Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2017

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

It would be awesome if Portugal won tomorrow night. They've done so poorly in Eurovision for so many years, and yet are still one of the few nations to continue sending entries in their native language.....I think they really deserve a break at this stage!

I like the Italian entry but am not so sure it's a winner right now. Bulgaria's entry is good but again I'm not sure it's a winner.

I just hope that Portugal, Italy, Hungary and Belarus all do well enough on Saturday night to convince other countries to send songs in their native languages (or any non-Enlgish language). The English language has dominated for long enough, it's about time we heard other languages come to the fore.

Yeah I'm not mad about the Portuguese song, I appreciate it more than I like it, but it'd be terrific if they could do it on their 49th attempt. I thought Italy were unstoppable for ages but he looked very unconvincing in his semi performance, although apparently he was great again tonight. I think Belgium is my favourite though, so I'd love if they could sneak it, but I doubt it.

How do ye think the UK will do? They're getting very excited about it over on digital spy, talking about it possibly winning the jury vote :confused: I think low top ten is possible and that's about it, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if they miss out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Yeah each way for outright and without Italy.:o

It's a good song, could do top 4, you never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

I think Azerbaijan will be well up there at the end. Song itself is really good in its own right bit I guess it's whether people will go for the strange staging or not. I'll be listening to that song for years to come anyway!

Also think Bulgaria will win it outright even though I'd like Azerbaijan, Portugal or Belgium instead. Portugal would be lovely in May right?

Happy Eurovision Day everyone!

Looking like a good contest, none of favourites have had a win in a while, if ever.

1 Portugal - Never won
    2 Italy - Last win 1990
    3 Bulgaria - Never won
    4 Belguim - Last win 1986

Portugal would be a great result I think, their best position ever has been 6th despite 49 appearances! I am liking a lot of the songs this year! A lot of growers, some good native language ones too. I'm enjoying it and a bit more obsessed than usual :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

it has to be Italy, with the dancing guerilla being the winning factor

Portugal's song is nice...but a gentle ballad hardly ever wins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 GroodyL

The UK's entry is very good this year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Caoimhgh1n

I'll be voting for Bulgaria and France tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭raiders11

Happy Eurovision Day everyone!

Looking like a good contest, none of favourites have had a win in a while, if ever.

1 Portugal - Never won
    2 Italy - Last win 1990
    3 Bulgaria - Never won
    4 Belguim - Last win 1986

Portugal would be a great result I think, their best position ever has been 6th despite 49 appearances! I am liking a lot of the songs this year! A lot of growers, some good native language ones too. I'm enjoying it and a bit more obsessed than usual :D

Not the best countries for neighbours when it comes to the televoting.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Amik

I just hope that Portugal, Italy, Hungary and Belarus all do well enough on Saturday night to convince other countries to send songs in their native languages (or any non-Enlgish language).

Correct me if I'm wrong but every foreign language song has qualified for the final. Must be a first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

GroodyL wrote: »
    The UK's entry is very good this year!

It is! I would actually throw it into the potential top 3 / winner mix alongside Italy, Portugal, Bulgaria and Belgium.

• Advertisement

My predictions for tonight are -

1. Bulgaria
    2. Portugal
    3. Italy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Some would say that Portugal has a slight advantage today, as the Pope chap is over there on the centenary of the Fatima apparition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Are we in it this year? If so Whats our song?

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Are we in it this year? If so Whats our song?

We didn't qualify into the final.

Our song was 'Dying to Try' and it was sang by Brendan Murray. Second semi-final.

Bulgaria is now within a whiskers chance of beating Italy and not far behind the current favourite to win (Portugal).
    It's now a three horse race to the finish. If Belgium can manage a stage presence, will give them a vote.

Bulgaria is now within a whiskers chance of beating Italy and not far behind the current favourite to win (Portugal).
    It's now a three horse race to the finish. If Belgium can manage a stage presence, will give them a vote.

Top Balkan @ 1/7? Def gonna beat Romania, Croatia and Greece.

Top Balkan @ 7/1? Def gonna beat Romania, Croatia and Greece.

Possibly (searches for map), the Balkan regions were never on my holiday list. The Croatians have a catchy wildcard number, but Romania have overtaken them.

Wonder is all hope lost now for the rather funky Azerbijjiggyistanians

Lets hope the televote isn't running on Windows XP Service Pack 1, if Spain win then it is.

Possibly (searches for map), the Balkan regions were never on my holiday list. The Croatians have a catchy wildcard number, but Romania have overtaken them.

Wonder is all hope lost now for the rather funky Azerbijjiggyistanians

Lets hope the televote isn't running on Windows XP Service Pack 1, if Spain win then it is.

I think risky top 10 for the jiggystans.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

I know this is completely irrelevant, but I'm always drawn back to our 2015 entry. The song was fine, but the song 'Break Me Up' by Erika Selin came second in the national selection. It was far more current and bore some similarities to 'Heroes', that year's winner. Sigh, what could've been, etc.

Scoreboard prediction for tonight. Rankings will probably change a bit during the show.

Left side of Board
    1 Portugal
    2 Bulgaria
    3 Belguim
    4 Italy
    5 Armenia
    6 UK
    7 Moldova
    8 Sweden
    9 Hungary
    10 Azerbaijan
    11 Romania
    12 Netherlands
    13 Croatia
    Rightside of Board
    14 Belarus
    15 Israel
    16 Greece
    17 France
    18 Norway
    19 Australia
    20 Cyprus
    21 Denmark
    22 Austria
    23 Germany
    24 Poland
    25 Ukraine
    26 Spain

Would like Belguim, Armenia, Moldovia, and Hungary to do well as like those songs, and overall would be very happy with Portugal win. I think Sweden and to some degree, Italy are being overrated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Also opens up the possibility this may not be the actual top 3. If voters are divided on the three male soloists, someone else from further down the betting could sneak into a podium finish, probably a female soloist.

Strazdas wrote: »
    Also opens up the possibility this may not be the actual top 3. If voters are divided on the three male soloists, someone else from further down the betting could sneak into a podium finish, probably a female soloist.

Likely Belgium, rather than UK - good singer but still an slightly unknown quantity, and currently 30/1 avg. There's also the small matter of the fresh taste of Brexit.

Hopefully Blanche, for her own sake can relax and enjoy it a bit, it's only a 3 mins sing-song in front of a few people (well, an expected 200 million).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Am I the only one that doesn't get all the fuss about the Italian song? I think it's awful!

LizT wrote: »
    Am I the only one that doesn't get all the fuss about the Italian song? I think it's awful!

Couldn't agree more. I predict it coming third, but one of my personal least favourites of the final, and the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

me too! I thing of it like the year the French song was touted as the winner, but bombed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I know this is completely irrelevant, but I'm always drawn back to our 2015 entry. The song was fine, but the song 'Break Me Up' by Erika Selin came second in the national selection. It was far more current and bore some similarities to 'Heroes', that year's winner. Sigh, what could've been, etc.
    That was definitely a catchy wee number! Maybe didn't help that she was Swedish? Could have done well tbh, having said that molly sterling was badly done by really talented and a very decent song IMO.
    Sweden had better options this year as well, nano or wiktoria could have done very well.

Didn't think much of it the first time I listened to it but it grew on me a lot afterwards and I don't think it would be an undeserving winner. Must say though that I prefer the (unedited) studio version to the life performance as I find his voice is a little bit grating live. By contrast, I think Portugal is much better live than the studio version is.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

The studio version is great, and it was the only song I truly liked before this week. Live I think it's a mess unfortunately :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

I can't say I'm getting the love for Italy or Portugal either. Not a great lineup his year, sadly.

2015 was a great year. Winners, Sweden - great song, Belgium's song that year, Rhythm Inside is probably my favourite song never to win Eurovision. Quality songs too by Estonia and Latvia. I think even the song we sent that year, Playing by Numbers, was pretty decent and surprised it didn't qualify. I suspect it would definitely qualify this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭County rebel

the italian song sounded alot better with the orchestra in the italian song contest but the singer seems to be just jumping around in the big stage in kiev.

Advertisement