Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭The Parish Priest.

Is it time for RTE to drop Marty and get someone younger and hipper to do the commentary ? Chris Greene from 2fm maybe ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,700 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Anybody who believes Ireland are going to a Eurovision to win it are deluded. So theres no point getting upset (though I doubt very many were) when we don't get out of the semi final.

I'd love us to win again, but in reality, it's never going to happen, and RTÉ are more than happy with this arrangement.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Cerveja

The performance reminded me of Dick Byrne in Father Ted (song not as good), with how the lights went up during parts of the song.

Never had a chance of going through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Right2Write

Is it time for RTE to drop Marty and get someone younger and hipper to do the commentary ? Chris Greene from 2fm maybe ?

They need to do more than just drop Marty. RTE should lose the gig.

We need to play to our strengths, a few dancing sexy cailíns in short skirts in the visuals and a decent catchy song. TG4 should be given a go and see how they get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Looking at the stats, Ireland and Macedonia are the only two countries not to qualify for the last four contests, which suggests we are the problem by sending sub standard songs, none of this "political voting" malarkey.

The solution is also in our hands, we need to up our game and revamp the selection process. The Late Late Show wasn't working and the internal selections definitely aren't working.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Anybody who believes Ireland are going to a Eurovision to win it are deluded. So theres no point getting upset (though I doubt very many were) when we don't get out of the semi final.

I'd love us to win again, but in reality, it's never going to happen, and RTÉ are more than happy with this arrangement.

That's an interesting idea i.e. 'strategic sabotage', and the quality of the song/arrangement (not the singer's fault) could even support the theory.

Realistically any garage band, music student or bedroom producer on Protools (even Garageband App) could assemble and write with more hooks, notation and melody than was this 4-track 58bpm dull waltz.

The costs of staging would be great, but surely offset by tourism spend. Perhaps it should be handed over to Tourism Ire, to manage in future.

Anyway, here's the winning prediction for Saturday:

1. Port
    2. Bulg (may actually win)
    3. Ita (novelty is wearing off)
    4. Belg *
    5. Aus or Swedes

* Only if she improves stage presence, otherwise it's 5th and/or replaced by Cro. Azerbijiggyjiggyistan has a chance at the top7, a good pop tune.

That's an interesting idea i.e. 'strategic sabotage', and the quality of the song/arrangement (not the singer's fault) could even support the theory.

Realistically any garage band, music student or bedroom producer on Protools (even Garageband App) could assemble and write with more hooks, notation and melody than was this 4-track 58bpm dull waltz.

The costs of staging would be great, but surely offset by tourism spend. Perhaps it should be handed over to Tourism Ire, to manage in future.

1. Port
    4. Belg *
    5. Aus or Swedes

* Only if she improves stage presence, otherwise it's 5th and/or replaced by Cro. Azerbijiggyjiggyistan has a chance at the top7, a good pop tune.

I wouldn't rule out the UK for a high placing. We haven't even seen them on stage yet but Lucie seems to have real momentum behind her and a great draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

1. Port
    4. Belg *
    5. Aus or Swedes

I dont think thats a bad shout....bar Australia I can barely see them getting top 10 tbh, Would love Azerbaijan to finish high the song is a cracker and the staging is definitely different!

UK probably just scrape top 10, 8th/9th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I would consider myself a Eurovision fan, but I was left very very disappointed with the 2 semi finals. So much so if I got an even slightly interesting offer tomorrow I wouldn't bother with the final. So many bad songs got through, which I guess had to happen given the overall dross on show. And that is even without mentioning the hosts. But I guess anything is a let down after Petra, the Swedish host last year.

Portugal is favourite, but it does nothing for me at all. Bulgaria is a far better song with a better singer.

I would also quite like to see Moldova (excellent), Azerbaijan, Norway and Greece to do well.

The Irish entry was woefully bad. It was like a bad x factor winners song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Will those three hosts be hosting the final also? I remember years gone by there'd be different presenters for the semis and final, or am I imagining it? It would be nice to have a woman in there somewhere for a bit of ott glamour!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Seems to be a huge difference between what was heard in the venue and what was heard at home... At home all you heard all night was the backing tracks. Vocals are very much to the fore in this guys' recording from the venue.

And it wasn't vocally flawless as was said by somebody from RTE earlier today. It was a good performance, not a great performance. But he certainly did well enough to give him a slap on the back.

The staging is bizarre and looks something like a Tim Burton movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

gimmick wrote: »
    I would consider myself a Eurovision fan, but I was left very very disappointed with the 2 semi finals. So much so if I got an even slightly interesting offer tomorrow I wouldn't bother with the final. So many bad songs got through, which I guess had to happen given the overall dross on show. And that is even without mentioning the hosts. But I guess anything is a let down after Petra, the Swedish host last year.

Portugal is favourite, but it does nothing for me at all. Bulgaria is a far better song with a better singer.

I would also quite like to see Moldova (excellent), Azerbaijan, Norway and Greece to do well.

The Irish entry was woefully bad. It was like a bad x factor winners song.

I felt the same. The overall standard in the semis was very poor this year, hardly anything stood out to me.

anna080 wrote: »
    Will those three hosts be hosting the final also? I remember years gone by there'd be different presenters for the semis and final, or am I imagining it? It would be nice to have a woman in there somewhere for a bit of ott glamour!

They will indeed, the same three guys in the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

Latest odds, Portugal overtook Italy as favourites.

https://www.oddschecker.com/tv/eurovision/winner

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Not entirely surprising Italy are no longer the favourite, Francesco is so flat in the live performance. Needs to be much, much better to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,368 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

You need a song about peace, hope, and you need a choir backing vocal.
    Something the liberals will eat up.
    Someone along the lines of
    Man in The Mirror

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭The Parish Priest.

Maybe RTE should ask Brian Kennedy to go back next year? He did reasonably ok the last time he went

Maybe RTE should ask Brian Kennedy to go back next year? He did reasonably ok the last time he went

We need to move forward, not backwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,086 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

All you need is a song that sounds as if it would be in the singles chart at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭A_smurf

Have to agree with what's been said previously. Ireland has seemed to have got into the habit of sending an ok song with a poor singer or an ok singer with a poor song, or poor song and singer. We do need to send someone young who has experience with performing on stage and is comfortable and confident in front of the camera along with a strong song that is current or stands out from the rest, no gimmicks needed. But going from the past few years RTE just isn't bothered with taking the contest seriously at all and isn't willing to put the time or money required with experienced songwriters or finding the right talent to get us past the semi-finals. They'd rather blame the 'political voting' instead of the poor effort they put into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Saw on Twitter that Samantha Mumba would love to do Eurovision. I reckon she could do a good job with a decent, upbeat song.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭TheFitz13

Denmark to win for me

Saw on Twitter that Samantha Mumba would love to do Eurovision. I reckon she could do a good job with a decent, upbeat song.

Here's the tweet, she's definitely interested :

https://twitter.com/samanthamumba1/status/863026951677726720

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

RTÉ don't want to win Eurovision but they do want to qualify and score respectably. I can see a greater effort made next year but there'll be no winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

All you need is a song that sounds as if it would be in the singles chart at the moment.

This is so spot on. Made a YouTube playlist of the 25 finalists to listen to as I worked today and it was like I was listening to the charts. Various styles but most very modern and the reason they all remind you of another current song is because they are just up with the current trends. Yet Ireland almost invariably are 10 years behind the current trends. Lipstick is the last decent entry we had and it was partly the energy of Jedward but partly because it was catchy! You can recall it now and sing it like. RTE are are shambles.

Imagine having a national competition one night in the 3 Arena as someone said. Have a panel of 5 or 7 judges, or regional judges. Maybe people from the record labels and music promoters and radio djs. Encourage the likes of Hozier, Neil Hannon, Paul Noonan, Lisa Hannigan etc etc to write songs and perform them or give them to someone else to perform and best song through judges plus votes from audience goes on to represent us. I can see something like a collaboration between the Script and Niall Horan would be a real poppy catchy number and they'd perform well on a Eurovision stage. But it's never gonna happen. Unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Give it to Imelda May for next year.

She is going to be global soon with her new image and sheer quality. She would walk way with it.

Either that or play the total cynical hype card and squeeze Johnny Logan back into a white suit. I reckon that would also do it for us .... again ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,748 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

We should get Johnny Logan, Linda Martin, Niamh Kavanagh, Eimer Quinn, Paul Harrington , Charlie McGettigan to form a band and Dana can do the driving and make tea and of course canvas for votes!

We should get Johnny Logan, Linda Martin, Niamh Kavanagh, Eimer Quinn, Paul Harrington , Charlie McGettigan to form a band and Dana can do the driving and make tea and of course canvas for votes!

Be great if the plane crashed on the way over. I joke! I joke! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Wellywoo

Anyone else like Icelands entry? It didn't get past the semis but it reminded me a bit of Robyns style...(known for Dancing on my Own).

I dont' think Italy deserves half the praise it's getting, I don't rate it at all to be honest. Sweden and the treadmills....he sounds a bit flat to me. I think I'll have to listen to all 25 before I decide who my one text vote will go to :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

Wellywoo wrote: »
    Anyone else like Icelands entry? It didn't get past the semis but it reminded me a bit of Robyns style...(known for Dancing on my Own).

I dont' think Italy deserves half the praise it's getting, I don't rate it at all to be honest. Sweden and the treadmills....he sounds a bit flat to me. I think I'll have to listen to all 25 before I decide who my one text vote will go to :D

26, although Spain is pretty bad, it's favourite to come last, so you could give that a miss.

Advertisement