Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2017

Options

Comments

Listened to Portugal's song again.

Still think it's lovely. An actually good song. His bringing his sister to do a duet and wanting her to share in the moment was equally as beautiful.

A deserved winner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

People think steps won last year's Eurovision the way they are carrying on!

Last year's song was far more meaningful- just less gentle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Still convinced the bookies rigged it to ensure a favourite won!

• Registered Users Posts: 72,687 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Enjoyed last night's show...and the thread. :)

And yes, Moldova has been downloaded :blush:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Some more observations:

* The Netherlands' two key changes never really won over the televoters, which is a shame.

Tlthar's because they didn't have any stools...

• Advertisement

Some more observations:

* The Netherlands' two key changes never really won over the televoters, which is a shame.

That's because they didn't have any stools...

Some more observations:

That's because they didn't have any stools...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Wouldn't have killed us to give the neighbours a few points, in fairness they used to always vote for Ireland when we were in it.

It's time for us to call it off, we just don't seem to have anyone good enough to get anywhere in the competition.

People complain about block voting but if the singer and the song is good it will do well.

Bit hypocritical to do this when it is precisely the aspect of modern day Eurovision we complain about.

and then you go on to say "if the song is good enough it will do well" ;)

Sorry about the multiple posts..mods delete as necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭The Parish Priest.

Eurovision kills careers stone dead in this country, Mickey Joe, Chris Doren, Donna & Joe, Dustin, Sinead Mulvey, Jedward, Casey Smith, Ryan Dolan, Molly Sterling, where are they now ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

I've always loved the Eurovision, bar those few years 1998-2001 when I was out every Saturday night and thought it was a big naff, until I learned to love it again (probably for different reasons second time 'round!), but with social media now, it's made it so much better. Love reading the articles and tweets the morning after!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Eurovision kills careers stone dead in this country, Mickey Joe, Chris Doren, Donna & Joe, Dustin, Sinead Mulvey, Jedward, Casey Smith, Ryan Dolan, Molly Sterling, where are they now ?

To be fair though, we'd have never heard of them if it wasn't for Eurovision. Their careers took off (temporarily) because of Eurovision. Those who were well known before representing Ireland, still have a career - Brian Kennedy, Jedward, Nicky Byrne....

Maybe what you meant to say is, Eurovision doesn't make (long lasting) careers for Irish contestants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Still convinced the bookies rigged it to ensure a favourite won!

Bookies hate when favourites win - They would have loved a Moldova win.

Big money went on Portugal. They were 12/1 last Sunday, then 6/1 before semifinal, 4/1 after, then gradually into 6/4.

Odds follow the money. Bookies don't change odds based on emotion - purely money flows. They always win, but they win bigger when an outsider comes in.

Yeah, because Donna and Joe and Molly Sterling's etc careers were booming beforehand!!

Joe was actually a bootcamp contestant on X Factor last year :D

And Jedward are still rolling it in,, recently made a quarter of a million for sitting in a house for a couple of weeks!

How are 2013's Hungary's, Macedonia's, Belgiums, Cyprus's and Denmarks etc careers gong!

Eurovsion can make a career, it doesn't ruin one though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

Having a look back at some of the performances and semi finalist today - really surprised the Czech Republic song didn't make the final - not half bad and miles ahead of some of last night's performances

https://youtu.be/BoLWemuLP_g

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Bit hypocritical to do this when it is precisely the aspect of modern day Eurovision we complain about.

and then you go on to say "if the song is good enough it will do well" ;)

You seem to be taking the thing very seriously, it's only a song contest nobody died.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Although a Tory councillor is also taking it seriously, he tweeted last night that Ireland could keep "our fooking gypsies" and a hard border is coming.

Silly man.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

You seem to be taking the thing very seriously, it's only a song contest nobody died.

??? Eh, no I amn't!

The Eurovision isn't even my thing at all! Can you not comment on a thread without being accused of "taking the thing very seriously". If anything, I am taking the p1ss out of those who take t seriously!

I am merely saying that the Irish and British moan about block voting and then say, like yourself, "it wouldn't have killed us to give the UK a few votes!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Having a look back at some of the performances and semi finalist today - really surprised the Czech Republic song didn't make the final - not half bad and miles ahead of some of last night's performances

https://youtu.be/BoLWemuLP_g

Agree Czech was the best song (composition). A strong song is one that can be listened to after a couple of decades without a squinting of the eyes e.g. hits from Neil Diamond, Abba, Led Zepp, Bowie, Nirvana, ACDC, Carpenters etc.

Moldova (3rd) may not survive any real test of time, neither Ita's synthetic effort, it's poorly 6th place shocked many. It was boosted very early by social media, but 100k likes on media isn't reality.

Albania delivered a good vocal but was eliminated early also. Swedes did well with points. Wilson Philips did a great live job surprised they didn't take the babbling 8th placer.

1st Port 758
    2. Bug 615
    3. Moldova 374
    4. Belg 365
    5. Swed 344
    6. Ita 344
    7. Rom 282
    8. Hung 200
    9. Aussie 173
    10. Nor 158

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Right2Write

vicwatson wrote: »
    That arse guy is gonna get a doing over in Ukraine !

Wonder what happened to him :) Not the best choice of country to insult I'd think. They might take a dim view of it. Dare say he got a few digs and is probably languishing in a cell now. All the same, it was one of the better moments of the night.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Like they were ever going to have long lasting careers :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

I wouldnt have chosen portugal for the victory, as the only thing that stood out to me in the semi finals was what he was doing with his hands. The song felt tame, like something you'd hear humming away in a restaurant. Maybe it'll grow on me.

As for our entry, it wasn't the worst we ever sent. A perfectly serviceable yet dated song, but a bit too x factor. You could see the louis walsh influence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

RobertKK wrote: »

What an idiot. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Wonder what happened to him :) Not the best choice of country to insult I'd think. They might take a dim view of it. Dare say he got a few digs and is probably languishing in a cell now. All the same, it was one of the better moments of the night.

He insulted Australia, you know that? ;)

Like they were ever going to have long lasting careers :pac:

Jedward are still big... even if they don't make much music now. :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭cml387

Fair dues to Ukraine for putting on a stunning show. Plus the song standard was once again pretty high.

If you do a search for top ten eurovision songs on youtube, it's interesting how many of them come from the last ten years.

"Euphoria" for Sweden in 2012.
    "Only Teardrops" for Denmark in 2013

And others.

So forget the tactical voting nonsense.The standard of songwriting is exceptional and you need to really shape up if you want to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,687 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Ukraine put on a great show. :)

I can safely say that nobody missed Russia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

snowflaker wrote: »
    Dustin didnt finish dead last the year he entered- embarrassing for the countries below him...

I remember some of the Irish Eurosong contestants being visibly sickened at losing out to him; don't blame them! It basically made a mockery of their efforts.

murpho999 wrote: »
    I don't see it as banter as I don't get why the UK think that Ireland should just vote for them.

It's a joke based on the notion that in the Eurovision, neighbouring countries always vote for each other. Lighten up!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 864 ✭✭✭neverever1

Murrisk wrote: »
    I remember some of the Irish Eurosong contestants being visibly sickened at losing out to him; don't blame them! It basically made a mockery of their efforts.

It's a joke competition, Dustin was funny.

• Advertisement

neverever1 wrote: »
    It's a joke competition, Dustin was funny.

No, it was really terrible. Fell totally flat. Sounded awful. Was an in-joke that Ireland seemed to expect the rest of Europe to get.

Why is it considered a joke competition just because Ireland doesn't come near winning now? Sometimes countries vote for their neighbours but generally the best songs in the competition rise to the top. We just need better songs. Portugal are hardly Eurovision titans and they won it.

Advertisement