Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭dogcat

I dislike all of the songs in Melfest that made it DTF. Dismissed going to AC was good, but I'm still crying over Roger Pontare flopping with a masterpiece of a song :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Can't wait to hear Loreen's song, I'm expecting it to be good given it'll be the five year anniversary of Euphoria.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,972 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

dogcat wrote: »
    I dislike all of the songs in Melfest that made it DTF. Dismissed going to AC was good, but I'm still crying over Roger Pontare flopping with a masterpiece of a song :(
    I think the Nano song and ace wilder ones could both do well tbh.
    Sure we will see! The dismissed song definitely stood out, pretty catchy
    Cant wait to see what loreen has to offer....it cant be any worse than charlotte perrelli!
    I have a huge soft spot for the dinah nah song...pure cheese.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

The contest could be in trouble. 21 members of the Ukranian Eurovision team have resigned including two executive producers.

BBC:
    The Eurovision Song Contest has hit a major road bump, after 21 top level staff organising the event resigned.

The Ukrainian Eurovision team say they were stripped of major responsibilities in December, when a new boss was appointed to the organising committee.

According to their resignation letter, they were "completely blocked" from making decisions about the show.

The EBU, which founded Eurovision, told Ukraine's public broadcaster to "stick to the timeline" despite the upheaval.

It insisted the event would go ahead as planned in Kiev this May.

Among the team members who resigned were two executive producers of this year's show.

All the staff were appointed by the Ukraine Public Broadcaster (UA:PBC), which is organising the contest after Ukrainian singer Jamala won last year's event with the song 1944.

In an open letter published by Strana, the team said: "Hereby we, the Eurovision team, for whom this contest has become not only part of our work but also part of our life, officially inform that we are resigning and stopping work on preparations for the organisation of the contest."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Caoimhgh1n

Joci Pápai will sing Origo for Hungary.

Kasia Moś will sing Flashlight for Poland.

Claudia Faniello will sing Breathlessly for Malta.

• Advertisement

Caoimhgh1n wrote: »

Well none of those is a winner, anyway. Three countries that have a generally good record at Eurovision but I wouldn't be surprised if none of these make it to the final.

Hungary: Probably the best of the three, as it has some nice instrumental parts and the ethnic Romani style will make it stand out a bit. The rapping is so unnecessary though, and throws the rest of it off.

Poland: This doesn't have much of a chorus, does it? She has a strong voice but the song really doesn't go anywhere. It sounds a bit early-90's Celine Dion "soft rock" to me.

Malta: Yawn. Nobody's going to be excited for such a bland ballad as this. Tea break song.

I think that Poland's a dead-cert for the final. It's one of my favourite songs in the contest thus far, and it will have support from the juries. I think in the final it'll place similarly to "Lovewave"

I have been thinking about it and it changes slightly every so often, but here is my top 13 at the moment.

1. France
    2. Switzerland
    3. Albania
    4. Poland
    5. Belarus
    6. Hungary
    7. Italy
    8. Finland
    9. Germany
    10. United Kingdom
    11. Georgia
    12. Malta
    13. Spain

Just had a listen there, nothing really jumping out at me. That Maltese song would have been old fashioned twenty years ago, so can't see it doing much in 2017.

Rehearsal clip of Loreen here. Another audio clip here.

My first impression based on what little we have is that it pales in comparison to Euphoria, but what wouldn't?

• Advertisement

Wiktoria was one of my favourites last year, not sure what I make of this.

Slovenia:

Another yawnfest. Not gonna be in the final.

Slovenia:

Another yawnfest. Not gonna be in the final.

A lot of people - rightfully - upset that BQL weren't picked when they had a much better song. Would've stood out in a semi of ballads too.

Don't like the song. Another chance missed by a country.

Interestingly, Loreen only came 3rd in the Melodifestivalen rehearsal audience poll, Wiktoria came 1st. I wasn't expecting another Euphoria but I'll be disappointed if it turns out to be not very good.

From the leaked full rehearsal, I am loving Loreen's song much more than "Euphoria" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

dogcat wrote: »
    From the leaked full rehearsal, I am loving Loreen's song much more than "Euphoria" :D

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Do ye think she is capable of a Johnny Logan? ;)

Can't find the full rehearsal but my initial impression on the bit that has leaked is a positive one. Loreen is a ferocious live performer, and the song sounds like it could be a bit of a belter; it sounds like it's a bit harsher than "Euphoria" and probably less catchy but at least it's not just a carbon copy or a weak safe ballad. Obviously will need to see full live performance before judging, I don't follow Melodifestivalen generally (or any of the national selections) but the standard must be pretty damn high if Loreen is fighting for a place in the final!

Moldova:

Epic Sax Guy returns! Which should give you a clue as to how ridiculous this is.
    It sounds like it fell out of the early 90's imo. The novelty factor and the fact that it's upbeat may get it some televotes but I can't imagine juries going for it (at least not ones taking the contest seriously!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭The Parish Priest.

This is going to be just another very forgettable year for Ireland, RTE could at least send a bad household name like Nathan Carter or Crystal swing to generate some interest amongst the general public, sending non entities just doesn't cut it and has resulted in ratings plummeting the past few years.

Delighted Wiktoria got through.

Who do ye think will represent Sweden this year?

I'm hoping that "Statements" will win against Anton in AC and then do a 2013 (with a much better result in the actual contest though)

Anja Nissen will represent Denmark.

Two more confirmed.

Ukraine:

They certainly won't be hosting it two years in a row. It's just.....meh.

Denmark:

Again just meh. It's not awful but there's nothing original there either.

Finland and Italy still by far the top two so far imo. I do like Loreen's "Statements" but it doesn't look like Sweden's too keen on picking it. :(

Delighted Wiktoria got through.

Who do ye think will represent Sweden this year?

I haven't been following Melodifest before tonight so I don't know any of the songs that have already made it to the final but I did listen to the two that qualified ahead of Loreen tonight and wasn't overly impressed. Personally I thought Wiktoria's song was dreadful but evidently a lot of people seem to like it.

This is going to be just another very forgettable year for Ireland, RTE could at least send a bad household name like Nathan Carter or Crystal swing to generate some interest amongst the general public, sending non entities just doesn't cut it and has resulted in ratings plummeting the past few years.

We sent a bad household name last year, and look how well that turned out! :p
    I agree that it's not looking great but I would rather send a non-entity who's at least competent and won't embarrass themselves/us than to send a bad novelty act like Crystal Swing. Brendan Murray definitely has a marmite voice but he can at least sing in tune, if RTÉ could find a contemporary singer-songwriter type tune that actually suits his voice then he could do ok.

Of course, it's entirely possible (probably even) that RTÉ doesn't want Ireland to do well. Heaven forbid they have to host and organise it, and pay for it! :rolleyes:

Finally listened to Statements in full, style over substance comes to mind.

Really dislike the Ukrainian entry.

Loreen's live vocals.

Wiktoria's live vocals.

That Moldovan song is better than most of what's been picked so far :eek::o

• Advertisement

My ranking of the entries thus far (liable to change drastically as May approaches!):

1. Finland
    2. Italy
    3. France
    4. Belarus
    5. Hungary
    6. Albania
    7. Spain
    8. Switzerland
    9. Denmark
    10. Poland
    11. Ukraine
    12. UK