBC support Apple Pay while Bank Of Ireland and Permanent TSB do not. AIB and KBC Bank also support Android Pay, the Google-based alternative."

Shocking really

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I just want the Android app login to work :(

It's a pain having to use the browser on mobile, and this login issue has been highlighted for ages on Google Play.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I just want the Android app login to work :(

It's a pain having to use the browser on mobile, and this login issue has been highlighted for ages on Google Play.
    Different problem, wrong thread, this thread is about Android pay, not the mobile app. Hope you get it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭touts

Any progress on this. Android Pay and Apple Pay seemed to be on most New Year's "must have apps". Even my parents have it on their phones with AIB. When people in their mid 70s are using the technology I think it's safe to say this whole mobile banking thing might be worth BOI having another look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Bump

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

Any update BOI?

I switched accounts due to this (and the BOI fees) almost a year.
    Have to say happy with the switch. Don't miss the fees, the terrible app, the low interest rates and the lack of android Pay one bit.

What I find unbelievable is that a representative can't even say that Android Pay is on a Technology roadmap somewhere in BOI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi The Dark Knight,

As mentioned previously on this thread, we'll let customers know when we have any information on this.

Thanks
    Tara

Hi The Dark Knight,

As mentioned previously on this thread, we'll let customers know when we have any information on this.

Thanks
    Tara

I know what you said previously. I work like to request more details.
    I still have a credit card with BOI, so still have some interest in it.
    I can't believe that you don't have more information that already provided.

Also, I'd like to tell everyone that Android Pay is working really well for me. Both for transactions below and above €30.
    People serving are getting less surprised when I present the phone to pay. Its almost natural at this stage.
    Easier than card (especially for over €30 transactions as no pin required) and more secure (phoney must be unlocked and one time card number transfers, not your actual card number).
    It and apple pay are here to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Evil_g

Just completing the process of moving three current accounts and two credit cards over to KBC. Better mortgage rate, no current account fees, and yes, now I get to pay for stuff with my phone. I also liked their refreshing approach of listening to my questions and answering them.

We could be with them for the next fifty years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

:D
    That made me smile on a Monday morning
    So behind the times aren't they?
    Amazing too that not ALL branches are open Saturdays

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭kevin2800

Bump

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭wolf99

Steve F wrote: »
    :D
    That made me smile on a Monday morning
    So behind the times aren't they?
    Amazing too that not ALL branches are open Saturdays

Ha ha ha, my local BoI branch is only really open one day a week at this stage, never mind open 6! 🀣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Also, I'd like to tell everyone that Android Pay is working really well for me. Both for transactions below and above €30.
    People serving are getting less surprised when I present the phone to pay. Its almost natural at this stage.
    Easier than card (especially for over €30 transactions as no pin required) and more secure (phoney must be unlocked and one time card number transfers, not your actual card number).
    It and apple pay are here to stay.
    Who did you move to, if you dont mind me asking?
    Im getting tired of all this non information from BOI.  Time to move

Advertisement