Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Were 7/4 just to qualify for the final!!! That's bad

For anyone that doesn't understand odds if you put €4 on Ireland to qualify, you lose €4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Can't believe I'll miss the final on Saturday due to sister's Communion. The only thing I look forward to all year has been robbed from me, I go through 364 days of filler to get to Eurovision and it's been snatched. Another 368 days to go!

Easily sorted, go the the communion which is usually in the morning. Then there's always a lunch in hotel or food back in some relations house. Do that, but as the day drifts on just start to not feel well. That damn dodgy food, then just go to your room/get a taxi home...watch Eurovision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

snowflaker wrote: »
    Were 7/4 just to qualify for the final!!! That's bad

For anyone that doesn't understand odds if you put €4 on Ireland to qualify, you lose €4
    Or you get 7 euro back....but yeah the song is hopeless...might as well just throw the money away

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Finland fans very butthurt on twitter

Well tbf they've got a point, it was infinitely better than Greece and Poland. In fact I thought Finland was one of the best of the night, they're the only NQ that shocked me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

It's fair to say it's been unpredictable so far, Monte was a fairly poor song but 'pure eurovis' yet it didn't qualify.
    Belgium did the worst performance of the night yet went through. Moldova was cheesy nonsense yet made it in.
    Only 10 places from 18, nearly half got dropped so a few good songs missed out.

The big surprises were Poland's very good performance.
    Moldova went from over 150/1 down to as low as 34/1.
    Cyrus also has exceeded market expectations, as show in the odds chart below:

Screen_Shot_2017-05-09_at_22.44.11.png

Another oddity is that the Brexiteers are now up as 7th fav, not sure how that is happening.

• Advertisement

gmisk wrote: »
    Or you get 7 euro back....but yeah the song is hopeless...might as well just throw the money away

if they got through you'd win €7, and get €11 back in total, to clarify

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I quite like the UK song. Surprised it scores so low.

Armenia is the standout for me. I don't understand Italy or Portugal, and I don't expect the Eastern Europeans will either.

if they got through you'd win €7, and get €11 back in total, to clarify
    Sorry meant to say plus your stake :)

I still have the below bets going
    Netherlands top 5
    Azerbaijan top 5
    Cyprus top 10
    Macedonia to qualify...so will be glued to it still. Looking forward to semi 2 but standard from what I have seen isn't great...

The ten qualifiers from tonight have drawn their halves for Saturday night's final:

First half:
    Moldova
    Portugal
    Armenia
    Azerbaijan
    Poland

Second half:
    Sweden
    Belgium
    Greece
    Cyprus
    Australia

Moldova could be a good one to open the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭dadad231

What about Australia ?
    did they almost win it last year ? will they compete this year ?

• Advertisement

dadad231 wrote: »
    What about Australia ?
    did they almost win it last year ? will they compete this year ?

They qualified SF1 alright but odds/chances have drifted somewhat, it's a decent tune so should at the very least be in the top 10 anyway.

Glad Belgium got second half. She's gone back up to 6th favourite after tonight. Glad Poland got stuck in the first half, hope they get put on 2nd :pac: Sad that Greece, Spain and Germany have second half slots. I expect both Italy and Portugal will be put somewhere in 10-13.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

as far as im concerned, irelands not even in it.

Some general thoughts on Semi Final 1:

- Azerbaijan and Armenia went up a lot in my estimations, didn't think too much of them previously.
    - Moldova is great. I know it's trash but it's a lot of fun. I think they'll get top ten in the televote but juries will destroy them
    - Sweden has a terrific, slick routine.. but there really isn't much of a song
    - Finland was clearly one of the better songs of the night. As I said on another thread, I'd guess that they performed very poorly with the televoters and the juries only ranked them 7th or 8th
    - Greece is about as cheap and disposable as Eurovision can get and has no business being in the final
    - Despite her very obvious nerves, I still think Belgium is great and was the best song of they night, if not the best performance. I think Blanche is back on course to contend for a top five finish, but not a winner.
    - Portugal is the kind of song that I can appreciate but not actually particularly like, if that makes sense. A possible, but unlikely winner. Should certainly get them their best finish to date though.
    - On to the big 5 rehearsal clips: Lucie is doing a great job of turning an average song into a great song. Looking forward to seeing it in full on Saturday night
    - I was a little taken aback by the brief clip of Italy, it didn't look and sound as good as it should have. A little bit less confident now, but I'd still pick it to take the title.

Overall an enjoyable, if poor quality semi. Looking forward to Thursday now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

For a guy who had to lission to Italian pop music from the 70s to mouden day for over 10 years in work Italys song is not bad and i like it and the fact he won San Remo means that he is considered extramly good in Italy picture winning the x factor this would be 10 steps higher in Italy.

I hope they win it to be fair but i still think there song from 2015 was one of the best they have had.

PS i am very one sided from Italy never mind the fact i am 1/2 Italian .......

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Amik

Sad my Czech Republic bet didn't go through. She had a terrific performance, and seemed very emotional too. Lots of talk about her in the lead for the Barbara Dex Award but I thought she looked great - suit reflected the stage lights nicely.

The Greek singer is beautiful but I'm surprised she went through with that song. Bleh.

Poland was flawless. I'm feeling a high top ten finish on Saturday for her.

Very surprised Belgium made it through. I'm worried Eurovision is going to ruin Blanche. She seemed petrified, as if forced to be there. Staging for that song was quite dull too. Where was the light orb from the video?

Shocked I enjoyed Jamala's interval performances. That second song was quite good.

Need to win back my few Euros on Thursday! Any suggestions?

Amik wrote: »
    Sad my Czech Republic bet didn't go through. She had a terrific performance, and seemed very emotional too. Lots of talk about her in the lead for the Barbara Dex Award but I thought she looked great - suit reflected the stage lights nicely.

The Greek singer is beautiful but I'm surprised she went through with that song. Bleh.

Poland was flawless. I'm feeling a high top ten finish on Saturday for her.

Very surprised Belgium made it through. I'm worried Eurovision is going to ruin Blanche. She seemed petrified, as if forced to be there. Staging for that song was quite dull too. Where was the light orb from the video?

Shocked I enjoyed Jamala's interval performances. That second song was quite good.

Need to win back my few Euros on Thursday! Any suggestions?

Agree, Czech was a classy number and Poland improved greatly live on an already well produced official studio song/video, which is unusual.

If SF1 was a fresh audition Belgium would certainly not get through, good hooks but an extremely painful performance set in a low octave. It's 4th fav now!?! Maybe it has got the sympathy vote from anxiety sufferers.

Sorry to say but Jamala will always sound like a bag of wailing cats descending rapidly on a steep incline of an echo chamber.

There may be some value with Aussies doing well, @81 but only 3places 1/4pl. They made 2nd last year and this isn't much different musically.

SF2 the wildcards to qualify are FYR and Swiss, but low value @2.25. Factoring in selection is 10/18 not really attractive. Ire is @2.75 to qualify, but if you expect to get 275 euro back from 100 invested on them, may be waiting a while - calculated this slow waltz's BPM rate is below 85, so barely alive, musically.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Belgium has moved up to 4th in the betting.
    I do think they are the dark horses with people talking about Italy and Portugal.
    Italy doesn't do anything for me unless it is a grower of a song.
    Portugal, might as well be a lullaby to put a baby asleep.

One hour after the semifinals, the most streamed songs:

1. Belgium 25,760 streams
    2. Portugal 22,080
    3. Greece 17,676
    4. Italy 14,784
    5. Poland 13,681
    6. UK 12,070
    7. Azerbaijan 11,127
    8. Spain 10,970
    9. Australia 10,368
    10. Sweden 9,459

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Belgium was by far the best song, only one I didn't fast forward through anyway.

Whats the sexiest female act in eurovision this year?

It's France's Alma for me. Tall, leggy, and dark features. Always daydream I'm on a date with her in Paris whenever I watch her official video.

Don't like her song but also find Greece's Demy very attractive. Gorgeous face especially.

alma.jpg

• Advertisement

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Belgium was by far the best song, only one I didn't fast forward through anyway.
    I tend to agree, the music video/recorded version is terrific also.....I am just not sure her style and the song are a good fit for Eurovision, she is only 17 and seems insanely nervous but growing into it I think, her performance last night was a lot better than the rehearsals.

gmisk wrote: »
    I tend to agree, the music video/recorded version is terrific also.....I am just not sure her style and the song are a good fit for Eurovision, she is only 17 and seems insanely nervous but growing into it I think, her performance last night was a lot better than the rehearsals.

I keep forgetting how young she is. Don't you think the staging is awful though? I really thought Belgium would put in a better effort considering they were favourites from the beginning. Bulgaria's staging looks like it will be simple but has some interesting effects that make it more interesting.

I keep forgetting how young she is. Don't you think the staging is awful though? I really thought Belgium would put in a better effort considering they were favourites from the beginning. Bulgaria's staging looks like it will be simple but has some interesting effects that make it more interesting.
    The staging is dull as dishwater totally agree, I see she is now back up to 4th favourite, I think the staging for the UK entry is pretty spectacular for example, roughly 7th favourite and been climbing all week.

Bulgaria rehearsals were very solid, he is only 17 too! but the wealth of experience shines through compared to Blanche alas.

I expect Netherlands to come down odds wise after semi 2, love their voices and the song should stand out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,085 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

dclane wrote: »
    Whats the sexiest female act in eurovision this year?

Australia.

I love her hair.

I keep forgetting how young she is. Don't you think the staging is awful though? I really thought Belgium would put in a better effort considering they were favourites from the beginning.

Think the INXS-lookalike Aussie singer is also same age. Belgium drifted out to 80/1 last week. Now back at 20/1. It has the best hook, but could turn out to be a sinker if she doesn't high five some of the audience in the final.

Portugal is now joint fav, after the novelty of Ita has started to wear off.

The UK is up to 6th fav, this is still a mystery, perhaps it also exists in a parallel quantum universe where it exists in much better stead. She looks a very pleasant lady, and is probably staged well, but the song is a tad dreary.

The Aussies have shockingly drifted way out to 150/1. Sweden may offer some value at 25/1. These two were top 5's not so long ago.

The Aussies have shockingly drifted way out to 150/1. Sweden may offer some value at 25/1. These two were top 5's not so long ago.

Not surprised after his poor performance yesterday. I listened again at work today and he completely missed 3 notes. I don't think the Australia novelty will get him as many votes as his predecessors.

Just looked at the Outright odds and WOW, what a shift! 2/3 of the countries are in the over 100/1 range now. Surprised to see Azerbaijan at 150, I quite enjoyed her yesterday.

Tempted to put something on Belgium.

Portugal are right up with Italy now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Brendan performed tonight for the juries. Sang it well, but as I am thinking all along it's just such a boring song and won't qualify. His song is around -1.37.00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMDqen8FsTc

Stevecw wrote: »
    Brendan performed tonight for the juries. Sang it well, but as I am thinking all along it's just such a boring song and won't qualify. His song is around -1.33.00

Fingers crossed for him tomorrow. I find the chorus catchy but it will be tough.

Seems like a really nice guy. He's representing us well there. Very active on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/brendan_m96

• Advertisement

A Eurovision blogger ranked him 14th in his semi on twitter based on his Jury performance

Advertisement