Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2017

Options
1127128129130131133»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Liamalone wrote: »
    So, did we win?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,960 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Yes.

Praise be for Johnny!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

It's nearly three weeks ago now, but I may as well bring up RTE's article following our latest failure:

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2017/0511/874456-ireland-eurovision-brendan-murray-dying-to-try/

Notice the first thing that Michael Kealy says? "It's hard to qualify these days. And people may not appreciate that."

Sorry, Michael, but I simply can't resist posting this video... :o:o:o:o;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I just found out you can get the look back of this years Eurovision Song Contest on DVD & Blu-ray.

hmv.ie are selling the DVD & Blu-ray for €29.99 each. Release date from them is the 20th of June.

http://www.hmv.ie/Eurovision-Song-Contest-2017-Kiev/movies-games-entertainment/pd/1084026?path=Category__Movies__Blu-ray

http://www.hmv.ie/Eurovision-Song-Contest-2017-Kiev/movies-games-entertainment/pd/1084025?path=dvd

Amazon are selling the Blu-ray for £29.99. Release date from them is on the 23rd of June.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eurovision-Song-Contest-2017-Blu-ray/dp/B06XKKVMRX/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1497490901&sr=8-6&keywords=eurovision+song+contest

Oh look neverever1 has been banned
    giphy.gif

Anyway, couple of article I saw that I fogot to post. If there's any doubt as to how deeply in the sh*t Ireland are, here's Marty Whelan insisting that RTE are "doing nothing wrong" at Eurovision. Heck even Brendan Murray gets it.

Meanwhile, I've no idea what to make of this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Caoimhgh1n

I'm a massive Eurovision fan, but it almost pains me to say that I think RTÉ need to stop sending songs. It's not that we can't win, it's the fact everything RTÉ does is completely wrong.

They really need to get their act together (pun not intended) and get the three aspects right. Singer, song and standing. You need all three to do well.

That would probably end up being a worse version of Slavko.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Caoimhgh1n wrote: »
    I'm a massive Eurovision fan, but it almost pains me to say that I think RTÉ need to stop sending songs. It's not that we can't win, it's the fact everything RTÉ does is completely wrong.

They really need to get their act together (pun not intended) and get the three aspects right. Singer, song and standing. You need all three to do well.

That would probably end up being a worse version of Slavko.

That would mean some RTE staff giving up the chance to head to somewhere fancy in Europe for a free week's holiday every year at taxpayers expense. That is not going to happen, not in a million years. RTE staff don't care who wins or loses. They do care about being on the gravy train, always have and always will.

Maybe TV3 should be given the chance to organise it at least one time. I can't see them doing any worse than the frankly abysmal entries RTE continue to send out.

In RTE, everything ends up a race to the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,481 ✭✭✭valoren

Still loving the Bulgaria entry.

valoren wrote: »
    Still loving the Bulgaria entry.

It's one of the two songs I listen to most regularly, along with Belgium.

Maybe TV3 should be given the chance to organise it at least one time. I can't see them doing any worse than the frankly abysmal entries RTE continue to send out.

Only broadcasting companies with EBU membership can take part in the Eurovision - and TV3 don't have this membership.

TG4 do, though.

:o:);)

• Advertisement

Only broadcasting companies with EBU membership can take part in the Eurovision - and TV3 don't have this membership.

TG4 do, though.

:o:);)

I'd love to see a song i nGaeilge.. :o:p

They've sent one for Junior Eurovision, although I don't think it was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

There was just one, years ago. Maybe it's time for another.

They've sent one for Junior Eurovision, although I don't think it was great.

Neither of the songs we've sent to JESC were going to win. I like that they're (mostly) in Irish though.
    feargale wrote: »

Yeah, Sandie Jones, Ceol an Ghrá.. I still like that song.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Neither of the songs we've sent to JESC were going to win. I like that they're (mostly) in Irish though.

Yeah, Sandie Jones, Ceol an Ghrá.. I still like that song.

Now that brings back memories, just about. 1972, if I remember correctly, in the days when every house in Ireland was glued to the Eurovision.

The excitement of being left up late to watch it...... I can't remember the last time I actually sat down to watch the Eurovision, from start to finish. It's MANY, MANY years ago now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

feargale wrote: »

Surely it is indeed time for something different. A traditional type song sung in Irish or both Irish and English would be worth a go anyway. Sadly, strict adherence to this Louis Walsh sound has not done us any favours.

The EBU has slapped UA:PBC with a €200,000 fine over its organisation of this year's contest. Perhaps unsurprisingly, UA:PBC will appeal against this fine.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-40447810

News from a few days ago, this year's winner Salvador Sobral is in intensive care.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

hope he pulls through, nice song he wrote

Salvador has had a heart transplant:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-42296971

• Advertisement

Terrific news, hope he'll be ok going forward.

So... how long until we start the 2018 thread? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,813 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Terrific news, hope he'll be ok going forward.

I've heard rumours the Irish entrant is already chosen but there is no info on their identity yet, seems the announcement may be after Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,972 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Strazdas wrote: »
    I've heard rumours the Irish entrant is already chosen but there is no info on their identity yet, seems the announcement may be after Christmas.
    Were there not rumours it was John Lydon....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,813 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

gmisk wrote: »
    Were there not rumours it was John Lydon....

The story is that John Lydon has indeed entered a song into the selection, but there was an open call for songs by RTE during the autumn, meaning hundreds of other songs / singers have been entered as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,050 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Strazdas wrote: »
    The story is that John Lydon has indeed entered a song into the selection, but there was an open call for songs by RTE during the autumn, meaning hundreds of other songs / singers have been entered as well.

I can safely say whoever wins will not be better than john lydon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

I heard Samantha Mumba is meant to be interested too.

It's actually up already... :D;)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057798327

Advertisement