Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Sending a puppet turkey was a shameful act, that seems to have left us in the doldrums ever since, and rightly so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Caoimhgh1n

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

anna080 wrote: »
    Ireland need to take off these rose tinted specs and wake the fcuk up. We are a laughing stock. I guarantee you if we were ever to host we'd do some Riverdance crap again. We need to move on. Who on earth thought this song was a good idea? It's literally one of the worst songs I've ever heard in my life. We need to move with the times and stop with the retrospective romantic perspective because it is not working. The contest isn't the problem, we are.

I would reintroduce the national final and let the public choose the song. The idea of RTE or Louis Walsh or whoever picking the song is just not working. At least with a national song contest, there is a chance you might stumble on a good song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,316 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I'm not being dramatic when I say this was without a doubt our worst entry into the contest - yes, even below Donna and Joe McCaul and Dustin!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Re: the national final

yes, but are the irish public saavy enough to pick a winner??

we're talking about a race of people who sold out 5 garth brooks concerts afterall

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭The Parish Priest.

leahyl wrote: »
    I'm not being dramatic when I say this was without a doubt our worst entry into the contest - yes, even below Donna and Joe McCaul and Dustin!

Nah Dervish were worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I think the answer is a national song contest, in the 3 arena AS IS STANDARD ACROSS EUROPE.

Make a big night out of it, four juries, one in each province and get televoting from each county, or combine counties eg, Sligo/Leitrim and Kilkenny/Carlow.

Ten entries and encourage the likes of Hozier to either write a song for a contestant or even enter themselves if they want.

Remove the likes of Linda Martin and Louis Walsh from the process. They're so far out of touch, it's two decades since they were in any way relevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

My recording stopped before I could hear Martys indignation but he reminds me of the dj interviewing Billy mack in love actually about how great the song is. Oh come on, Marty, you know as well as I do the record's crap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,316 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Nah Dervish were worse

They actually weren't.....well, it's a matter of opinion I guess

philstar wrote: »

we're talking about a race of people who sold out 5 garth brooks concerts afterall

Remove it from the Late Late Show for starters.

It should be a standalone song competition and the songs given a lot of promotion via Youtube and Twitter etc. Hold it in a big venue well away from RTE studios. No old fogeys like Linda Martin involved in any way either, get younger people onboard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭The Parish Priest.

philstar wrote: »

Ireland had a stand alone national final in 2008 and overwhelmingly chose Dustin:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,000 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Our 2015 entry was pretty poor too. A girl wih a very weak voice hiding behind a piano.
    Jesus I was squirming behind the sofa that year..........and this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Ireland had a stand alone national final in 2008 and overwhelmingly chose Dustin:rolleyes:

Which goes back to the problem many Irish people have with the Eurovision. It's treated as a joke and not taken seriously. Which is fair enough but then the same people can't turn around and complain when their novelty entries come last in the semi-finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭Panrich

The euro gravy train can't leave the rte station unless the usual suspects are on board so there's no point looking for changes to the format.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,303 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Ireland need to take off these rose tinted specs and wake the fcuk up. We are a laughing stock. I guarantee you if we were ever to host we'd do some Riverdance crap again. We need to move on. Who on earth thought this song was a good idea? It's literally one of the worst songs I've ever heard in my life. We need to move with the times and stop with the retrospective romantic perspective because it is not working. The contest isn't the problem, we are.

How was Brendan and his song decided, was there a Eurosong Late Late Show?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Linda, Jonny, Louis et al have given themselves authority on the Eurovision here. Without that, Johnny and Linda would have no relevance and wouldn't be able to pop up year on year and reminisce on the good old days. They need to pass the buck now and give up the ghost.

For sure, simply holding a stand alone national final is not the magical solution to everything.

It needs a hell of a lot more thought than that, maybe some very creative ideas about how they could get decent singers and songs involved.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Riverdance is one of the most successful theatrical dance shows of all time, seen by over 25 million people, touring for 20+ years so I don't consider it 'crap'.

Riverdance worked, like the Voice, because of the juxtaposition of traditional and modern musical styles.

It also was the catalyst for a major change in the half time entertainment for Eurovision that a lot of countries have tried to replicate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

From what I can see, Brendan and his song were chosen behind the scenes. I hadn't heard of him before now (admittedly I don't follow the charts or the Eurovision closely) but he was in some short-lived boy band with a Louis Walsh connection.

Linda, Jonny, Louis et al have given themselves authority on the Eurovision here. Without that, Johnny and Linda would have no relevance and wouldn't be able to pop up year on year and reminisce on the good old days. They need to pass the buck now and give up the ghost.

Agree completely on that. They should get off the stage and much younger people from the music industry should be brought onboard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Caoimhgh1n

2nd half for Bulgaria and Romania, lucky them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

gizmo81 wrote: »
    Riverdance is one of the most successful theatrical dance shows of all time, seen by over 25 million people, touring for 20+ years so I don't consider it 'crap'.

Riverdance worked, like the Voice, because of the juxtaposition of traditional and modern musical styles.

It also was the catalyst for a major change in the half time entertainment for Eurovision that a lot of countries have tried to replicate.

Ah I'm just being moody. I don't think it's crap either. But I do think we need to get over it like. We did a jig one time over twenty years ago and we can't get over it since

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Minute I heard it I knew the song wasn't going to make the final.

As others who are more informed than me on here have said, who is choosing these songs ?

The wrong people obviously.

Strazdas wrote: »
    Agree completely on that. They should get off the stage and much younger people from the music industry should be brought onboard.

Jedward, Nathan Carter, Niall Horan and Samantha Mumba is it :P

Caoimhgh1n wrote: »
    2nd half for Bulgaria and Romania, lucky them.

I'm not sure it necessarily improves Bulgaria's chances of actually winning though. The Common Linnets got a supposedly fantastic draw in 2014 but still fell well short of Conchita when push came to shove.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I listened to it and will now need therapy for the next ten years. No words can describe the musical abomination we sent in this year.
    It was like something sung in a Magdalene laundry 50 years ago. It genuinely reminded me of My Lovely Horse, it was so out of place and so bloody ancient.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Jedward, Nathan Carter, Niall Horan and Samantha Mumba is it :P

They're all pals of Louis Walsh :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Nah Dervish were worse

I had forgotten about Dervish until you brought up that horrific episode

Thanks for that bud.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Hahaha Cool.

I do think it stands in it's own right now as a theatrical venture.
    That said, as a theatrical endeavour, I think it should be retired or have a major revival. It's a shadow of it's former self.
    Ah I'm just being moody. I don't think it's crap either. But I do think we need to get over it like. We did a jig one time over twenty years ago and we can't get over it since

• Advertisement

From what I can see, Brendan and his song were chosen behind the scenes. I hadn't heard of him before now (admittedly I don't follow the charts or the Eurovision closely) but he was in some short-lived boy band with a Louis Walsh connection.

Yes Brendan was in Lulu Walsh's boyband Hometown so were they just given the job as Ireland's entry without any voting or judging panel decision etc.,?

Advertisement