Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2017

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

lertsnim wrote: »
    The embarrassment? Most of Europe sees this contest as a joke just like we do.

That's just it though, they don't. Most countries have national finals with semi-final rounds too, like Melodifestivalen for example, where their biggest and best performers and songwriters take part. Most of Eastern Europe send their biggest stars, where partaking in Eurovision is seen as a huge honour. Most of the people they send already have a large fanbase across a lot of Eastern European countries, hence why they always score well amongst their neighbours. It's exactly the attitude like yours as to why Ireland find themselves in the position they're currently in.

First song!

Albania

We probably won't be heading to Tirana in 2018, that's for sure :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭ebbsy

dogcat wrote: »
    We will again have 43 countries competing at this year's Eurovision in Kiev. Ukraine. Portugal and Romania will return to the contest, meanwhile, Bosnia & Herzegovina will not take part.

Songs from several national finals have been released, including those in Finland, Estonia, Switzerland, Georgia and Belarus. Slovenia, Italy and Germany have also (partly) released the singers that will compete in their NFs. Five countries have already told us who'll be singing for them, DiHaj for Azerbaijan, Blache (Elle Devlaux) for Belgium, Hovig for Cyprus, Jana Burčeska for Macedonia and O'3GNE for the Netherlands.

It's been heavily rumoured that Louis Walsh will announce the Irish participant tonight on the Late Late Show. Any thoughts on who it is?

Oh and guys, I recommend you watch these two songs/performances, you may like them, and their artists are vying for ESC ;)

I've voted for the top bird. Multiple times.

Two more entries have been confirmed:

Belarus:
    A somewhat frantic folksy number. The lack of polish and abundance of energy is actually quite charming. I hope they don't go translating it to English though, it would lose a lot of its charm if they do that. Doesn't hold enough appeal to be a contender but might make it into the final:

Georgia:
    Passable Bond theme. Zero points for originality but it should do well enough. Not sure the organisers will care for those political backgrounds though!

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭dogcat

Two more entries have been confirmed:

Belarus:
    A somewhat frantic folksy number. The lack of polish and abundance of energy is actually quite charming. I hope they don't go translating it to English though, it would lose a lot of its charm if they do that. Doesn't hold enough appeal to be a contender but might make it into the final
    The song is in Belarusian and will be the first time we'll hear the language in the competition :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Stevecw wrote: »

Lucie Jones (ex X Factor, now doing musicals) wins the UK Selection

Finland

A rather nice ambient number. Not bad at all. Some viewers may find it a bit dull but the juries will probably appreciate the quality of the vocals and the arrangement. I don't think it's a winner but I'd like it to do well. :)

Finally listened to everything picked, Finland by far the best so far, loving the piano solo! It's going to be another year of misery for the UK I feel, I'm thinking a bottom right finish for them. It could pick up a few jury votes alright but I can't see much love from the public. Not to worry though, they've now got the Brexit excuse on top of the usual "everyone hates us!!!1!" spiel :pac:

The allocation draw was done, and here are the results:

First Semi-Final
    First half
    Montenegro
    Finland
    Georgia
    Portugal
    Belgium
    Sweden
    Albania
    Azerbaijan
    Australia

Second half
    Cyprus
    Slovenia
    Armenia
    Moldova
    Czech Republic
    Latvia
    Iceland
    Greece
    Poland

Italy, Spain and the UK vote here

Second Semi-Final
    First half
    F.Y.R. Macedonia
    Malta
    The Netherlands
    Serbia
    Denmark
    Russia
    Romania
    Hungary
    Austria
    Ireland

Second half
    Switzerland
    Estonia
    Israel
    Bulgaria
    San Marino
    Lithuania
    Croatia
    Norway
    Belarus

France, Germany and Ukraine voting here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

The allocation draw was done, and here are the results:

First Semi-Final
    First half
    Montenegro
    Finland
    Georgia
    Portugal
    Belgium
    Sweden
    Albania
    Azerbaijan
    Australia

Second half
    Cyprus
    Slovenia
    Armenia
    Moldova
    Czech Republic
    Latvia
    Iceland
    Greece
    Poland

Italy, Spain and the UK vote here

Second Semi-Final
    First half
    F.Y.R. Macedonia
    Malta
    The Netherlands
    Serbia
    Denmark
    Russia
    Romania
    Hungary
    Austria
    Ireland

Second half
    Switzerland
    Estonia
    Israel
    Bulgaria
    San Marino
    Lithuania
    Croatia
    Norway
    Belarus

France, Germany and Ukraine voting here

That's a really bad draw overall. No UK to vote for us and a lot of strong countries who always do well in our semi final.
    Also I see there's 19 in sf 2 & only 18 in the 1st one.

Need something amazing to get through and hard to see that happening.

Switzerland

Methinks they will stay in the semi final.

France

France are shooting up the odds :D

France are shooting up the odds :D

Mmmm, it's a decent enough entry but I don't think it has as much "mainstream" appeal as last year's did. It's not gonna be a nul pointer but I doubt it will be a serious challenger either. I'd guess it will finish somewhere mid-table.

Meanwhile, hier ist Deutschland:

Oh dear, a second rate version of David Guetta and Sia's "Titanium". Not good.

Given that they finished bottom last year with a song that was better than this, and bottom the year before with a song that was better than the one last year, it could very well be a hat-trick of consecutive last place finishes for the Germans (has that ever happened to any country before?!).

Nope, no country came last three in a row, but Austria and Malta have come last twice in a row before apparently.

Spain

A little bit of drama here, since Mirela won the televoting, with Manel being third in it, but the three jurors got to pick over the televote. Two of the three jurors went with Manel, and apparently one of those two jurors has been heavily promoting Manel's song on his radio station.

Italy
    Italy's going with this masterbop

The studio version pales in comparison to the live, which has a dancing gorilla, but since RAI blocks uploads of its content to YouTube, I'll link the live performance.

http://www.raiplay.it/video/2017/02/Francesco-Gabbani---Occidentaliaposs-Karma---Sanremo--556a6501-fbfd-4fb0-98fa-86359fc8ae2a.html

Italy's now third in betfair odds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

murpho999 wrote: »
    When will RTE realise that doing the same thing over and over again will always being the same result?

They do realise this :)

Two quite strange entries there from Spain and Italy.

The Spanish one is ok in parts (the verses are fine, and the strange instrumental bit after the chorus is irritatingly catchy) but the chorus itself brings the rest of the song down. "Clap your hands and do it for your lover" is nursery rhyme stuff.

Italy's pretty much the last country I would have expected to send something a bit bonkers with a dancing gorilla! As daft as it is though, the song itself is actually very catchy. The biggest obstacle for me is that his voice is a bit grating, but overall it certainly beats most of what's been submitted so far.

Finland is still the standout thus far for me though; I suspect it may be a "Calm Before The Storm"-esque entry that won't be fancied at all beforehand but then comes to life in the semi-finals.

My personal ranking at the moment:

1. Finland
    2. Italy
    3. France
    4. Belarus
    5. Spain
    6. Albania
    7. Switzerland
    8. United Kingdom
    9. Georgia
    10. Germany

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Caoimhgh1n

Although I quite like Timebelle, I feel that Ginta Biku would have done better with the visuals and French lyrics.

I feel Circle of Light would have went down better than Blackbird for Finland, Norma John is a very good singer though.

Again, I feel like Wildfire is slightly better than Perfect Life for Germany.

Don't like Georgia's song at all. Tako is a good singer though, but the song is awful.

Spain's song is awful. None of the songs in the selection were that good though.

I very much like Requiem by Alma for France.

I love Botë by Lindita. Sadly they're changing it to English.

I can't tell whether I like Francesco's song for Italy.

Lucie Jones was the best out of a bad lot for the United Kingdom.

I like Belarus, simply because it stands out and is quite cheerful.

1. France
    2. Switzerland
    3. Albania
    4. Belarus
    5. Finland
    6. Germany
    7. U.K.
    8. Italy (Can't decide if I like it or not)
    9. Spain
    10. Georgia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

A sample of the branding for this year's Eurovision.

Interesting that you follow some of the national finals, Caoimhe :D I didn't think that many people here did that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Somebody played a bit of Brendan Muarry to me over the weekend. Wouldn't be my cup of tea tbh, the voice doesn't sound too strong, there's a bit of an Alvin and The Chipmunks vibe off it.

Does anyone know when the actual song itself will be selected?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Caoimhgh1n

Interesting that you follow some of the national finals, Caoimhe :D I didn't think that many people here did that.

I'm a huge Eurovision fan. :D I follow everything all year. Lol.

Haven't posted in a few days, my thoughts on the latest developments:

France: Don't think much tbh, disappointed they've reverted back to all French after their brief experiment with English worked so well.

Germany: Even excluding the Titanium likeness, it's not a great song.

Spain: Terrible, and he sounded as flat as a pancake. Didn't listen to the song that he beat that caused all the controversey, but if it was decent then it's understandable.

Italy: I like it, the only song so far that sounds like it could be top 10/5, but hard not to look at it as gimmicky when they've got a dancing gorilla on stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Ireland will be sending Brendan Murray, from band Hometown. He'll have an interview on the Late Late soon.

Prepare yourselves for another flop guys!

Getting back to the key point here, is there anything that can be done to prevent this chap going to the Eurovision. He seems like a nice chap but it is going to be excruciating and cringey for all concerned, him , me, you, everybody.

Nothing can be done, but I guess we have to wait for the song. I'm not expecting much, but I am hearing rumours that Leah McFall is writing our entry. Not sure if that's true, but if she has, I'm excited, since her latest material is way up my street.

One thing I'm not looking forward to is the usual fake shock from Marty Whelan when Ireland fail to qualify. He does it every year but last year's was just ridiculous :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

One thing I'm not looking forward to is the usual fake shock from Marty Whelan when Ireland fail to qualify. He does it every year but last year's was just ridiculous :rolleyes:

I can't say I dislike Marty - but, Jaysus, listening to him immediately after Nicky failed to qualify, you'd think he thought it was the worst possible thing in the world...

It was so off-putting, in fact, that I've decided to stop watching RTE's coverage for the foreseeable future. Perhaps if Dáithí Ó Sé or Bláthnaid Ní Chofaigh replaced him, I'd be tempted to watch again... :o:o:D;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,714 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Some of the songs so far in melodifestivalen have been amazing.....Sweden could be right among the favourites again....

Advertisement