Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2017

Options
  • 16-12-2016 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭

We will again have 43 countries competing at this year's Eurovision in Kiev. Ukraine. Portugal and Romania will return to the contest, meanwhile, Bosnia & Herzegovina will not take part.

Songs from several national finals have been released, including those in Finland, Estonia, Switzerland, Georgia and Belarus. Slovenia, Italy and Germany have also (partly) released the singers that will compete in their NFs. Five countries have already told us who'll be singing for them, DiHaj for Azerbaijan, Blache (Elle Devlaux) for Belgium, Hovig for Cyprus, Jana Burčeska for Macedonia and O'3GNE for the Netherlands.

It's been heavily rumoured that Louis Walsh will announce the Irish participant tonight on the Late Late Show. Any thoughts on who it is?

Oh and guys, I recommend you watch these two songs/performances, you may like them, and their artists are vying for ESC ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭dogcat

Ireland will be sending Brendan Murray, from band Hometown. He'll have an interview on the Late Late soon.

Prepare yourselves for another flop guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Absolute bull****. The same little clique of Walsh, Linda Martin and Gail Kaneswaren picking their own acts and songs again. Same thing every year.

I remember posting after the Eurovision the hit-rate of this clique and the amount of times they have selected the Eurovision winner. I'll try root it out

Edit.

Here you go
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057546165/237/#post99740089

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Thanks for starting the thread OP, I was thinking about it but thought I'd get shot down! :D

Disappointed but unsurprised to see the tripe that we'll be sending again, but obviously it emphasises just how little RTE actually cares about Eurovision these days. Now if the song turns out to be amazing I'll be quite happy to be proved wrong... but I have my doubts :pac: If nothing else, it'll still be enjoyable to see all the usual "bloc voting!!!1!" spiel when Ireland fail to qualify.

I wonder when Ireland get overtaken by Sweden might it encourage RTE to make a serious stab at things again? They need one more win to equal our seven. Loreen will be returning for Sweden this year, really looking forward to seeing what she'll bring :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Thanks for starting the thread OP, I was thinking about it but thought I'd get shot down! :D

Disappointed but unsurprised to see the tripe that we'll be sending again, but obviously it emphasises just how little RTE actually cares about Eurovision these days. Now if the song turns out to be amazing I'll be quite happy to be proved wrong... but I have my doubts :pac: If nothing else, it'll still be enjoyable to see all the usual "bloc voting!!!1!" spiel when Ireland fail to qualify.

I wonder when Ireland get overtaken by Sweden might it encourage RTE to make a serious stab at things again? They need one more win to equal our seven. Loreen will be returning for Sweden this year, really looking forward to seeing what she'll bring :)

Block voting and the new popular excuse of "Russia fixed it" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Sounds like they will be equalling the record then.

Absolutely pathetic that RTE enlisted the help of one of Louis Walsh's crew. When's the last time Louis Walsh had a hit group? How well did Six work out?

I don't expect us to win any time soon, but ffs at least try to be competitive. At least try to send a good song and artist.

It will be the usual bullsh*t when it flops as well with corporation lickspittle Marty Whelan fuming about how it is an injustice we didn't qualify and how he was certain Brendan should have gone through. "Hold your head up high, Brendan. Shur you did us all proud up there."

Fact is if you throw your weight behind mediocrity then you are going to end up with mediocre performances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Young murray seems like a nice lad but that voice might not appeal to everyone?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I thought we were going to take the idea of last year's winner and send Gráinne Seoige singing a song about the famine :(

Current odds on Betfair:
    1. Armenia 7/2
    2. Russia 29/5
    3. Sweden 31/5
    4. Georgia 54/5
    5. Australia 64/5
    6. Estonia 76/5
    7. Slovenia 76/5
    8. Norway 83/5
    9. Denmark 88/5
    10. Hungary 25/1
    11. Poland 26/1
    12. Azerbaijan 271
    13. Italy 27/1
    14. Netherlands 27/1
    15. Romania 28/1
    16. Serbia 28/1
    17. Spain 28/1
    18. UK 31/1
    19. Germany 31/1
    20. France 35/1
    21. Ireland 37/1
    22. Lithuania 37/1
    23. Finland 39/1
    24. Ukraine 39/1
    25. Latvia 43/1
    26. Malta 43/1
    27. Belarus 45/1
    28. Belgium 47/1
    29. Cyprus 47/1
    30. Moldova 47/1
    31. Greece 51/1
    32. Israel 51/1
    33. Bulgaria 56/1
    34. Iceland 56/1
    35. Czechia 61/1
    36. Albania 66/1
    37. Austria 66/1
    38. Switzerland 66/1
    39. Croatia 75/1
    40. Montenegro 75/1
    41. Macedonia 85/1
    42. Portugal 94/1
    43. San Marino 94/1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭jaykay74

dogcat wrote: »
    Ireland will be sending Brendan Murray, from band Hometown.

Was there any competition to pick him or was he just picked by Louis ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rainman16

I watched our singer for next years contest on the late late. He's terrible, he has that iratating weak, pissy voice.

No hope again next year.

• Advertisement

It's amazing we didn't even get to the new year before knowing we're already sunk for next year's Eurovision :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

When will RTE realise that doing the same thing over and over again will always being the same result?

The Late Late Show and its audience should not be involved in picking Ireand's song. Totally wrong demographic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭jackinthemix94

Loreen isn't even guaranteed - she is just going into the national finals.

Look at the contenders:

http://www.eurovision.tv/page/news?id=sweden_melodifestivalen_2017_participants_revealed

Imagine if Ireland could have even one of them!

I might throw a few quid on Sweden winning again.

Definitely not filled with confidence seeing Louis Walsh responsible for choosing a song. 25 years ago maybe but he has zero relevance to modern music now. Knowing Louis it's probably gonna be a shíte boybandy ballad with a cheesy Stock Aiken Waterman-esque medley thrown in at the end for no discernible reason. :( You'd wonder when RTÉ are ever gonna learn their lesson and do a Eurovision selection properly. (To be fair I was a fan of Molly Sterling in 2015 but I enjoyed the song in spite of its selection method).

Don't wanna be too hard on Brendan Murray himself, I'm sure he's a nice lad and I hope he does well but his voice definitely wouldn't appeal to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Justforfun

Watched part of the Late Late of Friday. Heard Brendan Murray sing. Anybody else think he sounds like one of the Chipmunks?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Justforfun

I thought Brendan Murray sounded like a chipmunk. Has his voice broken yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Agree, he sounded like a chipmunk and unless the chipmunks are the flavour of the month we haven't a hope.
    It is not even a good voice for a ballad.

I would love if Loreen had a song as good as Euphoria - probably one of the best ever winning songs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rainman16

I think its time we stopped taking part in the Eurovision. In the last 3 years we have failed to qualify and the year before that we came dead last in the voting. The best we have done in the past 15 years was bloody Jedward

There was a time when the contest was for us, but in recent years its just been one embarrassment after another

We should have known the game was up when we were sending Dustin the feckin turkey.

Enough is enough

• Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

We haven/t been the same in the Eurovision since we put forward Dustin the turkey. What a horrible crass way to bring the competition into disrepute. We let ourselves down, and also we gave the two fingers to the competition with that one. Since then we have tried every crass formula known to man to do well in the competition. Everything bar find a decent songwriter to write a catchy decent song. Instead we get the like of Gail Kaneswaran writing a song for a girl and everything is judged on how everyone is "tryin' really hard". No. It's not about everyone trying hard. It's all about a good song that catches the imagination. No need for oiled up drummers or other gimmicks

Rainman16 wrote: »
    I think its time we stopped taking part in the Eurovision. In the last 3 years we have failed to qualify and the year before that we came dead last in the voting. The best we have done in the past 15 years was bloody Jedward

There was a time when the contest was for us, but in recent years its just been one embarrassment after another

We should have known the game was up when we were sending Dustin the feckin turkey.

Enough is enough
    That's a ridiculous statement. The Netherlands competed for nine years without qualifying, then they came ninth and second.

• Advertisement

Same discussion every year. We just need to send decent songs that are capable of having cross-Europe appeal, something we haven't done in about 15/20 years. It's really that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Same discussion every year. We just need to send decent songs that are capable of having cross-Europe appeal, something we haven't done in about 15/20 years. It's really that simple.

The difference this/next year is that we are starting off with a hard on the ear singer!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The difference this/next year is that we are starting off with a hard on the ear singer!

The embarrassment when the whole of Europe are talking about Ireland and our chipmunk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

The question is did anyone not think he sounded like a chipmunk

• Registered Users Posts: 86,709 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

So Lulu Walsh and Linda Martin are back again in the "Eurovision" camp :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Louis sending one of his boys, yeah...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

murpho999 wrote: »
    When will RTE realise that doing the same thing over and over again will always being the same result?

The Late Late Show and its audience should not be involved in picking Ireand's song. Totally wrong demographic.

I can't see things changing in the foreseeable future, alas. :o

Let's not forget, RTE are afraid of having the host the Eurovision again. Doing so four times between '93 and '97 did put a strain on their finances, after all... ;)

Rainman16 wrote: »

Enough is enough

But nor can we just pull out. It's too easy a thing to do, and the rest of Europe would in all likelihood accuse us of sour grapes if we did.

(I'm well aware that there have been plenty of withdrawals in recent years - but these were due to financial concerns or politics, rather than unhappiness at failing regularly. Plus, the countries concerned came back at the first opportunity.)

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

He sounded like a terrible version of James Blunt which is never a good starting place at all.

Its typical nepotism though and as long as it continues, the result or lack thereof, wont ever change.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭lertsnim

The embarrassment? Most of Europe sees this contest as a joke just like we do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

lertsnim wrote: »
    The embarrassment? Most of Europe sees this contest as a joke just like we do.

Sweden certainly doesn't. ;)

I don't think Italy does either, otherwise it probably wouldn't have returned in 2011 after over a decade away (plus it's finished in the top ten in four of the six years since, including second in '11 and third in '15).

Advertisement