Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android pay?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Apologies, I've deleted the references to other banks.

Basically I'd just say that I'd think long and hard about changing banks for some novelty service that someone in a shop is probably not going to let you use anyway, especially when you've a card in your pocket that will do exactly the same thing. There are so many other more important factors to consider ahead of it. It's frustrating yes, but if you're happy with the rest of the service they offer then is it really worth the switch?[/quote]
    Not sure how it''s not a novelty. It's a vastly more secure way to pay for stuff in the shops. Happy to get into the tech with you if you want to know why. I rarely need to have my card on me right now thanks to Android pay. No shop in months have not let me use it. Even ones that did at the start have moved past that. I've paid for meals out that were 60 or 70 euro with android pay.

It's up to you what you want to do. For me the handiness Android pay gives me makes the short pain of moving banks worth it. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Patww79 wrote: »

I know the tech, but really if you don't leave your card lying around and are secure with it (ATM, online, etc) then there really isn't any issue. Granted it would be nice to be able to use the phone but even if i could, I'd never trust it enough at this stage that I wouldn't have my card with anyway. Not until it is guaranteed to work everywhere as much as a card does at least.[/quote]
    Oh, my bad. I've had this out with you already and your in a closed loop and IIRC are convinced Apple pay will save it somehow. Anyway, I'm out. Keep using your card. 

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Any update on the availability ETA of this from BOI?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 The_Irish_Dave

To be honest I was surprised when I tried to add my bank of Ireland card to android pay and it said it wasn't available yet. The problem with these things is infrastructure and physical alterations to retailers payment systems. It always takes years to come about and everyone has to be doing it.

To be honest I was surprised when I tried to add my bank of Ireland card to android pay and it said it wasn't available yet. The problem with these things is infrastructure and physical alterations to retailers payment systems. It always takes years to come about and everyone has to be doing it.
    AIB and others don't seem to be having that problem. BOI is on the back foot of the tech world.

No physical alterations needed, just integration with Android Pay from BOI, shouldn't be a massive deal for any well run software team.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭duckofdeath

No physical alterations needed, just integration with Android Pay from BOI, shouldn't be a massive deal for any well run software team.

Yeah, the hardware has been there for five years. Both in our phones and in the shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

Good Afternoon Atomic Pineapple, 

Thank you for your interest on this thread. We have no immediate plans for this. Should this change we will notify everyone here with an update. 

Thank you again for your interest. 
    Elaine 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Thank you for your interest on this thread. We have no immediate plans for this. Should this change we will notify everyone here with an update. 

Elaine 
    Why are there no immediate plans? Are you planning something else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Elaine 
    We've no further information on this but please be assured, we will update you here should this change.

Thanks
    Tara

Elaine 
    Just move banks. It's not has hard as others make it out to be. Worth it in the long run. AIB banking app much better too.

Reati wrote: »

Elaine 
    Just move banks. It's not has hard as others make it out to be. Worth it in the long run. AIB banking app much better too.
    I agree... I'm not sure why, but their complete lack of interest in this is really irritating.

Reati wrote: »
    That is the plan, I have a cut off point coming up where if BOI haven't at least announced a timeline for integrating mobile payments I will be moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

Cant believe BOI is not doing anything with Android pay... 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara P

Hi All,

We've no further update on this but please be assured, we will update you here should this change.

Thanks,
    Tara C

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭TheTomahawk

Ulster Bank are now accepting Android Pay (along with Apple Pay)

http://www.breakingnews.ie/business/android-pay-now-available-for-ulster-bank-customers-787932.html

So that's all of the other major players on Android Pay.  BOI have a lot of catching up to do if they wish to remain competitive.

Ulster Bank are now accepting Android Pay (along with Apple Pay)

http://www.breakingnews.ie/business/android-pay-now-available-for-ulster-bank-customers-787932.html

So that's all of the other major players on Android Pay.  BOI have a lot of catching up to do if they wish to remain competitive.
    Excellent news, that will make it very easy to shut down my BOI accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭davidod1

It has to assumed that Bank of Ireland have no immediate plans to introduce Android or Apple Pay. A representative would surely not make a definite statement like that without checking with the 'Development Team' who would surely be the first to know if it was even on the cards.

A very very sad state of affairs.  So much for our country's efforts in progressing our image for the Smart Economy - Ps**ng against the wind I would say.

• Advertisement

On top of that, they are making it harder and harder to speak to someone in a branch... They are cutting customer facing staff, but their app is ****e and complete failures such as this are making really hard to stay. And no reason why they are not doing either... 

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Bartors

Not that Ulster Bank is on Android pay, bank of Ireland seems to be behing every one else on the technology. Any updates?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭TheTomahawk

To be honest, I don't think they really care about normal customers any more. They make a lot of money through commercial banking, and all of their recent changes in the branches themselves leads me to believe that customer banking just isn't that profitable. So why prioritise spending money in a customer area if it's of little benefit to the commercial customers? It'll likely be a long time before they introduce any sort of mobile phone payment system. If you really want to use android pay (or Apple pay), then switching bank is going to be the only option in the short to medium term, at least.

The implementation of either system can't be that hard - Google and Apple have done all the hard work. All the bank needs to do it to integrate, using some APIs that Google/Apple provide. The bank doesn't even need to do any customer facing work - it's all back end stuff. And most of it is already in place as they accept payments via non-contact credit and debit cards already.

So if BOI really wanted to introduce this feature, they really should have been able to do something by now. They haven't, and have made no timelines available (which means they currently aren't), which further shows that they just don't care.

Plus all of their latest responses are boilerplate. I pity the customer service representatives they end up taking customer grief because of how the company views customers.

Anyway:

<snip - nope>

Bartors wrote: »
    Not that Ulster Bank is on Android pay, bank of Ireland seems to be behing every one else on the technology. Any updates?
    Good Morning Bartors, 

Thanks for your feedback here on this Thread. 

While we've no updated on this as of yet, we will post here if anything changes. Thanks again to everyone for your feedback. 

Elaine 

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Evil_g

How about now? 

Evil_g wrote: »
    How about now? 
    Good Morning Evil_g, 

As mentioned, we will update this Thread as soon as we have any more information. 

Thanks, 
    Elaine 

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Robbie0013

PayPal is now accepted on android pay, can this be used to pay via a BOI linked account?

Update:
    PayPal achieve this by creating a discover card which to the best of my knowledge is not widely accepted in Ireland however somebody may be able to expand on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Darren

Robbie0013 wrote: »
    PayPal is now accepted on android pay, can this be used to pay via a BOI linked account?

Update:
    PayPal achieve this by creating a discover card which to the best of my knowledge is not widely accepted in Ireland however somebody may be able to expand on this?
    Hi Robbie0013, 

Thanks for contacting us today. You would need to check if this function is available with PayPal. 

Thanks again for messaging us today. 
    Darren.

• Advertisement

Robbie0013 wrote: »

Update:
    Hi Robbie0013, 

Thanks for contacting us today. You would need to check if this function is available with PayPal. 

Thanks again for messaging us today. 
    Darren.
    Or you could just add support for Android pay and get with the times.

Advertisement