Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android pay?

Options

Comments

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Pugzilla, I've merged your thread into this existing one on Android Pay. 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

368100 wrote: »
    Ally Dick wrote: »
    They won't bring in Android or Apple Pay till after their new computer system is in and working. They might do it before then, given the demand, and work it back in retrospectively into the new system. Hard to see that being a sensible idea though

Isnt their cards system seperate to the new core banking system? If so it really could be done now.
    All will be connected up really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Ally Dick wrote: »
    All will be connected up really

I have a bit of experience in it. It could be done now but im guessing theres other priorities

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Been 3 weeks since this thread showed up on the main page

Any update for Google pay / android pay ?

Just reading some features of Google pay / android pay and it seems handy enough

Not enough for me to change bank but would like the feature .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Darren

Just reading some features of Google pay / android pay and it seems handy enough

Hi there,

Thanks for getting in touch, no up date on this but please be assured that we'll up date this thread if there is any change on this in the future.

Thanks again,
    Darren.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 wardy1976

Hi there,

Thanks for getting in touch, no up date on this but please be assured that we'll up date this thread if there is any change on this in the future.

Thanks again,
    Darren.
    Usual stock reply, how about actually giving some answer that at least implies there is action being taken by this lumbering old institution to move forward with technology.

Translated this means....  We are not interested in customer satisfaction and are happy sit in the dark ages and let technology pass us on by.  Lets see how they cope when people vote with their feet and leave the bank for others that are actually bracing technology and want to listen and work with their account holders.  

Am I right in thinking that this is now the only bank not using Google or Apple pay?

I do not even have a contactless card from this bank.  I need to wait until this one expires next year, unless of course I pay them to issue a new card to me early!  Google pay was supposed to be my way of getting around this but no, BOI are not interested in their customers.  Fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

I use to say cash is king

But the more I cycle the more I think always have phone with me, should be able to use that to pay

Only for bills, saving etc I'd move as not having this service is not good enough from BOI

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

Just tried to set it up. Still not working.

I am sure though, in 2049 when they implement it, it will be announced with bells and whistles

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭alwayswright

Revolut have just announced that they now support Google Pay. Great functionality to have while we wait for this antiquated dinosaur of a bank to catch up. 

Revolut have just announced that they now support Google Pay. Great functionality to have while we wait for this antiquated dinosaur of a bank to catch up. 

Do you have to pay revolut for the privilege ?

If so I'd rather just switch to KBC at this stage for many reasons

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Any updates BOI? What is the hold up? 

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Why is everyone making out that switching is much harder than it is?

Not sure if banks still have switching teams but I did everything manually.

Opened new bank account, told work of change of account, moved some money over to new account and then started ringing companies to inform them of new bank account. Then closed old one. Not that hard.

Also used Revolut today through Google Pay. Transaction popped up straight away on both Google Pay and Revolut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Is AIB and KBC the only options for people wanting to use google pay? Are there other banks that now support it?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭daddy_boy

closed my BOI acct today, and now do everything with revolut, had been running the two accts side by side for 10 months, dont have/want a overdraft, have a BOI credit card which i will keep for car hire etc but not use for purchases. The only thing i will miss :p from BOI is the phone call i used to get every 12 months asking to come in for a chat so that they could try and sell me some life policy or credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

Hi there,

Thanks again,
    Darren.
    The only updates have come from us when they hit the news. So please stop pasting these canned responses and genuinely talk to us. 

Patww79 wrote: »
    KBC didn't have a switching team and manual is massive undertaking. Leaving yourself too open to non payment fees.

Just have both accounts for a while. A crossover until you know everything has switched.

tuxy wrote: »
    Is AIB and KBC the only options for people wanting to use google pay? Are there other banks that now support it?

And Ulsterbank

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭sinkingfish

I was told before in a branch that the Google Pay ETA was 2022...

I've been using Revolut now for about 9 months for daily spends, they've just soft launched Google Pay and it's brilliant! I don't understand how BOI plan to compete with these new fintech digital only banks, BOI's only edge on them is brick and mortar branches and they're either closing them or reducing services to the point that they're useless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

I was told before in a branch that the Google Pay ETA was 2022...

I've been using Revolut now for about 9 months for daily spends, they've just soft launched Google Pay and it's brilliant! I don't understand how BOI plan to compete with these new fintech digital only banks, BOI's only edge on them is brick and mortar branches and they're either closing them or reducing services to the point that they're useless.
    They're bringing in a new computer system to run the bank. It's 2 years in and should be up and running in another 3. They'll build Android Pay on top of that. That's where the 2022 ETA is coming from. Now this all depends on the new system working. If it does, BOI will be finally cutting edge

Well at least BOI agree that this type of payment is the way forward even if they have no set date to make it available.

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/bank-of-ireland-reveal-apple-pay-and-android-pay-are-on-the-way-for-its-customers-36851458.html

Almost sounds like they are encouraging people to switch banks for now. 

Well at least BOI agree that this type of payment is the forward even if they have no set date to make it available.

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/bank-of-ireland-reveal-apple-pay-and-android-pay-are-on-the-way-for-its-customers-36851458.html

It's not good enough

I'm looking at switching to a free account with KBC at the moment with the same perks I have now plus android pay.

If 2022 is the date for this then that is just too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Well at least BOI agree that this type of payment is the way forward even if they have no set date to make it available.

They probably want the revenue from the fees for closing accounts

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

I opened an online account with N26 and use that for Apple Pay. Got sick and tired of waiting on BOI.

Their app is miles ahead of BOI too. You can toggle on and off settings for extra security, like online payments, payments abroad etc. Its really excellent. Instant notification on the phone too when a transaction takes place.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Dark Rabbit

I got sick of waiting for BOI to do this too so I set up a Revolut card in November which I received promptly and purchased (very small amount) of crypto currency with.  However, the card wouldn't work with Google pay on my phone.  The Revolut card apparently isn't working on Google Pay for some Irish customers but will be fine in a few months.  I'm going to hold on to the Revolut card and will use when working but have in the mean time set up with N26.  The N26 card works a treat with my phone so happy days.
    BTW, I received a letter from PTSB saying they are going to charge me €18 per quarter to manage my current account whereas N26 and Revolut have no maintenance fee (just hit you if you're withdrawing cash from ATMs a lot during the month). 

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Gavinphelan12

Got an email today stating that a new boi app is in the way so might not be too long away now.. Or better use android pay or it will be a joke. I'm already moved to kbc but didn't close my boi account yet 

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Got an email today stating that a new boi app is in the way so might not be too long away now.. Or better use android pay or it will be a joke. I'm already moved to kbc but didn't close my boi account yet 
    nope..not till 2022 at least. 

• Registered Users Posts: 29 gr1980

Who sent you that email?  I'm also waiting for the new BOI app, just so I can have a relatively easy way of checking my balance etc.  Hopefully it will support fingerprint log in.  

As for Google Pay / Apple Pay - don't hold your breath. Please be assured that if there is any change on this in the future BOI will let all of their customers know. :D

• Advertisement

I also got an email from info@boimail.com about a new app with better security and more features. No exact date for release yet.

Advertisement