Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2017

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Eurovision kills careers stone dead in this country, Mickey Joe, Chris Doren, Donna & Joe, Dustin, Sinead Mulvey, Jedward, Casey Smith, Ryan Dolan, Molly Sterling, where are they now ?

How were their careers before Eurovision???

neverever1 wrote: »
    It's a joke competition, Dustin was funny.

Funny as Ebola

I gave the song that finished second Douze points two years running!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 864 ✭✭✭neverever1

Murrisk wrote: »
    No, it was really terrible. Fell totally flat. Sounded awful. Was an in-joke that Ireland seemed to expect the rest of Europe to get.

Why is it considered a joke competition just because Ireland doesn't come near winning now? Sometimes countries vote for their neighbours but generally the best songs in the competition rise to the top. We just need better songs. Portugal are hardly Eurovision titans and they won it.

Who cares if no one else got it? It was funny as **** watching all the 'serious' Eurovision people go mental about it. :D

The eurovision is just a glitzy show with a lot of freaky acts and a bit of light entertainment. Not to be taken seriously.

Who cares if no one else got it? It was funny as **** watching all the 'serious' Eurovision people go mental about it. :D

The eurovision is just a glitzy show with a lot of freaky acts and a bit of light entertainment. Not to be taken seriously.

He could have done it on a bad RTE skit show- it would have fitted in better

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

Who cares if no one else got it? It was funny as **** watching all the 'serious' Eurovision people go mental about it.

Irish people didn't get it either once it was presented on stage at the Eurovision. It was just terrible and unfunny to pretty much everyone watching.

As for the plea to not take it too seriously, I'd argue that sending a gag act betrays Ireland taking it all a bit too seriously. A bit of foot-stamping disguised as an (apparent) joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

http://eurovisionworld.com/?eurovision=2017#ireland

I think its quite shocking how the Irish jury vote and the Irish televote differed. I'm not saying one is obviously right and one is obviously wrong. But they are significantly different. Doesn't look as though the Irish jury is representative of the Irish tele vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭The Parish Priest.

Listen it's perfectly simple why we sent Dustin, a couple of years earlier we did a proper effort with Brain Kennedy but he only got 90 points but the song below got 165 points https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rbNfxTtJp0M

cml387 wrote: »
    Fair dues to Ukraine for putting on a stunning show. Plus the song standard was once again pretty high.

If you do a search for top ten eurovision songs on youtube, it's interesting how many of them come from the last ten years.

"Euphoria" for Sweden in 2012.
    "Only Teardrops" for Denmark in 2013

And others.

So forget the tactical voting nonsense.The standard of songwriting is exceptional and you need to really shape up if you want to win.

I wasn't that impressed by the show- felt unpolished. Not a patch on Sweden.

Listen it's perfectly simple why we sent Dustin, a couple of years earlier we did a proper effort with Brain Kennedy but he only got 90 points but the song below got 165 points https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rbNfxTtJp0M

A poor imitation Dustin's was and it insulted everyone

• Advertisement

So yes, foot-stamping and taking it too seriously. Brian shitting Kennedy, FFS. He is very much not to everyone's taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,687 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Ah, a night we will never forget.

Streaker-Eurovision-933944.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

snowflaker wrote: »
    cml387 wrote: »
    Fair dues to Ukraine for putting on a stunning show. Plus the song standard was once again pretty high.

If you do a search for top ten eurovision songs on youtube, it's interesting how many of them come from the last ten years.

"Euphoria" for Sweden in 2012.
    "Only Teardrops" for Denmark in 2013

And others.

So forget the tactical voting nonsense.The standard of songwriting is exceptional and you need to really shape up if you want to win.

I wasn't that impressed by the show- felt unpolished. Not a patch on Sweden.

Whatever about the technical presentation side of the contest , the presenters were cringeworthy at times , inane patronising babble - but I suppose that's part of the spectacle , as if it's not to be taken seriously ? It is light entertainment after all ! Still pretty happy with the winner though and hard luck to Belgium

He could have done it on a bad RTE skit show- it would have fitted in better

Why not do it on a bigger stage? It was a good laugh.

Why not do it on a bigger stage? It was a good laugh.

For whom? No one found it funny!

Irish people didn't get it either once it was presented on stage at the Eurovision. It was just terrible and unfunny to pretty much everyone watching.

As for the plea to not take it too seriously, I'd argue that sending a gag act betrays Ireland taking it all a bit too seriously. A bit of foot-stamping disguised as an (apparent) joke.

Maybe you mean you didn't find it funny. Many of us were laughing our holes off! :D

The eurovision aficionados in Ireland were outraged that we voted Dustin to go. That was the only foot stamping that was going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭The Parish Priest.

A poor imitation Dustin's was and it insulted everyone

Ah it didn't do too bad really, 15th in the semi final so the exact same result Nicky Byrne had last year:D

Ah it didn't do too bad really, 15th in the semi final so the exact same result Nicky Byrne had last year:D

Scarlet for an Nicky

So yes, foot-stamping and taking it too seriously. Brian shitting Kennedy, FFS. He is very much not to everyone's taste.

No, sending Dustin because it was hilarious. He was in a ****in trolley or something. :pac:

For whom? No one found it funny!

People who take the eurovision too seriously didn't find it funny. The rest of us laughed!

• Advertisement

People who take the eurovision too seriously didn't find it funny. The rest of us laughed!

Apart from you I haven't heard anyone else say it was funny.

Apart from you I haven't heard anyone else say it was funny.

You must be apart of the eurovision posse then!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭joeysoap

I tried to vote for the UK with the number given and couldn't get through

The tele vote did give the uk 4 points, so some votes got through

I was referring to our jury of 'experts' who thought the uk entry wasn't worth even 1 point.

joeysoap wrote: »
    The tele vote did give the uk 4 points, so some votes got through

I was referring to our jury of 'experts' who thought the uk entry wasn't worth even 1 point.

They deserved nothing. I don't see what the problem is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭cml387

May I make a belated apology to Australia. The man who bared his behind last night was in fact Ukranian.

Maybe you mean you didn't find it funny. Many of us were laughing our holes off! :D

The eurovision aficionados in Ireland were outraged that we voted Dustin to go. That was the only foot stamping that was going on.

Well, I'm personally not an aficionado. A casual watcher at best, in that I don't watch it every year. My father at first thought it was hilarious that Dustin was sent, as he was in the "The Eurovision is a joke" camp. I remember him practically rubbing his hands together waiting for Dustin's turn to come up and then quickly recoiling back into his chair at the cringeworthiness of it all. I can't say that nobody found it funny but I recall that the consensus was that it was embarrassing and painfully unfunny.

It just made us look like brittle eejits.

Well, I'm personally not an aficionado. A casual watcher at best, in that I don't watch it every year. My father at first thought it was hilarious that Dustin was sent, as he was in the "The Eurovision is a joke" camp. I remember him practically rubbing his hands together waiting for Dustin's turn to come up and then quickly recoiling back into his chair at the cringeworthiness of it all. I can't say that nobody found it funny but I recall that the consensus was that it was embarrassing and painfully unfunny.

It just made us look like brittle eejits.

Have you seen some of the freak acts? They're just a bit of craic, the same as Dustin. No one takes it seriously except for the hardcore. Everyone else in every other country just have a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

No, it was really terrible. Fell totally flat. Sounded awful. Was an in-joke that Ireland seemed to expect the rest of Europe to get.

Why is it considered a joke competition just because Ireland doesn't come near winning now? Sometimes countries vote for their neighbours but generally the best songs in the competition rise to the top. We just need better songs. Portugal are hardly Eurovision titans and they won it.

To be fair, around that time wasn't a great time for Eurovision and it was considered a bit of a joke. The new EU assession states at that time were voting en masse in their new adopted countries for their home countries. Also the Eastern Europeans were bringing the big drums and fireworks as part of their performances but the songs weren't great, but getting good scores. They were still finding their feet as a lot of those counties had only started competing in the competition a few years previous. That's why a lot of people voted for Lordi in 2006, as they were a bit mad, and one of the "old" Eurovision countries. Although, I think maybe Dustin was a year or two late with his protest song, as things had gotten slightly better and calmed down once the novelty of being in the competition wore off for the Eastern Europeans.

Still though, things were bad enough though for them to bring back the jury and split it with the televote.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Have you seen some of the freak acts? They're just a bit of craic, the same as Dustin. No one takes it seriously except for the hardcore. Everyone else in every other country just have a laugh.

Well, that's simply not true. Eurovision has millions of fans who follow the news and updates all year round, it's not just a one week a year event. Furthermore, a lot of countries take it extremely seriously and have full blown selection processes which takes weeks at a time. They often send their biggest stars, where partaking in Eurovision is seen as a huge honour and a chance to show off the best of what that country has to offer. It's only really seen as a joke from bitter countries like Ireland and Britain who have regressed hugely and choose to sulk rather than try and evolve with the competition. So to sum up my point, most countries take it seriously.

Regarding Dustin, I actually supported sending him at the time, because why the hell not :pac: It was the height of bloc voting, Eastern Europe had, for a while, taken over the voting and made the show highly predictable and deeply unfair. Not that anyone really cared, but it was a huge middle finger to the competition and at the time I think it reflected our mood pretty well. I wouldn't send an act like that again, but I don't regret that Ireland sent it either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

You could argue Lordi were a "freak" act... yet they won.

You could argue Conchita was a "freak" act... yet (s)he won too.

And they didn't win just because they were "freak" acts... they won because they had brilliant songs. "Hard Rock Hallelujah" is undoubtedly one of the best Eurovision songs of the 21st century.

:):):)

Advertisement