Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android pay?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

The other day I went to the post office to collect a parcel, I had to pay but had forgotten my wallet. I had my phone with me though, but doh, BOI doesn't have Android pay. So I had to go home and get my wallet and go back. It baffles me that they don't get a move on and offer this payment option. It is not going to go away, it is here to stay. Welcome to the 20th 21st century, BOI. 

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Poncke wrote: »
    The other day I went to the post office to collect a parcel, I had to pay but had forgotten my wallet. I had my phone with me though, but doh, BOI doesn't have Android pay. So I had to go home and get my wallet and go back. It baffles me that they don't get a move on and offer this payment option. It is not going to go away, it is here to stay. Welcome to the 20th century, BOI. 
    welcome to the 21st century you mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Poncke wrote: »
    The other day I went to the post office to collect a parcel, I had to pay but had forgotten my wallet. I had my phone with me though, but doh, BOI doesn't have Android pay. So I had to go home and get my wallet and go back. It baffles me that they don't get a move on and offer this payment option. It is not going to go away, it is here to stay. Welcome to the 20th century, BOI. 
    welcome to the 21st century you mean.
    Yes, let me change that, but then again, they actually are still in the 20th century ;)

Patww79 wrote: »

Not for Bank of Ireland.[/quote]
    Touche ! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Deedsie wrote: »
    Any updates on android pay being made available by Bank of Ireland?
    It won't be available till after they put in their new computer system. I'd say 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭sinkingfish

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Deedsie wrote: »
    Any updates on android pay being made available by Bank of Ireland?
    It won't be available till after they put in their new computer system. I'd say 2020
    I was told 2020 by a BOI staff member. I'm now using Revolut for daily banking, they're supposed to be introducing Android very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭kenyard

about time.... this is why i kept following this post...
    i do agree though this could still be 2 years out unfortunately...
    i like the article...

[font=Georgia, serif]All of Bank of Ireland’s main rivals have incorporated at least one of the phone payment systems due to customer demand.
    However, Bank of Ireland has stalled on introducing the technology, leading to substantial dissatisfaction among some of its customers.[/font]

[font=Georgia, serif]"I changed banks away from Bank of Ireland because of it," said Dermot Daly, founder of Dublin tech company Tapadoo.[/font]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭wolf99

AFAIK said upgrade is still just as "ongoing" as it was 2 years ago. Add in the lack of a definite date in the article and the news of BOI closing service branches all over, doesn't exactly indicate they would likely have capacity to do anything with this in the near future other than issue press releases! 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Yea, unless the start date is sometime before August I'm still going.

wolf99 wrote: »
    AFAIK said upgrade is still just as "ongoing" as it was 2 years ago. Add in the lack of a definite date in the article and the news of BOI closing service branches all over, doesn't exactly indicate they would likely have capacity to do anything with this in the near future other than issue press releases! 😂
    Service branches will all move to Banking 365. Same function. Nothing to do with their IT systems upgrade, which a lot hinges on. They can proceed with android pay and apple pay once they have the new system in place

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

Android/Google Pay is now available on the N26 app (German version of Revolut).
    This is an option for those who can't wait for BOI to enter the 21st century.
    Although, I'd still recommend switching bank all together to get free banking and Google Pay. I've found KBC very good so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Patww79 wrote: »
    I still reckon I'll see it on the Revolut card well before I see it on my BOI debit card.

What's Google Pay (more top notch reporting with all the Android Pay references) like in Ireland these days anyway, still a minefield or did the Apple Pay introduction smooth out acceptance of it?

I use google pay all the time with my KBC debit card and have never had a problem with acceptance. Also have same card set up on my work iphone and as far as ive seen the two are on a par with each other

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Dark Rabbit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

awww 
    I'm really curious myself about getting information on whether BOI will join Android Pay or Samsung Pay. This is a feature I'd switch banks for myself if it's not implemented.

Awwww i have to carry my heavy wallet around with me

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Dark Rabbit

I'm going to set up a KBC account for this.  When BOI have it up and running I'll close the KBC account.  

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Unless they have a date they can shove it.

• Advertisement

"In the future" ...its probably still years away with their core banking system upgrade taking priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭davidod1

Both my wife and I have Just opened an account with KBC; two of my married kids look like they are going to follow.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

AIB, Ulster Bank and KBC all support Android Pay.

Does BOI ever plan on adopting NFC payments?

BOI are putting in a new computer system at the minute. Will take about 5 years or so more. After this, they will implement Android Pay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi Pugzilla,

Thanks for your post.

As soon as we have any update on mobile payments, we’ll let customers know here and on our websites.

Thanks
    Tara

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Hi Pugzilla,

Thanks for your post.

As soon as we have any update on mobile payments, we’ll let customers know here and on our websites.

Thanks
    Tara
    So never?

Looks like I'll have to switch to AIB then.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

I'm going to set up a KBC account for this.  When BOI have it up and running I'll close the KBC account.  

You'll find yourself staying with KBC...they are very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭lobbylad

Android/Google Pay is now available on the N26 app (German version of Revolut).
    This is an option for those who can't wait for BOI to enter the 21st century.
    Although, I'd still recommend switching bank all together to get free banking and Google Pay. I've found KBC very good so far.
    I'll second this. I set N26 up about 4 months ago and find it excellent.

Little things, like the instant you use your debit card in a shop/atm, it pings an alert on your phone with the location and amount spent, and it allows you to "tag" the spend so that you can easily remember where and what your cash is going on.

(I've no connection to n26 by the way)

368100 wrote: »

"In the future" ...its probably still years away with their core banking system upgrade taking priority.
    They won't bring in Android or Apple Pay till after their new computer system is in and working. They might do it before then, given the demand, and work it back in retrospectively into the new system. Hard to see that being a sensible idea though

• Advertisement

Ally Dick wrote: »
    They won't bring in Android or Apple Pay till after their new computer system is in and working. They might do it before then, given the demand, and work it back in retrospectively into the new system. Hard to see that being a sensible idea though

Isnt their cards system seperate to the new core banking system? If so it really could be done now.

Advertisement