Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neurology Residency US vs UK vs Ireland

Options
  • 16-12-2016 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi guys,

I'm A UCD undergrad med considering neurology in the future, just have a few questions that some of you may be able to answer?

1.If I go to the states and to do residency in a top tier program and come back? If i did the standard 4 years ( 1 year IM, 3 years neurology) would I come back as a Spr or consultant? If I did a fellowship too would that guarantee the equivalent of having finished HST? Would doing an MD/PhD significantly improve my CV?

2. Is an intern year in Ireland a necessity? Could I leave immediately after my degree?

3. How is the training pathway in Australia/ New Zealand? Are residencies more/less competitive? What about the UK compared to Ireland? Timeframe and competitiveness.

4. Is it possible to stay here in Ireland to train, and end up in a consultant role in a reasonable timeframe following graduation? (Is the stated 8 year pathway realistically 8 years?) and how would the quality of that training look on your resume compared to someone that had gone abroad to train?

5. The demand for neurologists will surely rise in the future with an ageing population, but how are job posts currently? and what about the UK? I would ideally like to end up working in one of the two.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭laserlad2010

pennypolyp wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'm A UCD undergrad med considering neurology in the future, just have a few questions that some of you may be able to answer?

1.If I go to the states and to do residency in a top tier program and come back? If i did the standard 4 years ( 1 year IM, 3 years neurology) would I come back as a Spr or consultant? If I did a fellowship too would that guarantee the equivalent of having finished HST? Would doing an MD/PhD significantly improve my CV?

2. Is an intern year in Ireland a necessity? Could I leave immediately after my degree?

3. How is the training pathway in Australia/ New Zealand? Are residencies more/less competitive? What about the UK compared to Ireland? Timeframe and competitiveness.

4. Is it possible to stay here in Ireland to train, and end up in a consultant role in a reasonable timeframe following graduation? (Is the stated 8 year pathway realistically 8 years?) and how would the quality of that training look on your resume compared to someone that had gone abroad to train?

5. The demand for neurologists will surely rise in the future with an ageing population, but how are job posts currently? and what about the UK? I would ideally like to end up working in one of the two.

Cheers.

1. Potentially as a consultant but it's not that likely. Most consultants have trained here as SPRs and gone off to do fellowships. Rare to see what you're suggesting.
    2. Your intern year is mandatory to obtain registration in Ireland. You can leave immediately but you cannot work in ireland thereafter.
    3. That's too long to answer well. Oz/NZ usually only registrar training, highly competitive even for natural citizens and you need to be a resident i.e. pay the cash and live there for 5 years. Average training length 5-6 years I think. UK is 8 years run through for most things.
    4. Timeframe is this:
    • 1 year as intern
    • 2 years SHO
    • 5 years SPR
    • 4 years pHD
    • 1-3 years fellowship
    • x years finished CCST but waiting for consultancy post
    Add in the years spent if you miss an exam or a job post... you're looking at minimum 10 or even 15.

5. I suggest you read any news site. Noone is taking any consultancy job. It's horrendously low paid, low value and we're all waiting to see what way the DoH and HSE jump on new contracts. You'd be mad to accept one now. Subspecialty jobs tend to be hugely oversubscribe (10-12 amazingly well qualified candidates for one job)

Advertisement