Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2017

Options

Comments

dogcat wrote: »
    Belgium

We have a new favourite to win guys

I must say, I do really like that. This is exactly the type of entry Ireland should be aiming for; contemporary, brooding, not cheesy.....unless the live performance is a disaster, this is going to do very well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Ye guys beat me to it about Belgium :p It's good, it's different, but I'm not sure it's quite worthy of all the initial hype it's getting tonight. Current 2nd favourite to win! Staging will be extremely important with this one.

A lot of people are very enthusiastic about what Portugal have submitted this year too, and I agree, it's the only listenable thing they've sent in quite some time. Not sure the public will get behind it though, and I'll admit I'm disappointed it's not in English. I had heard they were rumoured to be submitting an English entry this year. Ah well.

Whilst the last three Eurovision's have left me disappointed in terms of the winner, one thing I've been really pleased with is how certain countries have worked really hard to turn around their fortunes to great effect. The Netherlands, Belgium and Latvia being good examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

I kinda like Belgium, should do ok. Top 10 for sure, but hard to see why it's joint 2nd fave to win now.
    Any word at all on the Irish song? Never have we left it this late & been so quiet about it. Mustn't have found anything even half decent for Louis little guy to ruin. Presume there's some sort of deadline for the songs to be in?!

The deadline is usually by the end of March. I imagine it's been picked alright, just a case of when will they reveal it. I imagine it'll be on the Late Late over the coming weeks. It'd be kinda funny if after all the criticism it turned out to be half decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

The deadline is usually by the end of March. I imagine it's been picked alright, just a case of when will they reveal it. I imagine it'll be on the Late Late over the coming weeks. It'd be kinda funny if after all the criticism it turned out to be half decent.

Could you imagine if it was somehow incredible, and they had being taking the piss out of us all this time! Then I woke up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭dogcat

The deadline for submitting entries to the EBU is 13 March. Theoretically, the entry can be publicized any time after that date if the broadcaster so chooses.

Israel

Pretty generic sounding imo, although good to have an uptempo song at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,383 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

RTÉ One O'Clock News just played the Irish entry, all I can say is I hope his voice doesn't break between now and the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Icsics

Hometown...'dying to try', west life copy

• Registered Users Posts: 32,714 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Is the ireland song available to listen to anywhere?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Ireland's song

(Sorry, I know I'm a lurker but I saw that it hadn't been put up yet)

If they'd added some power it had the potential to be a good euro pop ballad but, as it is, it's just drab and dated. I didn't even manage to listen to the whole song.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,714 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Hmmmm that ireland song..rather drab and dated....more likely to die...than fly.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Caoimhgh1n

Ireland has sent another awful song. Admittedly, it's much better than Sunlight (which isn't saying much) but I have a strong feeling it will fail to qualify. They could have given Brendan a much better song.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

That Irish entry is a joke.

Pretty poor crop of entrants this year. Poland will walk a final thanks to popular voting if they enter a half-decent song, I'm not sure they have managed this.

Finnish entry is great and will stage great, but lacks a punch. UK entry isn't that bad. France has grown on me but that's possibly nothing to do with the song.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Ireland's song

(Sorry, I know I'm a lurker but I saw that it hadn't been put up yet)

If they'd added some power it had the potential to be a good euro pop ballad but, as it is, it's just drab and dated. I didn't even manage to listen to the whole song.

I kept fast forwarding through to find the good bit. I failed.

I did note the RTE website said Louis Walsh managed the lad AND was involved in deciding the winner. Couldn't anyone spot a slight issue there?

Had very low expectations for Ireland's entry, and sadly they were met. :(
    But I'll try and look on the bright side:

a) It's not as bad as what we sent last year
    b) It's certainly not as bad as what Montenegro is sending! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Had very low expectations for Ireland's entry, and sadly they were met. :(
    But I'll try and look on the bright side:

a) It's not as bad as what we sent last year
    b) It's certainly not as bad as what Montenegro is sending! :eek:

That is 100 times more awesome than our song! From his hair to the weird dancing on the rock to the fact that it's a sex song, everything about it is amazing.

I kept fast forwarding through to find the good bit. I failed.

I did note the RTE website said Louis Walsh managed the lad AND was involved in deciding the winner. Couldn't anyone spot a slight issue there?

As opposed to any other year himself or Linda Martian were involved? Both seem to think they have exclusive rights to decide our euorvision entry. I guess this year at least the person isn't an RTE employee/contractor

Just heard our entry, tripe as expected. The saddest thing about it all is there's probably lots of decent songs submitted to RTE but are overlooked in favour of acts connected to Louis.

FYR Macedonia:

Quite catchy. Good enough to get them back in the final, I reckon.
    They're also in first half of second semi-final, so Ireland's hopes of qualification are looking even less likely now.

• Advertisement

It's already making me so angry to think of all the nonsense Marty is going to come out with when we don't qualify:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

It's already making me so angry to think of all the nonsense Marty is going to come out with when we don't qualify:rolleyes:

Well, I'm avoiding RTE's coverage until Marty finally calls it a day... :o:o:o;)

Genuine question for everyone - when he does go, who should replace him? I honestly believe Dáithí would be a good choice, if only because the thought of a Kerryman commentating on the Eurovision is rather tickling... :o:o;)

Azerbaijan

Well, I'm avoiding RTE's coverage until Marty finally calls it a day... :o:o:o;)

Genuine question for everyone - when he does go, who should replace him? I honestly believe Dáithí would be a good choice, if only because the thought of a Kerryman commentating on the Eurovision is rather tickling... :o:o;)

Think they should go with a woman for the job, it's been men on rte and bbc for years.

Azerbaijan

I like the verses, chorus doesn't do much for me. Overall it's certainly not a bad entry though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Think they should go with a woman for the job, it's been men on rte and bbc for years.

In that case Bláthnaid (love her or hate her) and Sinead Kennedy would be frontrunners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Twink?

Give her a free run at the booze and sit back and watch the car crash unfold. :D

France's revamped song that will be performed in Kyiv.

I am a fan of the new instrumental but the English lyrics are off putting. If it wasn't for the English it would be my favourite so far. Looking forward to Melodifestivalen and the other national selections tonight.

https://youtu.be/Koi36aeRv7I

Caoimhgh1n wrote: »
    France's revamped song that will be performed in Kyiv.

I am a fan of the new instrumental but the English lyrics are off putting. If it wasn't for the English it would be my favourite so far. Looking forward to Melodifestivalen and the other national selections tonight.

https://youtu.be/Koi36aeRv7I

Yes, I think Norway, Iceland and Lithuania are all deciding tonight too.

• Advertisement

Yes, I think Norway, Iceland and Lithuania are all deciding tonight too.

They are. I hope 'Paper' wins in Iceland but I am torn between 2 acts in Norway. I don't know Lithuania's songs..

Advertisement