Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭jeoun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzYzVMcgWhg

This ain't broke - no need to fix it!

Send these guys.............:pac:

This is, imo, the reason WHY Eurovision is treated as a JOKE in Ireland. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,303 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Strazdas wrote: »
    They're all pals of Louis Walsh :p

Who isn't :P maybe just Aslan

anna080 wrote: »
    Linda, Jonny, Louis et al have given themselves authority on the Eurovision here. Without that, Johnny and Linda would have no relevance and wouldn't be able to pop up year on year and reminisce on the good old days. They need to pass the buck now and give up the ghost.

Totally agree with you about Linda and Louis, but Johnny Logan is usually quite critical of RTÉ and the lack of effort they put in to it. It's been a long time since he's had any involvement with an Irish Eurovision entry afaik, so I wouldn't throw him in with the other two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Totally agree with you about Linda and Louis, but Johnny Logan is usually quite critical of RTÉ and the lack of effort they put in to it. It's been a long time since he's had any involvement with an Irish Eurovision entry afaik, so I wouldn't throw him in with the other two.

But he still uses this time of year to pop up and come out of hibernation. I saw him on the seven o clock show the other day talking about this years entry and watching old clips etc.. I didn't realise he wasn't more involved in the process I could have sworn he was. He still profits from it year on year anyway, appearances etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Is there a limit as to how many people you can have on stage with you?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Marty says pipped to the post but I'd be shocked if Ireland weren't in the bottom 2 of the overall scoring from this group. So dull.

Yep, I was trying to figure out who he'd actually beat in his semi final. I can only confidently state he beat San Marino.
    leahyl wrote: »
    His voice was absolutely unbearable too....Jesus, they need to get rid of Louis Walsh and these kinds of people who think they know it all because they were Johnny Logan's manager for a few years in the 80's

They do. But they won't.
    Back to the drawing board for RTE. Four non qualifications in a row and two failed internal selections is unacceptable.

I would reintroduce the national final and let the public vote on the songs : the internal selection is a complete waste of time and is achieving nothing.

It's a national final we need of course, but most years when we do have one most of the acts are connected to Louis Walsh/Rte in one way or another. It's usually an open selection too, meaning anyone can submit an entry. I think I've heard previously that they usually get about 300 submissions every year, making it highly likely that some decent stuff is being cast aside in favour of something Louis Walsh handpicked :rolleyes:

Yep, he's spoken out about it a lot previously. He's long been an advocate of having a national final in an arena akin to Melodifestivalen and Dansk Melodi Grand Prix, but naturally RTE won't listen.
    anna080 wrote: »
    Is there a limit as to how many people you can have on stage with you?

Yep, 6 is the maximum allowed on stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Bulgaria is now up to joint 2nd after possibly the best performance of the night. Have a suspicion Portugal will win, the big question for the tri-cast is Ita or Bul for the 2nd/3rd spot positions. Sensibly, the UK's entry is back down to a more realistic 7th fav and 30/1, bring back Bucks Fizz.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Caoimhgh1n wrote: »
    2nd half for Bulgaria and Romania, lucky them.
    When will we know the exact running order for the final?

Who do we got as the winner? I'm thinking now it's a three horse race between Italy, Bulgaria and Portugal. I'd be happy with either winner to be honest. I thought Italy was untouchable for a long time but I'm not so sure after seeing their live performance, it doesn't come across as well as I thought it would. Belgium may actually be my favourite now but I doubt she'll come near. Might get top 5 though.

Before tonight there was only three slots left in the second half of the final so I'm delighted that the two strongest from tonight, Bulgaria and Romania got two of them, and that most of the crap is stuck in the first half.

Posy wrote: »

Should be in the next couple of hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Posy wrote: »

Maybe in another hour or so, they're still working on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭dogcat

1. Israel
    2. Poland
    3. Belarus
    4. Austria
    5. Armenia
    6. The Netherlands
    7. Moldova
    8. Hungary
    9. Italy
    10. Denmark
    11. Portugal
    12. Azerbaijan
    13. Croatia
    14. Australia
    15. Greece
    16. Spain
    17. Norway
    18. United Kingdom
    19. Cyprus
    20. Romania
    21. Germany
    22. Ukraine
    23. Belgium
    24. Sweden
    25. Bulgaria
    26. France

Very interesting running order, I thought they'd put Italy and Portugal on a little later. I wish Belgium/Sweden/Bulgaria were a bit more spread out, but a dream draw for all three. Nice draw for the UK too, they could contend for a top ten spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Just out of interest why does the order of the draw really matter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,748 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

thelad95 wrote: »

Certain positions sometimes get on better than others. The acts your placed between sometimes might make you stand out as being better or worse.

thelad95 wrote: »

It's incredibly important. A second half draw is highly favoured by all the acts as most years that's where the winner resides. Only three years (2003, 2014 & 2015) since 2000 has the winner come from the first half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It's incredibly important. A second half draw is highly favoured by all the acts as most years that's where the winner resides. Only three years (2003, 2014 & 2015) since 2000 has the winner come from the first half.

I think the introduction of juries and the 'fixed' draw by the producers in 2013 has swung things back though. If it was still 100% televoting and a random draw, you would definitely say late acts have a huge advantage but two of the last three winners were drawn in the first half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,700 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Back to the drawing board for RTE. Four non qualifications in a row and two failed internal selections is unacceptable.

I would reintroduce the national final and let the public vote on the songs : the internal selection is a complete waste of time and is achieving nothing.

But do you honestly think RTÉ want to win this?? And then have to put on a production costing millions? The days of simply providing a venue, a stage and an intervil act are long gone.

Ireland winning the Eurovision these days would be an absolute disaster of epic proportions for RTÉ.
    You'd be looking at at least €20 million to produce a very basic show these days.

Poor Tubbers & Miriam would probably only get €100,000 hosting fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Are Bulgaria on too late???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,086 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Concrete proof (if it were needed) that Louis Walsh is completely out of touch with the music industry.

So much has changed in the last ten years, from the way music is listened to and purchased, to the way artists work with various producers. Even a manufactured boyband like One Direction would be difficult to get off the ground.

Louis thinks this old Boyzlife method of getting a pretty boy that mammies will like and give them any song to sing will be a winner...completely the wrong way of going about it.

Songs from the other countries sound like they are currently in the singles chart...Brendan's song sounded like an 'X-Factor' entry from 2004!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,329 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Delighted to see RTE taking a dive in the first round every year in this. Dont know why they dont just pull us out of it altogether, it benefits no one.

Dying to try? Trying to die more like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭The Parish Priest.

What's everyone's opinion on the Nicky Byrne song from last year ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

What's everyone's opinion on the Nicky Byrne song from last year ?

Much better than this years one.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Delighted to see RTE taking a dive in the first round every year in this.

I'd say they are too.
    Larbre34 wrote: »
    Dont know why they dont just pull us out of it altogether, it benefits no one.

They get to broadcast 2 2 hour midweek shows, and a 3-4 hour extravaganza on a Saturday night.

All for relatively little cost, (small production team, act support etc...) certainly a lot cheaper than it would cost to produce 8 hours of original content anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,914 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Why is Ireland persisting with letting Louis Walsh anywhere near our Eurovision entry.

He has proven himself to be a complete failure in any act he tries.

Then again, I have zero interest in Eurovision so really couldn't care, I'm just curious as to why he is held in such high regard.

But thats one guest guaranteed for the LLS/RDS anyway this weekend.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Why is Ireland persisting with letting Louis Walsh anywhere near our Eurovision entry.

Its like back in 1995 (after we won in 1992, 1993 & 1994), RTE picked that song 'Dreamin' as it was a crap song, and they just couldn't afford to win/host it again another year in a row. It would have bankrupted RTÉ.

Then a year later when they half took it seriously again, WE WON!!!!

You have to remember these were the days when the whole thing could be done for around £1 million (which was still massive money at the time)

Now you also have 2 semi finals to host, (one of which alone would far exceed anything cost wise we ever hosted as a main final in our golden era)

It would be financially impossible for RTÉ to host a Eurovision in this day and age, thats the simple fact of it.

Will you pay for it? because if we win, you will end up paying for it.

Believe me, when you win the eurovision these days, no one wins. Yes there is some gains to be made from tourism, but they all still run at a deficit, and the last time I checked, RTÉ wasn't exactly flush with cash!!

how-much-does-it-cost-eurovision-song-contest-and-is-it-worth-it/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

Its like back in 1995 (after we won in 1992, 1993 & 1994), RTE picked that song 'Dreamin' as it was a crap song, and they just couldn't afford to win/host it again another year in a row. It would have bankrupted RTÉ.

You have to remember these were the days when the whole thing could be done for around £1 million (which was still massive money at the time)

Now you also have 2 semi finals to host, (one of which alone would far exceed anything cost wise we ever hosted as a main final in our golden era)

It would be financially impossible for RTÉ to host a Eurovision in this day and age, thats the simple fact of it.

Believe me, when you win the eurovision these days, no one wins. Yes there is some gains to be made from tourism, but they all still run at a deficit, and the last time I checked, RTÉ wasn't exactly flush with cash!!

Good post but like has been said already in the thread if it's that bad then we should just drop out altogether. RTE could still air the full competition but the worry about possibly winning and having to host it wouldn't be an issue.

Unless we start taking it some way seriously then it's just a waste of time and money sending an act in the first place. There's nothing to gain except keeping the likes of Louis Walsh in a nice cushy number.

sonic85 wrote: »
    Good post but like has been said already in the thread if it's that bad then we should just drop out altogether. RTE could still air the full competition but the worry about possibly winning and having to host it wouldn't be an issue.

Yes, but how many hours of filler does having an entry provide RTÉ across all its various platforms?

The LLS dedicates a whole show to it - so thats an entire LLS where Tubbers doesn't have to get found out being a terrible interviewer (add that to the toy show and the Valentines sleaze fest).

I don't listen to RTÉ radio, but I can only imagine that for the last month or so our guy was all over it, giving interviews, taking part in various activities, Lottie Ryan etc.. all that shíté.

and although RTÉ didn't write the song, I'd bet they have some financial interest it it, possibly a percentage of royalties for commissioning someone to write a song for them.

Advertising revenue during the 3 broadcasts etc....

I guarantee RTÉ are making something out of it, with as little cost to them as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Had to laugh last night at one of the comments by a guy on BBC4 covering the Eurovision, he said at the end of the Irish song "I told Brendan not to stand under the helium balloon during the song" :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

Father Ted had it spot on when Ted and Dougal won instead of the much better Rugged Island production:

Dick Byrne: What's going on?! Our song was clearly miles better! You'd think you wanted Ireland to lose the Euro contest!
    (Nervous laughter from Judges) Nonsense! Why would we want to do that?!
    Dick Byrne: Maybe because it was costing you too much to stage?

That's exactly it. And they really are making sure we can't even nearly win. Having a half decent song that qualifies for the final would run the risk of having a good night and accidentally winning, so we make sure we'll fall at the first hurdle. It's unreal.

Advertisement