Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2017

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

CeilingFly wrote: »

There will always be the exception - Greece & Cyprus :)

Ha, yes. :) And even the jury votes of these countries always go the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

neverever1 wrote: »
    Have you seen some of the freak acts? They're just a bit of craic, the same as Dustin. No one takes it seriously except for the hardcore. Everyone else in every other country just have a laugh.

"Having a laugh" suggests you could send some bloke from down the pub and he would do well. Even the novelty acts in Eurovision are very strong singers and professional performers ie. the Romanian yodelling pair, the Croatian tenor bloke, the Moldovan epic sax guys. These were no amateurs from pub karaoke making a fool of themselves : they put on fantastic stage shows.

Comparing them to Dustin would be a bit of an insult. He sounded awful, the act wasn't funny and it was a very long three minutes (and deservedly bombed in the voting).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

fryup wrote: »
    the start of the belguim song reminds me of a recent chart hit, and its annoying me..anyone know it??

I also can't put my finger on it but the moment I heard it I knew it was familiar.. I think it's an ok song, but not great, it feels like it should be better, like it's building up to something epic but it just doesn't go anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

fryup wrote: »
    no not that

would it be kodaline?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 864 ✭✭✭neverever1

Strazdas wrote: »
    "Having a laugh" suggests you could send some bloke from down the pub and he would do well. Even the novelty acts in Eurovision are very strong singers and professional performers ie. the Romanian yodelling pair, the Croatian tenor bloke, the Moldovan epic sax guys. These were no amateurs from pub karaoke making a fool of themselves : they put on fantastic stage shows.

Comparing them to Dustin would be a bit of an insult. He sounded awful, the act wasn't funny and it was a very long three minutes (and deservedly bombed in the voting).

That's what made it so funny! A turkey who couldn't sing just having the craic. He won the vote and that it still pisses off the eurovision nazis nearly 10 years later still makes it funny today!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

What untruths?

I'm just going on your comments here, you seem to be getting worked up over the ins and outs of it all!

Eh, what? All I did was explain to you that what you were saying was incorrect, that it's incorrect to say that "no one takes it seriously except for the hardcore", and that everyone else in every other country "just have a laugh". That's not the case, and that's all I was pointing out. Not sure who was getting worked up really, certainly not me. Perhaps you just don't like being corrected?

Eh, what? All I did was explain to you that what you were saying was incorrect, that it's incorrect to say that "no one takes it seriously except for the hardcore", and that everyone else in every other country "just have a laugh". That's not the case, and that's all I was pointing out. Not sure who was getting worked up really, certainly not me. Perhaps you just don't like being corrected?

The hardcore in every country take it seriously and everyone else doesn't, that is a correct statement! You've realised that but can't let it go and admit you were wrong. On the internet. :D That's a bit embarrassing.
    You do get worked up over it all, see your posts on the bloc voting and all the ins and outs, it's just the eurovision, chilax!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

Totally agree. That's why my padre went from thinking it was funny to cowering in the corner. My dad is pretty musical and a good singer (has lots of experience singing in and running choirs so knows something of the hard work that is needed to make an act come together) and he was pretty disgusted with how piss poor it was. He thought that there'd at least be good backing singers and that they'd shape it somehow into a somewhat decent performance. It was just absolutely awful. Even funny acts need plenty of work behind the scenes. In fact, it would made much more a point if it had been better. They failed at what they were trying to achieve because it was so poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

That's what made it so funny! A turkey who couldn't sing just having the craic. He won the vote and that it still pisses off the eurovision nazis nearly 10 years later still makes it funny today!

He wasn't funny in Eurovision though, was he? A comedy or novelty act that nobody around Europe actually voted for (thus disproving your theory that you can send any sort of rubbish act that's 'having a laugh' and it will do well). The reaction of most people was 'What the hell was that?' and not in a good or funny way.

• Advertisement

He wasn't funny in Eurovision though, was he? A comedy or novelty act that nobody around Europe actually voted for (thus disproving your theory that you can send any sort of rubbish act that's 'having a laugh' and it will do well). The reaction of most people was 'What the hell was that?' and not in a good or funny way.

He was in my opinion and many other Irish people! I didn't say it would do well, I said it was having a laugh. Doesn't matter where songs come, it's all a bit of craic!

I was wondering what Louis had to say for himself after his handpicked act failed yet again. Turns out he "wouldn't have changed a thing" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,748 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Captain-Picard-Facepalm.jpg

Fair enough that you thought Dustin was great... but you can't force everyone else to think the same. :o

To most others this thread (including myself), he was a genuine embarrassment. He was booed that night in Belgrade, and quite rightly too. And while we generally don't have much time for Dima Bilan's winning song, at least it was much better.

If you respect everyone else's views, we will respect yours. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Fair enough that you thought Dustin was great... but you can't force everyone else to think the same. :o

To most others this thread (including myself), he was a genuine embarrassment. He was booed that night in Belgrade, and quite rightly too. And while we generally don't have much time for Dima Bilan's winning song, at least it was much better.

I remember the year dustin entered, the alternatives would have failed miserably too

I remember the year dustin entered, the alternatives would have failed miserably too

I disagree actually, Leona Daly's song was quite decent I thought, I certainly think it would've qualified.

They wouldn't have flipped the proverbial bird (no pun intended) in Serbia though. ;)

If 2008 wasn't the nadir of Ireland's Eurovision history, I don't know what was...

He was voted in, the majority of Irish people who voted wanted him there. He didn't do well at the contest but neither does any Irish act these days!

I disagree actually, Leona Daly's song was quite decent I thought, I certainly think it would've qualified.

Well there was a vote and Dustin won. Respect the wishes of the Irish people.

it was a decent song, but would have come near last.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

for a second i thought the chap flashing his hole was a dancer or something. Turns out he's vitalii sediuk, he has form in that hes assaulted kim k, brad pitt and got slapped by will smith after trying to kiss him.

He was voted in, the majority of Irish people who voted wanted him there. He didn't do well at the contest but neither does any Irish act these days!

Jedward finished 8th in 2011. That counts as doing well, surely? :o:D;)

And it is true that Dustin was selected by public vote - but let's not forget that this was right at the end of the Celtic Tiger... ;);)

Nowhere did it get a more hostile than at the Irish final itself. I love watching this clip with all the booing :pac:

Tried to find his winning performance as well where you see most of the audience walking out but it's not available any more. Oh and I'd still send Dustin over Dervish any day :o

it was a decent song, but would have come near last.

I think it could've come at least mid table, top ten at a push. Decent songs from the west were still capable of performing well back then, Norway came 5th that year. But, we'll never know I guess. Pretty sure I still voted Dustin over her though :pac:

Speaking of Leona, I had always wondered what became of her. Turns out she was seriously ill for a while and even slipped into a coma.

Reminds me a bit of when the UK nearly sent Katie Price in 2005... :o:o;)

katie-price-sing-cms.jpg

She got booed on the BBC's selection show, too - in her case because of who she was, and because she couldn't sing for love nor toffee.

Yet she finished a close second to Javine - and miles ahead of Gina G as well...

A lot of fans weren't exactly thrilled with Salvador's speech when he won, and it hasn't gone unnoticed by some of the other contestants either

Here's Robin Bengtsson on Instagram
    From a press conference in Kiev, probably talking about "fast food" disposable music @salvadorsobral.music 😉 Congrats on your victory, I really like your song and the way you sing it, but I think your speech after winning the ESC was below the level of a true winner. "Fast food" pop music can be the best thing in the world at the right place and time, so can a song beautiful as yours. There is room for everyone. To all my new friends from all over Europe, hope to see you again soon❤ Had a blast and the experience of a lifetime🎉 #celebratediversity #esc2017

Yeah I didn't like the speech either, came across quite ungrateful.

the fact the other contestants are ganging up on Salvador for saying something which Is correct says a lot about the seriousness of the competition and how dustin was received!!

Yeah a lot of the eurovision nazis take it very, very seriously. They need to get a life.

the fact the other contestants are ganging up on Salvador for saying something which Is correct says a lot about the seriousness of the competition and how dustin was received!!

What he was saying was probably true, but you know what you're getting when you enter Eurovision. It's hardly the most appropriate place to bemoan the state of the music industry, plus it was a pretty obvious dig at most of his competitors, so it's understandable they're not exactly pleased with his comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I think he was dead right. And fair play to him for having the guts to call a spade a spade, especially when this years standard of song was largely forgettable and interchangeable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,959 ✭✭✭Liamalone

So, did we win?

Advertisement