Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2017

Options

Comments

Serbia:

Seems like all the upbeat songs are coming at once! This is another pretty decent modern-sounding pop tune, though not quite as good as Belgium or Macedonia imo. Still, it'll probably do quite well and sadly is yet another song bound to finish ahead of Ireland in SF2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Caoimhgh1n

Wiktoria didn't make it. :( She was second favourite of the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Swedish winner tonight. Haven't made up my mind on it yet.

Just listened to the Swedish winner and I actually quite like it. :) Reminds me a bit of Robin Thicke, only more likeable and less sleazy! It's certainly much better than Wiktoria's song anyway, which I could not understand the hype for at all. (I didn't really listen to any of the others that were in the final; following Melodifest is too much effort! :P).

I do think Loreen's Statements was a better song than this, but the staging for that was just a bit too OTT. Whereas Robin Bengtsson's staging is a lot more accessible, and works very well with what is a catchy fun song.

I don't think Sweden will win this song but they'll still get a very respectable position.

Norway's entry.

• Advertisement

Not mad about Norway. Just a bit meh, really.

And here's Lithuania: (forward to 1:30)

It's......strange. Not sure what to make of it really. :confused:
    I like that it's quite different to anything else in the contest but her singing is a bit off-putting.

I have to agree with you. It is quite irksome.

Here is the U.K.'s revamp.

Much better in my opinion, the new instrumental really improved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭dogcat

Iceland

Delighted Paper won. In my top 3. :)

What are our tops looking like, by the way?

• Advertisement

Some songs have surprisingly grown on me and others haven't, but here is my top 36 as of now.

37. Lithuania
    36. Georgia
    35.Croatia
    34. Ukraine
    33. Spain
    32. Portugal
    31. Slovenia
    30. Malta
    29. Norway
    28. Israel
    27. Finland
    26. The Netherlands
    25. Serbia
    24. Austria
    23. Czech Republic
    22. Hungary
    21. Cyprus
    20. Ireland
    19. Estonia
    18. Denmark.
    17. Belarus
    16. Italy
    15. Germany
    14. U.K.
    13. Romania
    12. Greece
    11. Azerbaijan
    10. Australia
    9. Macedonia
    8. Switzerland
    7. Albania
    6. Belgium
    5. Moldova
    4. Latvia
    3. Poland
    2. Iceland
    1. France

San Marino.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Am I missing something - Sweden have entered a song where the chorus revolves around "when you look this f**king beautiful?". That's not going to run.

The UK song is a standout compared to the rest.

This is what my current ranking looks like at the moment.
    I'd have Iceland higher if it was sung in Icelandic, it's better than the English language version imo.
    Also this may change drastically as the time nears.

VERY GOOD
    1 Belgium
    2 Italy
    3 Finland
    4 Portugal
    5 France
    6 Macedonia
    QUITE GOOD
    7 Sweden
    8 Iceland
    9 Belarus
    10 Latvia
    11 Hungary
    12 Austria
    13 Serbia
    14 Azerbaijan
    15 Australia
    16 Czech Republic
    MEH, AVERAGE
    17 Ukraine
    18 Lithuania
    19 Cyprus
    20 Albania
    21 United Kingdom
    22 Spain
    23 Switzerland
    24 Denmark
    NOT A FAN
    25 Norway
    26 Poland
    27 Romania
    28 The Netherlands
    29 Georgia
    30 Moldova
    31 Israel
    32 Malta
    33 Ireland :(
    34 Russia
    35 San Marino
    DOWNRIGHT AWFUL
    36 Estonia
    37 Montenegro
    38 Germany
    39 Slovenia
    40 Greece
    41 Croatia
    hmmm wrote: »
    Am I missing something - Sweden have entered a song where the chorus revolves around "when you look this f**king beautiful?". That's not going to run.

It's being changed to "freaking beautiful" for the actual Eurovision version, I believe.

hmmm wrote: »

They are changing it. :) Just like Lisa Ajax would have changed the f word to damn in her song if she got through.

Russia:

It's an old-fashioned, unoriginal, yawnfest of a song. But it will obviosuly qualify because it's Russia.
    As horrible as it may sound, I can't help but think that sending a singer in a wheelchair was a cynical ploy for sympathy votes. They should have at least let her sing in Russian though; her English enunciation is quite poor, I can't imagine she's a fluent speaker.

Not a fan of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭dogcat

This could be the first time that Russia fails to make it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I think the Russian song is actually ok? Nothing too original, but will probably get top ten anyway because it's Russia. As mentioned above it is very cynical what they're doing, I mean who could boo a woman in a wheelchair right?

All the big hitters are underwhelming this year, very disappointed with what Sweden selected, I see low top ten max for them. Norway and Iceland are also pretty average. With (I think) only Bulgaria and Armenia left to reveal, as it stands, this is the weakest lineup for many years. Italy and Belgium are the only two contenders imo. Of course, it could be a 2014 style situation where unheralded songs come to the fore when performed on the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭The Parish Priest.

Why has Daniel O Donnell never been approached to represent Ireland at Eurovision ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Why has Daniel O Donnell never been approached to represent Ireland at Eurovision ?

SI6bs.jpg

:o:o:o:);)

San Marino

Bulgaria

Just Armenia to go now.

San Marino

...has already been posted above...

;)

Caoimhgh1n wrote: »
    ...has already been posted above...

;)

Well sh*t. Haha I thought it was odd nobody had posted it yet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Bulgaria

You know, the addition of the written lyrics has really done nothing for this video :)

"Water so deep, how do we breath" - well d'oh
    "Fear of tomorrow feelings we borrow for a time"
    "Even in the line of fire when everything is on the wire"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

You need to be in one of the main blocs and/or have a decent song to have a chance of even making it to the final. We check neither boxes so its semi-final disappointment once again.

You need to be in one of the main blocs and/or have a decent song to have a chance of even making it to the final. We check neither boxes so its semi-final disappointment once again.

Although I don't believe we will make it into the final, we have a much bigger chance than if we were in semi-final 1. Unfortunately, the United Kingdom will not be voting during our semi-final.

So, now that we know all of the entries in Ireland's semi-final, anyone wanna predict who gets through?
    Have to say, even with the extra country, this is probably the weaker semi-final. And even still Ireland's chances look pretty slim. :(
    FIRST HALF
    Austria
    Denmark
    Hungary
    Ireland
    Macedonia
    Malta
    Netherlands
    Romania
    Russia
    Serbia
    SECOND HALF
    Belarus
    Bulgaria
    Croatia
    Estonia
    Israel
    Lithuania
    Norway
    San Marino
    Switzerland

This is how I see them at the moment:

Definite qualifiers:
    Russia - because Russia
    Romania - will get enough love from televoters even if the jury doesn't go for it
    Serbia - generally do quite well and have a decent, well-produced entry this year

Probable qualifiers:
    Israel - generic dance tune that people seem to enjoy
    Bulgaria - pretty average song but has some nice flourishes, plus a handsome young lad who can sing live, which never hurts
    Macedonia - they generally don't do too well in Eurovision but this is possibly the best entry they've ever produced. Unless the live performance is a trainwreck, it should have enough to get through.
    Hungary - It's different, it's ethnic and it'll stand out.

Borderline qualifiers:
    Austria - This could be a dark horse, it's currently not ranking high on anyone's radar but it's upbeat, cheery and could come to life onstage.
    Netherlands - Don't see it getting a big televote but I reckon the juries might just about push this into the final; while the song itself is a load of tosh, the harmonies are technically excellent.
    Norway - This will either spring a big surprise or completely flop. I'm not a fan so am kinda hoping the latter! :p
    Belarus - Like Hungary it will stand out, but it's a lot less polished and a lot more frantic. I quite enjoy it but it's not likely to be everyone's cup of tea.
    Estonia - Absolute cheesefest but songs like this generally do a lot better than they deserve to.

Unlikely to qualify:
    Ireland - I'm sure Brendan will put in a good performance but the song just isn't good enough, sadly.
    San Marino - Would have gone down a storm in the 1977 Eurovision I'm sure, but the novely factor is not likely to be enough to see it through.
    Switzerland - Poor Switzerland, their entries are always quite forgettable. This one is no different.
    Malta - This song goes nowhere. Very few people will remember it by the end of the night.
    Lithuania - There's a good song buried in there somewhere, but the live performance is just a bit too grating.
    Denmark - It's.....just there. Is anyone at home really gonna be excited enough by this song to vote for it?

When pigs fly:
    Croatia - No. Just no.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

He is too busy visiting elderly ladies bbs.

• Advertisement

Who I think will get through from Semi-Final 1.

Denmark
    Bulgaria
    Switzerland
    Macedonia
    The Netherlands
    Hungary
    Romania
    Serbia
    Belarus
    Israel

Not the biggest fan of the Netherlands or Israel though, but I can see them going through.

Advertisement