Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2017

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

12 pts
    Romania
    10 pts
    Portugal
    8 pts
    Moldova
    7 pts
    Poland
    6 pts
    Bulgaria
    5 pts
    Belgium
    4 pts
    United Kingdom
    3 pts
    Croatia
    2 pts
    Hungary
    1 pts
    Italy

Our Televote so we gave UK 4 of their 12 public votes!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

sonic85 wrote: »
    Portugal is beyond sh1te but it'll be something to laugh at Saturday night if nothing else

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

murpho999 wrote: »
    Really stupid move by Innocent and they have since deleted the tweet and apolgised.

I find it amazing that so many people from the UK would expect Ireland to vote for them as they think we are loyal to them or still part of their country and secondly that people don't realise it's a song contest.

They don't single all out all the other countries that didn't vote for them.

Thought it was harmless banter to be honest rather than some little Englander Nigel Farage type bollocks. Ideally they probably should not have posted it, but I am more annoyed they deleted it and apologised to the professionally offended.

Anyway decent banter alert..

https://twitter.com/luciejones1/status/863521594106314752

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

The Eurovision hosts this year were dreadful. Tough act to follow on, but what an act
    https://youtu.be/YuszTGJlRoo

****ing hell

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Some more observations:

* The Netherlands' two key changes never really won over the televoters, which is a shame.

* Israel scored more televote points (132) than jury points (75) in the semi, whereas tonight they scored more jury points (34) than televote points (5). Peculiar, that...

* Not too surprising that Norway and (to a lesser extent) Sweden appealed more to the juries, while Romania's yodeling and Hungary's rapping were more to the televoters' tastes.

* Germany came within just two points of completing a hat-trick of last-place finishes. :eek:

* And, of course, the televoters dragged Lucie over to the right-hand side of the table. :( And it really, really wasn't because of Br***t - after all, they weren't kind to Joe and Jake last year either...

Some more observations:

* The Netherlands' two key changes never really won over the televoters, which is a shame.

* Israel scored more televote points (132) than jury points (75) in the semi, whereas tonight they scored more jury points (34) than televote points (5). Peculiar, that...

* Not too surprising that Norway and (to a lesser extent) Sweden appealed more to the juries, while Romania's yodeling and Hungary's rapping were more to the televoters' tastes.

* Germany came within just two points of completing a hat-trick of last-place finishes. :eek:

* And, of course, the televoters dragged Lucie over to the right-hand side of the table. :( And it really, really wasn't because of Br***t - after all, they weren't kind to Joe and Jake last year either...

No everyone hates the UK regardless

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Overall I'd say I'm please for the country of Portugal more so than their song. They've waited a long time for this. Whilst I'm not surprised they swept the jury vote I am shocked they swept the televote too, they won with a Euphoria/Fairytale scoreline, it might even be the highest televote ever? Didn't think the average viewer would go for it at all.

snowflaker wrote: »
    No everyone hates the UK regardless

Not in 2009, though - Jade Ewen came fifth.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Did anyone else like the Hungary entry? It was my favourite song on the night!

Top 3 was Moldova and Portugal, so happy with the winner.

Loved Hungary, Moldova and Belarus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Caoimhgh1n

The voting is laid out well here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

Lotta snide stuff on Twitter from the Brits about Portuguese winner

Caoimhgh1n wrote: »
    The voting is laid out well here.

So Portugal got at least five televote points from every other country - and at least five points from every other jury except the Bulgarian and Montenegrin ones.

To quote Murray Walker: fantastic. :D;)

murray-walker.jpg

Dustin didnt finish dead last the year he entered- embarrassing for the countries below him...

snowflaker wrote: »
    Dustin didnt finish dead last the year he entered- embarrassing for the countries below him...

Andorra, Belgium, Estonia and San Marino, for the record. :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

why the booing for cyprus?

Robsweezie wrote: »
    why the booing for cyprus?

There was booing for Greece too. It wasn't a coincidence... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

So Portugal got at least five televote points from every other country - and at least five points from every other jury except the Bulgarian and Montenegrin ones.

To quote Murray Walker: fantastic. :D;)

murray-walker.jpg

:D

These facts and this Murray Walker reference both impress me greatly,

Douze Points, GHG :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭sonic85

mailburner wrote: »

lmao
    giphy.gif

"Shrugs"

I stand by what I've said all along. Don't like the song and don't get why it was so popular. I laughed when I saw it for the first time the other night and laughed at it again tonight so at least I got something from it!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,972 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Lotta snide stuff on Twitter from the Brits about Portuguese winner

https://twitter.com/greg_jenner/status/863483344234926080
    That is hilarious though lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭raiders11

Moldova cost me a good bit ousting Belgium out of third:mad:.
    Had all my my each way money on Belgium and Sweden, PP were top 3, presume other bookies were paying more places??

Seven of us in house tonight and we all hate that Portugal song, how is it so popular?

Turns out moonie guy *isn't* Australian - but a notorious Ukrainian prankster...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-14/eurovision-streaker-takes-to-stage-draped-in-australian-flag/8524784

So we'll almost certainly be seeing the Aussies in Portugal next year, then. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Thought it was harmless banter to be honest rather than some little Englander Nigel Farage type bollocks. Ideally they probably should not have posted it, but I am more annoyed they deleted it and apologised to the professionally offended.

Anyway decent banter alert..

https://twitter.com/luciejones1/status/863521594106314752

I don't see it as banter as I don't get why the UK think that Ireland should just vote for them. They don't seem to realise we're not in the UK.

Also, why don't they complain about all the the countries that didn't vote for them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭cinnamony

My favourite song was Belgium, thought she at least deserved 2nd place but thats that. Cannot believe the amount of comments I've seen complaining Portugal won because of neighbours voting for each other though. Are these people for real?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭raiders11

cinnamony wrote: »
    My favourite song was Belgium, thought she at least deserved 2nd place but thats that. Cannot believe the amount of comments I've seen complaining Portugal won because of neighbours voting for each other though. Are these people for real?

My heart, said Belgium from once i heard it last weekend. The jury vote was def not a neighbourly thing, had good interest in Sweden too and the Scandanavian and Baltic countries usually combine but if memory proves me right, Lithuania, Latvia. Estonia and Poland all gave Portugal 12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭cinnamony

raiders11 wrote: »
    My heart, said Belgium from once i heard it last weekend. The jury vote was def not a neighbourly thing, had good interest in Sweden too and the Scandanavian and Baltic countries usually combine but if memory proves me right, Lithuania, Latvia. Estonia and Poland all gave Portugal 12
    I think she lost some votes because she looked frightened, less than in the semi finals but you could still tell was there. Still love song though and think she has a beautiful voice!
    Yeah I thought there was a fair share of votes too, of course you did have some neighborhood votes (Spain-Portugal, Cyprus-Greece) but Portugal only has Spain as a neighbour. I don't like the song either but I feel that argument and the political argument are not fit this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Just reading up on Jacques Houdek, the Croatian entrant.....colour me surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

joeysoap wrote: »
    How did the Irish jury not think the uk song wasn't worth even 1 point? It wasn't great but it wasn't that bad. I think when it didn't show in the initial points Graham thought they were going to get the 12. That was never going to happen but no points?

I tried to vote for the UK with the number given and couldn't get through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

I found the English translations to the lyrics of the winning song for Portugal. And it is really a worthy winner,
    A quite beautiful, yet simple love song. And it's like the singer said. "Music is not about fireworks, It's about feeling" This could be a good sign that Eurovision is moving away from the most bizarre and focusing on the music.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Wouldn't have killed us to give the neighbours a few points, in fairness they used to always vote for Ireland when we were in it.

It's time for us to call it off, we just don't seem to have anyone good enough to get anywhere in the competition.

People complain about block voting but if the singer and the song is good it will do well.

Advertisement