Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2017

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Caoimhgh1n

My ranking of the entries thus far (liable to change drastically as May approaches!):

1. Finland
    2. Italy
    3. France
    4. Belarus
    5. Hungary
    6. Albania
    7. Spain
    8. Switzerland
    9. Denmark
    10. Poland
    11. Ukraine
    12. UK
    13. Georgia
    14. Moldova
    15. Malta
    16. Slovenia
    17. Germany

It's interesting to see other people's top list and how they differ to yours. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I don't know whether it's the lack of decent entries thus far or what but.. the Moldovan song is really growing on me. Kinda sounds like a Major Lazer/Ian Carey Project mix. If they get rid of the silly wedding theme I think it could do alright in Kiev.

Latvia chose this tonight. Decent, if not a winner. Should look good on the stage in Kiev. That's three consecutive strong efforts from Latvia now. Pirates of the Sea is a distant memory :eek:

Yeah, was just watching it there. Definitely a good choice, will stand out. I wonder what the juries will make of it? They have a chance to make a great impact with this, they need to think of a good gimmick/visual to win viewers over.

I don't know what to make of the juries in general really, they rated that truly average 'Heroes' song highly a couple of years back, giving it the win against the public's will. They also ranked Italy 1st back in 2011, in an extremely obvious ploy to make them stay in the competition. A lot of the Eastern European juries don't play fair and are corrupt, making their reintroduction futile at times. I was all for the reintroduction of the juries, but the last two or three years has made me cynical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭dogcat

The Austrian entry was released at midnight:

https://open.spotify.com/track/1WpQu8U3quBeGnhpZn0r7N

• Registered Users Posts: 32,714 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Caoimhgh1n wrote: »
    Delighted Wiktoria got through.

Who do ye think will represent Sweden this year?
    I think the nano song has a great chance of winning the non.
    Adore the Loreen statements but takes a few listens

The hosts have been announced.

Johnny Logan, as always, telling the truth about RTE and Eurovision. Surprisingly, RTE actually responded, although there appears to be confusion on their part as to where Eurovision is being held this year :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Johnny Logan, as always, telling the truth about RTE and Eurovision. Surprisingly, RTE actually responded, although there appears to be confusion on their part as to where Eurovision is being held this year :rolleyes:

They can't withdraw, though. Too easy a thing to do, and if they do the rest of Europe will accuse them of being butthurt. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭IMBACKLATER

Last year RTE were the first broadcaster to release its Eurovision entry,in order to maximise on promoting it as much as possible for as long as possible,with zero results

is this years tactic to release Irelands entry as late as possible, so it dosen't fade and burn into obscurity too early,or have they forgotten to choose a song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭A_smurf

I'm betting that they will have yet another Eurovision themed night on the Late Late Show, with a big (anti-climax) buildup to Brendan and the chosen song for Ireland on the night.

Croatia's song...... ummm, yeah....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Last year RTE were the first broadcaster to release its Eurovision entry,in order to maximise on promoting it as much as possible for as long as possible,with zero results

is this years tactic to release Irelands entry as late as possible, so it dosen't fade and burn into obscurity too early,or have they forgotten to choose a song.

Problem is they did virtually zero promotion of it. I get the impression a large number of people in Ireland were scarcely even aware of the song before the Contest.

Netherlands

Austria

Cyprus

Sweden news
    Loreen is out in Sweden :(

Estonia

Just selected for Romania. I quite like it!

Not the biggest fan..

I know yodelling is usually awful but I think it works quite well here :o

I'd be surprised if we've seen the winner yet but I do think Italy could contend, and will probably be top 5 in the final.

Portugal

• Advertisement

The yodelling Romanians are definitely not my cup of tea but I'm very much liking Portugal's entry. It's old fashioned without being dated, if that makes sense? And his awkward performance is actually quite endearing. I reckon this will give them thebest result they've had for a while.

Greece

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

This is going to be just another very forgettable year for Ireland, RTE could at least send a bad household name like Nathan Carter or Crystal swing to generate some interest amongst the general public, sending non entities just doesn't cut it and has resulted in ratings plummeting the past few years.

I notice this year there is not even any promotion of the singer or the song at all. Usually, Tubridy would be parading it on his show on Friday. Very mute about it. Of course, it is a poor choice and perhaps with last year's overhype of Nicky Byrne they have kept this year's song a secret.

It would be a good idea to send a bad modern 'country' act out there. Nathan Carter and Crystal Swing are not the worst, so I'd choose someone more dislikeable. I'd like to see Mike Denver go over and crash and take the arrogant grin and swagger away from this smug idiot. Also, it would be lovely to see Lee Matthews, producer of woeful electropop and modern 'country' drivel, go out there and crash. These 2 are not only poor singers with poor material but are also not meant to be the nicest.

Australia

Australian entry is quite decent. I imagine it will sound very good live.

Don't like the Greek entry at all, something very cheap and tacky about it. The lyrics are ridiculous: "this is love, rain falls from above" -
    a. where else is rain supposed to fall from, and b. what relevance is it other than for a simple rhyme?

She may as well be singing "This is love, I have lost my glove". :rolleyes:

I know it's said every single year, but this is certainly a weak year so far. Still a few big guns left to reveal though, so I'm sure we'll be feeling different in a couple of weeks. Russia, Serbia, Armenia or Azerbaijan could all pull something out of the bag. Hopeful of Bulgaria too after their terrific attempt last year.

I notice this year there is not even any promotion of the singer or the song at all. Usually, Tubridy would be parading it on his show on Friday. Very mute about it. Of course, it is a poor choice and perhaps with last year's overhype of Nicky Byrne they have kept this year's song a secret.

It would be a good idea to send a bad modern 'country' act out there. Nathan Carter and Crystal Swing are not the worst, so I'd choose someone more dislikeable. I'd like to see Mike Denver go over and crash and take the arrogant grin and swagger away from this smug idiot. Also, it would be lovely to see Lee Matthews, producer of woeful electropop and modern 'country' drivel, go out there and crash. These 2 are not only poor singers with poor material but are also not meant to be the nicest.

As I said in post #60, listening to Marty Whelan immediately after Nicky failed to qualify for the final, it was as if he thought nothing in the world could be any worse... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;)

He'd probably sound the same if we did send Mike Denver, Nathan Carter or Crystal Swing and they too failed to make it out of the semi-final.

Hence, I won't be watching RTE's coverage for the foreseeable future. If Marty does move on, I might be tempted back - but for now, it's just Graham and the Beeb for me. :o;)

dogcat wrote: »
    Australia

Hope Isaiah does well - he'll certainly have a lot to live up to after Guy and Dami.

Czech Republic:

Pleasant but a bit forgettable. Don't see it getting much love from televoters, sadly.

• Advertisement

Belgium

We have a new favourite to win guys

Advertisement