Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

metrosity wrote: »
    I think there was a small sympathy vote there as they never won. But the originality and form the heart melody you speak of is something missing in a lot of Irish entries in recent years.

It's not fair to say that songs that use gimmicks are bad songs. There were more gimmicks in the Belgian and Hungary songs, sure, but I like those songs more. And without the jury vote they would have been closer. Why is there still a jury vote? There seems to be a lot more politics in the jury vote so why have it at all?

If Ireland selects an entry next year that is chosen purely because it has no gimmicks, that won't help them if it's still a crap song from talentless artist(s).
    It's really simple. Pick the best song..
    As for Ireland's poor showing. I'd suggest it's not just a symptom of RTEs poor choices, irish music is not in the running worldwide as it has been in the past. Very few irish songs bothering the mainstream charts in other countries these days.
    We used to have singers and bands charting all round the world selling millions.

Now it's just Hozier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

The most shocking moment of the night...

What was going on with Nicky Byrne's hair? :D

make up assistant must have gotten him mixed up with Jedward;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Ah now, we can't just send Hozier, people will think we just copied Portugal.

****e, we're sending Hozier aren't we?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

I can't say I was a fan of "1944" either... but was it worse than Dima Bilan's "Believe" in '08? ;)

Oh, I really liked Dima Bilan. I still laugh at Terry Wogan's "Michael Flatley on skates"!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

I only heard the first 12 songs and watched the remaining 14 and being honest, when Portugal came on over the radio it caught me off guard straight away. I thought it was easily the best song on the night and am not in the least bit surprised that it won quite comfortably in the end.

Very much a deserved winner for me.

One thing that did kinda scare me though was watching Sweden climb the rankings after a poor enough start. I really don't want them winning any more Eurovisions (for obvious reason! :pac:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,051 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Portugal won:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

I liked last years winner, I liked this years winner.

Both v deserved. Its a bit reductive to say all the Eurovision songs sound the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

A lot better than last years winner!

Yep, I can't even remember last year's song

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,070 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Portugal win euro 2016 and now eurovision within 12 months.

They should make a bronze statue of Salvador.

Then again, maybe not :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,313 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

That Sweden song was absolute tripe, extremely generic boring song

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,691 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Yugoslavia and Czechoslovakia. Rest easy now.

As a bonus I'll give you the USSR which contributed a vast amount of countries to the Eurovision since its breakup, probably about 15.

Ah, so your talking about the past, which doesn't really count.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Get over it buddyboy. This isn't your 'safe space'. I have no problem with them but I'll call out that twat any day.

You could make your point ( which I actually agree with ) without being so insulting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

The song won by it's virtues of voice, lyrics and music and performance, not by gimmicks or staging, so it is a fair point to acknowledge if people enjoyed those virtues, particularly in the ever camp and OTT Eurovision bubble to call him a credible singer, if not a musician.

I can't see how you can argue otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭redshoes15

Delighted with the winner. Very sweet the singer and song writer duetting in their winning performance at the end. Overall enjoyable show. Didn't like the presenters, something Very smarmy about the main two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Irish televoting gave 12 points to Romania! Well done everyone

Portugal 10, Moldova, Poland, Bulgaria

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Get over it buddyboy. This isn't your 'safe space'. I have no problem with them but I'll call out that twat any day.

Jesus, what is your problem! I am pretty sure you won't last long on this forum anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

I don't have a problem with Shirley Temple Bar per se nor with his right to comment but it was pretty mean spirited and belittling - I applauded Conchita when he won, all for diversity but I dislike the begrudgery ,fur whatever reason the tweet it was just nasty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,070 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Hilarious thread as always!

Goodnight y'all! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Giblet wrote: »
    Ah now, we can't just send Hozier, people will think we just copied Portugal.

****e, we're sending Hozier aren't we?
    Assuming you're planning to drug and hogtie the guy.
    I suspect he wouldn't be seen unbound and undrugagged on a Eurovision stage.

I fear however we might end up sending wee Daniel.

snowflaker wrote: »
    That was excellent! Portugal Douze points!

Why did I switch to Bulgaria?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Portugal win euro 2016 and now eurovision within 12 months.

They deserve their Eurovision win far more than they deserved their Euro 2016 win... :o:o

https://twitter.com/stueyt94/status/752253119690575872

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

hmmm wrote: »
    Irish televoting gave 12 points to Romania! Well done everyone

Portugal 10, Moldova, Poland, Bulgaria

I voted Portugal. :pac: :D

Results from Semi Final 2: Ireland came 13th out of 18.
    Finished 12th with both juries and televoters.
    At least Brendan had a better result than Nicky Byrne did!

2ff34c9162012599ccd7962a77964df6

They deserve their Eurovision win far more than they deserved their Euro 2016 win... :o:o

https://twitter.com/stueyt94/status/752253119690575872

They romped home here!!! So many Douze points!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

A lot better than last years winner!

Yep, I can't even remember last year's song

I somehow think tonight's winner will be remembered ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Still a fair bit behind Denmark in 10th, though... :o;)

Did San Marino send "My lovely horse"? :pac:

redshoes15 wrote: »
    Delighted with the winner. Very sweet the singer and song writer duetting in their winning performance at the end. Overall enjoyable show. Didn't like the presenters, something Very smarmy about the main two.

they were so pervy with the female jury vote announcers- can I have your phone number?

No, you can have the number of my psychologist for your clearly repressed homosexuality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,913 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

I can't say I was a fan of "1944" either... but was it worse than Dima Bilan's "Believe" in '08? ;)

you know I listened to last years song many times and I still couldnt find anything I liked about it
    this is sh1te also but I could listen to it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,115 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I think the standard was exceptionally high this year, varied music and all. It's going in a good direction. I wouldn't have had it as the winner but I can see why it won. Great show all around.

It was indeed. Last year was suprisingly boring with few decent or memorable performances.

Advertisement