Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Moldova coming third is arguably the biggest shock of the night, don't think anyone saw that coming.

I did. It was my favourite!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Moldova coming third is arguably the biggest shock of the night, don't think anyone saw that coming.

And three places ahead of Italy, too.

Italy didn't even get half the points that Portugal got... :D:D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Whitters22

13th in the semi overall for Ireland. 12th with jury and 12th with televote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,070 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

The most shocking moment of the night...

What was going on with Nicky Byrne's hair? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

snowflaker wrote: »
    No offence but as if STB would know anything about credible music 😄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

leahyl wrote: »
    No, it's just a lovely romantic song!

I think Graham described it well; like a song you'd hear in Lala Land

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,913 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Worst winner in ages

ukraine last year was worse, worst ever imo
    Imagine if Portugal lead the whole way through just to have it taken away in the last second, it's a daft way to decide it.

same happened last year when the aussie song was 109 ahead going into the televote and lost out by 23 having only got 4th in the tele
    I had oz backed...was counting my money :o
    Bulgaria have a knack of doing very well in the final when they qualify - they've only qualified three times but have finished fifth, fourth and now second... :D

next year it is so :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,313 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I thought it came across as placing himself on a pedestal of "real music", as if he was only deserving of such status. I don't think all the rest of the songs fit in to your above description. Azerbaijan, for example was an interesting song with some depth to it. I'm not begrudging hom the win at all, btw.

Fair enough, I take your point and there were other songs that were definitely worth of winning too, but I thought this was particularly standout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

sonic85 wrote: »
    Can anybody explain it's popularity and appeal? Put it into words? It's gone right over my head.

The only thing it seems to have is that its a slow song compared to the rest but it's not sung particularly well or anything IMO. Is it the story behind the singer or something?
    I can explain it quite succinctly.

Daniel O'Donnell :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I thought it came across as placing himself on a pedestal of "real music", as if he was only deserving of such status. I don't think all the rest of the songs fit in to your above description. Azerbaijan, for example was an interesting song with some depth to it. I'm not begrudging hom the win at all, btw.
    There's always some po faced eejit claiming that the eurovision isn't music, just so happens he won this year. It's a bit of craic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Now we now what the last secret of Fatima was!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭metrosity

I dunno where the sympathy vote came into it - it was different, melodic and sung with passion and honesty - no gimmicks, just a guy singing from the heart - that's what impressed voters

I think there was a small sympathy vote there as they never won. But the originality and form the heart melody you speak of is something missing in a lot of Irish entries in recent years.

It's not fair to say that songs that use gimmicks are bad songs. There were more gimmicks in the Belgian and Hungary songs, sure, but I like those songs more. And without the jury vote they would have been closer. Why is there still a jury vote? There seems to be a lot more politics in the jury vote so why have it at all?

If Ireland selects an entry next year that is chosen purely because it has no gimmicks, that won't help them if it's still a crap song from talentless artist(s).
    It's really simple. Pick the best song..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Moldova killed it, thrilled for them. That's the song I'll listen to again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Also, let's be honest, a large percentage of people who watch the eurovision do so purely for the cheese and gimmicks. It's not supposed to be taken all that serious, even the way the hosts present it is tongue in cheek and fun. I'd say a lot of people would stop watching if it started taking itself too seriously. It worked this time because it was a cute change and it was refreshingly simple and heartfelt. If the eurovision suddenly became a proper song contest then it wouldn't be the eurovision imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Portugal win euro 2016 and now eurovision within 12 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

do you not think stb has a point tho?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Great thread tonight! Thanks for the laughs! Goodnight all :)

wil wrote: »
    sonic85 wrote: »
    Can anybody explain it's popularity and appeal? Put it into words? It's gone right over my head.

The only thing it seems to have is that its a slow song compared to the rest but it's not sung particularly well or anything IMO. Is it the story behind the singer or something?
    I can explain it quite succinctly.

Daniel O'Donnell :eek:

Who would believe Daniel's influence was that pan European though ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Indestructable

I think the standard was exceptionally high this year, varied music and all. It's going in a good direction. I wouldn't have had it as the winner but I can see why it won. Great show all around.

Not really !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭JuanJose

Enjoyed all the contributions, folks. This thread is an invaluable addition to the ESC roadshow. Onwards to Portugal in 2018!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

Not my usual type of music, but a deserving winner that was much better than a lot of the pop dross. It was like some sort of old wartime song. As Eurovision goes, it was pretty decent.

As for Ireland, unfortunately we can't send My Lovely Horse, but maybe we should seriously consider getting Neil Hannon to write and perform a tune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭metrosity

I did. It was my favourite!

Great song and up there with Belgium and Romania and Bulgaria by the people, but nowhere by the jury. Why is there still a jury?

My wife really liked that Portuguese song even though she never saw Eurosong in her life before and is aloof to the whole thing. She said it sounded like a Disney song!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭AllForIt

That Shirley Temple Bar thing isnt funny, same bull**** Irish attitude, why do Irish people think they can be arrogant about these things? What does that fag know about Portugal? Maybe they will herald him there and he will be a legit musician in the Portuguese/Latin speaking world?

Do you have a problem with fags? Wanna fight ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,313 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Night all! First time in a few years I watched all of the Eurovision and standard seems to be going in the right direction. This thread was great entertainment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

mailburner wrote: »
    ukraine last year was worse, worst ever imo

I can't say I was a fan of "1944" either... but was it worse than Dima Bilan's "Believe" in '08? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭Panrich

I don't. It was a mean-spirited and spiteful comment. The winner did not have any of the eurovision tricks or gimmicks to back up the song. It stood or fell on his voice and the song itself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19 MALARODRGIUEZ

AllForIt wrote: »
    Do you have a problem with fags? Wanna fight ?

Get over it buddyboy. This isn't your 'safe space'. I have no problem with them but I'll call out that twat any day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,742 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

A lot better than last years winner!

Advertisement