Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2017

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Caoimhgh1n

Armenia is the last song.

Caoimhgh1n wrote: »

I quite like it. I think it will be another top ten finish for them, possibly even top five, but I don't see it being the winner.

At the moment all things are pointing to an Italian victory this year, with Belgium looking like the closest challenger and Portugal being the dark horse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

As I said in post #60, listening to Marty Whelan immediately after Nicky failed to qualify for the final, it was as if he thought nothing in the world could be any worse... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;)

He'd probably sound the same if we did send Mike Denver, Nathan Carter or Crystal Swing and they too failed to make it out of the semi-final.

Hence, I won't be watching RTE's coverage for the foreseeable future. If Marty does move on, I might be tempted back - but for now, it's just Graham and the Beeb for me. :o;)

The problem is that RTE are suffering from tunnel vision. They get obsessed with whatever flavour of the moment act they have taken a shine too and then force them on us every chance they get. What they fail to realise is that everyone else does not feel the same way about these poor acts they overhype. Nicky Byrne is an RTE golden boy who was in a Louis Walsh band and then handed a career as a radio and TV presenter.

Excuses like block voting are useful for the media too. They can point and say that this is the reason Irish entries don't do well, and not the poor quality of the songs and singers. Since the media got behind Louis Walsh, boybands and modern country music, the Irish music scene has suffered. It shows that the last time we won it was a time when boybands were not as prominent, when reality TV competitions were not happening and when modern country music was only being recorded in America. These 3 awful music/TV genres are detrimental to the Irish scene and until there is a change, expect Ireland to be at or near the bottom in the Eurovision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Italy has one of the shortest ever early odds for the Eurosong @3 (2/1).

The song has a strong message about humanity whilst offering a view on social media addiction*, evolution and the need for calm in life.

Meanwhile Gabbani and Ranaldi have started a *social media challenge, asking fans to post videos of them doing the dance routine online using the hashtag #ScimmiografoChallenge. The offical video has 34 million YouTube views.

Other wildcards are: Malta, Ukraine (carrying on their 'theme'), plenty of others have yet to be released.

Semi-Final 1.

Semi-Final 2.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Oh dear, Ukraine have banned Russia's singer from taking part. Unclear whether Russia will be allowed send someone else or withdraw completely, but for now it looks like Russia are out.

If Russia don't send another singer, that is one less act in Ireland's semi-final so we have a better chance of getting into the final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

Oh dear, Ukraine have banned Russia's singer from taking part. Unclear whether Russia will be allowed send someone else or withdraw completely, but for now it looks like Russia are out.

How can Ukraine ban a singer from a different country?

How can Ukraine ban a singer from a different country?

Here. :)

Well it's not exactly a surprise, Russia knew exactly what they were doing the entire time. This is what happens when countries are allowed to politicise their entries, 1944 should never have been allowed in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

I have to say I'm sort of relieved. Russia's song is dire!

I have to say I'm sort of relieved. Russia's song is dire!

Well you might be seeing it after all, the EBU has offered Russia the chance to participate via satellite! Remains to be seen if they'll accept, it'd be pretty weird if she ended up winning :pac:

So, Ukraine have said that she'd forbidden from performing via Satellite too, and Russia have rejected the offer either way. Crazy saga, but as I said previously, Russia orchestrated this whole thing, they knew exactly what they were doing the entire time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

I'm pretty sure Russia knew well what they were at when they chose Julia.Knew too well that she wouldn't be allowed into Ukraine. Now we get a sh!tstorm, where it makes Ukraine look bad, Performing via anything apart from performing live like everybody else in Kiev is doing should never be allowed

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Caoimhgh1n wrote: »
    A bit slow to get started, but is one of the more interesting ones this year. Might be too far out for most people, but worth an each-way for me - those Russian votes have to go somewhere close to home.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭dogcat

The Russian votes may go to the Russian singer who is singing for Bulgaria, Kristian Kostov ;) He's second in the odds now.

I don't mind the Bulgarian song but it's completely inferior to Poli's effort, which was far and away the best song of last year imo. Still, in this weak year who knows how high he can go.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Can't believe it's nearly that time of year again. Don't think I'll be watching it except perhaps for the Irish song and maybe the voting which is very predictable. On second thoughts, maybe not.

The more I listen to Occidentali's Karma the more I can't see it not winning. Barring terrific staging from Belgium, I think Italy have it in the bag. I like City Lights but it's currently missing a certain something for me. Could be all wrong though!

Can anyone see the title going to anyone else other than Italy or Belgium? I'd be shocked if it did. Bulgaria is good but currently overrated, would be lucky to get top 5 imo, I'm thinking lower top ten.

I don't mind the Bulgarian song but it's completely inferior to Poli's effort, which was far and away the best song of last year imo. Still, in this weak year who knows how high he can go.

Ah yes the 66/1 outsider than landed in the top 5, Poli had a real classic europop anthem there.

There is one near certainty this year, if the UK enters a song themed in any way on brexit, they'll get even less points than normal which isn't many.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭dogcat

There is one near certainty this year, if the UK enters a song themed in any way on brexit, they'll get even less points than normal which isn't many.
    Their song is already out ;)

dogcat wrote: »
    Their song is already out ;)

As so it is, unfortunately it didn't make it to the playlist on the Celestion studio monitors. On 1st listen, it's essentially sounding like a 'brexit/break-up' song anyway.

It contains as much excitement as discovering there is still some marmite jam left in a jar, found at the back of an unused cupboard.

Here are the lyrics for 'never give up on you' anyways, ideal for anyone who's going for beddy, bye byes, sleepy sleepy, nighty night times.
    It would also suit as background music for a cat funeral:
    Tell me your secrets, I’lll keep them safe
    No sign of weakness, it’s a sign of faith
    We’ll stand tall so you don’t fall

You’re not defeated, you’re in repair
    Don’t have to call me, I’ll always be there
    We’ll stand tall, so you don’t fall

If you could see how far you’ve walked
    You would see that’s all not lost.... etc.

Running order has been released.

Ireland given the latest possible slot they could have been given, performing tenth in the second semi.
    It's a good slot, and being before the rather naff San Marinese entry can't hurt either. Still don't think we'll qualify, mind!
    Here are the lineups, with the countries I think will make it in bold:
    Semi-Final 1:

1. Sweden
    2. Georgia
    3. Australia
    4. Albania
    5. Belgium
    6. Montenegro
    7. Finland
    8. Azerbaijan
    9. Portugal
    10. Greece

11. Poland
    12. Moldova
    13. Iceland
    14. Czech Republic
    15. Cyprus
    16. Armenia
    17. Slovenia
    18. Latvia

Sweden, Belgium and Portugal are almost certain to make it.
    Australia, Armenia and Azerbaijan should all be safe too.
    After that it's tougher to pick. Originally I didn't think Latvia would make it but they've been given a great slot, closing the show after a dour Slovenian entry, and I think that will see them through.
    The other three picks - Finland, Greece and Poland - are the three I'm least confident about. Finland absolutely deserves to make it, so I'm hoping it gets enough love. Poland usually does badly with juries but gets a big boost from the public televote, but I think it may be the other way around for them this year. Greece has a song that probably won't impress juries much but might get more appreciation from the televoters.
    Cyprus, Iceland and maybe even Moldova are in with a shot of making it if any of the above falter.
    Can't see any of the rest placing anywhere (even though I have a soft spot for the Czech entry)
    Semi-Final 2:

1. Serbia
    2. Austria
    3. Russia
    4. FYR Macedonia

5. Malta
    6. Romania
    7. The Netherlands
    8. Hungary
    9. Denmark

10. Ireland
    11. San Marino
    12. Croatia
    13. Norway
    14. Switzerland
    15. Belarus
    16. Bulgaria
    17. Lithuania
    18. Estonia
    19. Israel

A very top-heavy semi.
    Serbia, Russia, Romania and Bulgaria should all be safely through (assuming Russia make it there, that is!)
    Macedonia should also make it, despite their relatively poor record; the song is good and in between two very uninspiring ballads.
    The Netherlands and Hungary both seem like jury bait to me, though I wouldn't be hugely surprised if either or both failed to make it.
    Israel has a big boost by closing the show.
    I originally wrote off Denmark but it seems more popular than I had thought.
    Austria is my dark horse pick, as I still think this one is being underrated, but it hasn't gotten a good draw so its chances may be killed off. I may have to withdraw that pick and go for someone else as the time gets closer.

Personally I'd like to see Belarus make the final, so I hope they'll get in there, and Lithuania could spring a surprise. Estonia may also get through (far too many people like cheesy Disney ballads >_< ) although it doesn't deserve to imo. Don't think any of the rest have much chance.

At the moment, there are my qualifiers (no particular order) As always, my opinions are very likely to change. :p

Semi final 2:

Ireland
    Macedonia
    Switzerland
    Serbia
    Denmark
    Bulgaria
    Estonia
    Romania
    Belarus
    Hungary

Semi final 1:

Australia
    Poland
    Latvia
    Armenia
    Albania
    Azerbaijan
    Portugal
    Belgium
    Iceland
    Moldova

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

I notice there is no media attention given at all to Ireland's entry here this year. Usually, you'd be sick of hearing the Irish media promote the song at this stage. Instead, it has not been hyped and there was not even a Tubridy special for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭The Parish Priest.

I notice there is no media attention given at all to Ireland's entry here this year. Usually, you'd be sick of hearing the Irish media promote the song at this stage. Instead, it has not been hyped and there was not even a Tubridy special for it.

Long gone are the days that the whole country was on fire over Mickey Joe Harte

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Long gone are the days that the whole country was on fire over Mickey Joe Harte

That was only 14 years ago. :o:D;)

But yes, no hype so far this year. Perhaps they're still butthurt after Nicky Byrne's failure? :rolleyes: :D;)

I'm sure Marty will still be grumbling, though, if Brendan doesn't make it out of the semi... :rolleyes: ;)

Just heard Ire's entry, sorry but not even a slight chance (and I thought NB might actually win last year).
    It possibly has the slowest bpm 60-70bpm? And least amount of musical notation of any entry ever.

Sure the singer has ability, but is so under utilised in this drab waltz. The track sounds like a LP back track played at half speed, against a vocal track at double speed. No keys, no guitar, little backing vocs, very little bass and 1/3rd of a drum kit.

Meanwhile, the 'non-political euro-pop-fest' on 9-13th May, is turning into a political fiasco as UKR is facing a ban next year for trying to ban the Ruskies this year.

Well there's a reason for that, it's a terrible song. If it somehow manages to scrape through its weak semi final it'll be bottom five in the final.

• Advertisement

Did anybody watch any of the performances in London?

Advertisement