Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,000 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

sonofenoch wrote: »
    If you enter the eurovision song contest you're probably gay.....and if you watch it you're probably even more gay than that

Don't be calling Dustin gay now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Posy wrote: »
    Was Jedward the last time we actually qualified?

No, Ryan Dolan in 2013 (that was actually not a bad entry).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Ryan Dolan!

And finished LAST!!!!

snowflaker wrote: »
    And finished LAST!!!!

He was a bit unlucky though, they changed the voting rules that year and used a strange 'jury ranking' system.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

I was Trying To Die when I heard him singing

• Advertisement

If you enter the eurovision song contest you're probably gay.....and if you watch it you're probably even more gay than that

Strazdas wrote: »
    He was a bit unlucky though, they changed the voting rules that year and used a strange 'jury ranking' system.

the celtic dancers with the bodhrans...

Ally Dick wrote: »
    It's time to exhume The Swarbriggs and send them into action next year
    Plus two!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

My kids made me watch this. Christ, it was awful. All of it. The songs were awful. The presenters were awful. We were particularly awful. Next year RTE will ask Louis Walsh to pick out another boy-band wannabe to sing another sh!t song and we'll still be awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Ben Gadot wrote: »
    I'm all for a bit of Louis Walsh bashing but the truth is two fold:

The production put into Irish entries has been abysmal for near 2 decades and

We can't compete with eastern Europe and Scandinavia actually taking the competition, you know......seriously.

I'd love to know who's bright idea it was to put that kid on the stage on his own under an air balloon and promptly throttle them.

Totally disagree the Scandinavia / eastern Europe comments. The winners and top three have been fairly well spread over the past few years. This year it seems to be between Italy and Portugal.

Bring back the national contest with no pre-performance or favouritism by various radio presenters. Have one condition - the song MUST have traditional Irish music at its roots.

But this sending of a bland pre-teen targeting ballad is just a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭dogcat

Sending Johnny Logan doesn't guarantee Irish success alone. Niamh Kavanagh went in 2010 and did rather poorly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

LizT wrote: »
    I just don't get it. Every time we don't get through it's like people think Europe have a vendetta against Ireland and waa waaa waaaaa bloc voting.

We. Are. Sending. Sh1te. That is the only reason we're not getting through. I would be very surprised if ANY country could have gotten through with our song tonight.

Are you saying there's good music in this competition.....it's all typical euro radio ten a penny pop, no talent ....Ireland are not at the races in this category, give it up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Ally Dick wrote: »
    I was Trying To Die when I heard him singing

Crap song alright. And you didn't have to be a critic from Hot Press either to know it.
    Absolutely brutal and we'd be better off just sending over a cheque to the EBU instead of foisting this on people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzYzVMcgWhg

This ain't broke - no need to fix it!

Send these guys.............:pac:

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Why do Ireland even bother trying anymore, I think we could send Bono dueting with Saoirse Ronan on a dance track wearing just duct tape and wouldn't qualify
    Dezekota wrote: »
    We may just give it up lads

Johnny Logan himself could sing our sing next year with west life as his backing singers and u2 on drums and guitars and we'd still not get out of the semi finals

Attitudes like this are why we don't do well at Eurovision.
    We see it as a big joke - other countries take it seriously.
    Every year you hear people will moan about how Eurovision is total shíte and how the Irish entry is crap, and then those same people will moan about how unfair it is when Ireland doesn't qualify and how it's all political, bloc-voting etc.

We need good songs with good performers. It may not guarantee qualification (as Finland discovered Tuesday night) but it at least gives us a chance.

I don't blame Brendan Murray, I think he is talented and that he did do his best with what he was given. But the song just wasn't good enough and that's down to Louis Walsh and whoever he had helping him select it.

RTÉ need to take Eurovision more seriously. Yes, it's a song contest and it's meant to be fun but there's no excuse for us to be doing so poorly for this many years. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

the celtic dancers with the bodhrans...

I'm looking at it now. Cringe. They should leave all that ye olde celtic mysticism at home. The Ryan Dolan song is miles better than what they sent this year.

Are you saying there's good music in this competition.....it's all typical euro radio ten a penny pop, no talent ....Ireland are not at the races in this category, give it up

Last years song was far from Euro pop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Every single year Sweden, Azerbaijan and Israel send absolute stonkers. You can always bank on then being top 10. Israel have no voting block. Sweden win because they keep on sending stonkers and Azerbaijans block is reasonably small.

They succeed because they send absolute stonkers. Every single year they never fail.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Only shock for me is that Estonia didn't make it, I thought it was one of the better ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

I liked Norway's song. Ours was complete ****e. When are they going to learn standing still singing a bland ballad will get us nowhere. Take a leap my arse.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Louis thought he'd be clever by getting a boy who sings like a girl....it ain't that easy Louis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Caoimhgh1n

Only shock for me is that Estonia didn't make it, I thought it was one of the better ones.

I even voted for it.. It was way better than Croatia anyway, and more..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Dezekota wrote: »
    We may just give it up lads

Johnny Logan himself could sing our sing next year with west life as his backing singers and u2 on drums and guitars and we'd still not get out of the semi finals

Did you actually listen to the song? :confused:

People that whinge about Ireland not qualifying never seem to have listened to the Irish song, let alone the others!

Attitudes like this are why we don't do well at Eurovision.
    We see it as a big joke - other countries take it seriously.
    Every year you hear people will moan about how Eurovision is total shíte and how the Irish entry is crap, and then those same people will moan about how unfair it is when Ireland doesn't qualify and how it's all political, bloc-voting etc.

We need good songs with good performers. It may not guarantee qualification (as Finland discovered Tuesday night) but it at least gives us a chance.

I don't blame Brendan Murray, I think he is talented and that he did do his best with what he was given. But the song just wasn't good enough and that's down to Louis Walsh and whoever he had helping him select it.

RTÉ need to take Eurovision more seriously. Yes, it's a song contest and it's meant to be fun but there's no excuse for us to be doing so poorly for this many years. :(

Yes indeed, you can't have it both ways : slag Eurovision off as a joke and full of rubbish songs and then still expect to qualify.

The only way to do well in it is to treat it as a proper song competition and send proper songs and artists. (I'll throw a brick at the next person who suggests we should send Johhny Logan again. It's the most stupid and imbecile idea imaginable......sending a 60 year old man who first won Eurovision nearly 40 years ago would be bound to be a huge success).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

One thing that really lets us down is staging, we have nothing going on, it's not just the song that needs to be good but the performance too.

Standing on a balloon and gripping the rope for the high parts, wow great imagination.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Radio Gold

Our song was rubbish, i did not even hear it played on any Radio Stations (including RTE) also a lot of the songs tonight were not great but better than the drivel we sent, I could not even hear what he was singing as the sound was not right either. RTE need to wake up or just pull-out for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Wil wrote:
    Whatever I said last year
    Wil wrote:
    Wil wrote:
    Wil wrote:

Actually Can Linn was at least catchy, so damn you Eurovision 2014

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Ireland need to take off these rose tinted specs and wake the fcuk up. We are a laughing stock. I guarantee you if we were ever to host we'd do some Riverdance crap again. We need to move on. Who on earth thought this song was a good idea? It's literally one of the worst songs I've ever heard in my life. We need to move with the times and stop with the retrospective romantic perspective because it is not working. The contest isn't the problem, we are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,000 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

People that whinge about Ireland not qualifying never seem to have listened to the Irish song, let alone the others!

I listened to it and will now need therapy for the next ten years. No words can describe the musical abomination we sent in this year.

Advertisement