Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting with dogs

Options
  • 16-12-2016 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Due to circumstances it seems necessary to sell our house and rent. We wish to stay in Galway, but the biggest problem is the fact we have dogs and cats. We are both in our sixties, and have been homeowners all our lives, in fact I rented out a property out myself for 10 years. We are quiet, would take good care of a property, happy with rural location as would love somewhere to exercise the dogs, but I think these dogs are going to be our biggest problem. Could anyone give me any ideas where I might find houses to rent that accept pets? Well trained, clean ones I might add. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭aynneone

Ive not seen that site before, thank you so much for your post. This relocation is going to be due to illness and is still very much up in the air at the moment, but there is certainly one property, a little expensive, but that would be absolutely perfect. A lot of the rentals do stipulate no pets, and with a large, a medium and a small dog, plus twin pussy cats of no use to us, but as I say, one fantastic property that if we were ready to go would have seriously interested me. Again, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

It is a nightmare trying to find a place to rent with animals, a lot of people are ok with cats but not dogs which i found odd. Loughrea might have something to suit

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭aynneone

Thanks Milly x

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Try looking for unfurnished properties. We are renting with 2 dogs and have found that landlords of unfurnished properties are more willing to let to pet owners as the potential damage is smaller. It would also have the advantage that you could keep the furniture you have now. It is most certainly of better quality than anything you'd find in a rental.
    Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Milly33 wrote: »
    It is a nightmare trying to find a place to rent with animals, a lot of people are ok with cats but not dogs which i found odd. Loughrea might have something to suit

It is difficult to find a place to rent with dogs. I have one dog and the back garden is just about ok with regular poo cleaning. Then I had two as I had to mind a big dog for a month. The poo was on an industrial scale. There was not a blade of grass left what with all the running around. And if dogs are running around in that and they get into the house, well, no landlord will want that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

But isnt that kinda up to you to work with should leave all as you find it

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭parkerpen

There are dogs and there are dogs... Much depends on the type of dog, the age of the dog, the breed etc. etc.. It's difficult to generalise as some dogs are absolutely no problem at all, whereas others are. It also depends on how clean the owners keep their dog. It's difficult, i suppose, to factor all of these things in when renting out a house though. If your dog is inoffensive, that should be pointed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

parkerpen wrote: »
    There are dogs and there are dogs... Much depends on the type of dog, the age of the dog, the breed etc. etc.. It's difficult to generalise as some dogs are absolutely no problem at all, whereas others are. It also depends on how clean the owners keep their dog. It's difficult, i suppose, to factor all of these things in when renting out a house though. If your dog is inoffensive, that should be pointed a.

You are right about different types of dogs and whether the owners are responsible and so on but a landlord isn't going to agonize about all of that. From their point of view dogs and pets in general mean trouble, problems and expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭parkerpen

bobbyss wrote: »
    You are right about different types of dogs and whether the owners are responsible and so on but a landlord isn't going to agonize about all of that. From their point of view dogs and pets in general mean trouble, problems and expense.
    I agree. There's quite a difference though between a Bichon Frise (a small dog that doesn't shed) and a Golden Retriever, Alsatian or whatever. Easier for a landlord to put a blanket ban though as somebody with a dog could always get another (different) dog.

• Advertisement
Advertisement