Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Maybe next year they'll cop on and send something a bit more catchy. The sound this year was just pure bland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It was a song for a female and with the Jobs for the boys culture they got Louis Walsh and the act he thought might make him a few quid.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

" Woah! Hugely surprised Ireland didn't make the cut!! "

- Not a single fúcking person, 2017

• Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

At the end Marty and co were dying to cry.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Why do Ireland even bother trying anymore, I think we could send Bono dueting with Saoirse Ronan on a dance track wearing just duct tape and wouldn't qualify

No, our songs haven't deserved to qualify in recent years. They have been bad songs, it's nothing to do with bloc voting, we've just been sending pure sh1te.

Maybe we need to send Jedward again, at least they got through 2 years in a row.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

At least the slagging Ireland's song got on Twitter gave me a chuckle. Even non-English language tweeters were shocked at how awful it was. It was a poor song made worse by a singer who sounded like he was inhaling helium from the balloon.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭TGJD

Feel Lithuania were robbed but most of the songs that went through deserved it. Netherlands or norway could have an outside shout if italy and sweden don't meet expectations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,316 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

LizT wrote: »
    Maybe next year they'll cop on and send something a bit more catchy. The sound this year was just pure bland.

His voice was absolutely unbearable too....Jesus, they need to get rid of Louis Walsh and these kinds of people who think they know it all because they were Johnny Logan's manager for a few years in the 80's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,368 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

A guy with a mic and a song hasn't won for years, but we persist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Ireland was just so bland. Bland music, band staging, bland performance. I actually don't even mind if we don't ever win again but I wish we could send a decent song at some stage. Jedward's first one was catchy and modern and did well. Brendan's was timid and forgettable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

murpho999 wrote: »
    This is a myth. Look at the list of winners over the last 10 years.
    ( I didn't put enough :rolleyes::rolleyes: sorry)

The ones with the halfway decent songs, yeah I know.
    Sick of halfway decent songs being entered and actually getting through.
    It's not in the spirit of Eurovision not to let us coast through with any old ****e. Shute didn't Ireland invent singing.:rolleyes:

Something something Riverdance :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,368 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Send Johnny back.
    He at least would qualify and go close to winning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Ireland was just so bland. Bland music, band staging, bland performance. I actually don't even mind if we don't ever win again but I wish we could send a decent song at some stage. Jedward's first one was catchy and modern and did well. Brendan's was timid and forgettable.

Brendan, was that his name?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Why do Ireland even bother trying anymore, I think we could send Bono dueting with Saoirse Ronan on a dance track wearing just duct tape and wouldn't qualify

Did you actually listen to the song? Do you think it deserved to qualify? Do you genuinely believe Ireland were hard done by? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭kopite386

Look we were never getting through with that ****e song - dying to try ..... To kill us with boredom
    The song was just too boring, they need to send a catchy song next year not a ballad

• Registered Users Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

It's time to exhume The Swarbriggs and send them into action next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭The Parish Priest.

Sending Mickey Joe Harte again is the answer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,517 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

If you're into more Eurovision; ABBA at the BBC is on BBC Four now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Back to the drawing board for RTE. Four non qualifications in a row and two failed internal selections is unacceptable.

I would reintroduce the national final and let the public vote on the songs : the internal selection is a complete waste of time and is achieving nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Caoimhgh1n

They should just send me.

I'd win, I swear!

:pac:;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

I'm all for a bit of Louis Walsh bashing but the truth is two fold:

The production put into Irish entries has been abysmal for near 2 decades and

We can't compete with eastern Europe and Scandinavia actually taking the competition, you know......seriously.

I'd love to know who's bright idea it was to put that kid on the stage on his own under an air balloon and promptly throttle them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,000 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

To be honest our song was s**t. Last years Irish song was s**t. We are not going to get to the final with crap songs. Three ingredients will ensure we qualify next year. At least two were missing this year.

Strong song
    Good singer.
    Not a total dog looks wise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭hawkwing

I wonder did Lulu fancy him and that's why he picked him to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭kopite386

Strong song
    Good singer.
    Not a total dog looks wise

And that strong song needs to be catchy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭Dezekota

We may just give it up lads

Johnny Logan himself could sing our sing next year with west life as his backing singers and u2 on drums and guitars and we'd still not get out of the semi finals

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Was Jedward the last time we actually qualified?

Dezekota wrote: »

Johnny Logan himself could sing our sing next year with west life as his backing singers and u2 on drums and guitars and we'd still not get out of the semi finals

I just don't get it. Every time we don't get through it's like people think Europe have a vendetta against Ireland and waa waaa waaaaa bloc voting.

We. Are. Sending. Sh1te. That is the only reason we're not getting through. I would be very surprised if ANY country could have gotten through with our song tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Dezekota wrote: »

The Contest is not the problem, we are.

We're sending songs every year that are not even charting in Ireland, never mind anywhere else. Every entry is a bit lame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,744 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Posy wrote: »
    Was Jedward the last time we actually qualified?

Ryan Dolan!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

murpho999 wrote: »
    Even if that existed they would not be allowed in it.

Advertisement