Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VR and Huawei Y6II Compact

Options
  • 16-12-2016 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭

Right, my mam got my Dad this phone for Christmas and my Dad who's been barking on about this VR mumbo jumbo for a while.

I'm not a Huawei fan (lots of people I know had problems with their models) and I made it known that I wouldn't have bought one and I'd rather spend a little more and make sure I or the other person has a good investment out of a phone purchase. But alas my mam ignored me and bought this phone anyway.

I'm very much into technology but never owned one of these VR headset things, so I haven't a clue what I'm buying or do they work on some phones or all, and to be honest I don't have much interest in VR. My Dad likes these things yet won't fork out himself for giving himself the best experience possible if he wants these things which is kind of frustrating.

I don't know if this phone is compatible for a VR device, they seem to be selling them pretty cheap all over the web, I'd get one for him to shut him up but the phone was on the cheap side, 120 euro, so I don't want to buy this VR headset to discover the almighty headache of it not working with the phone for whatever reason whether the app/s you need for isn't it isn't compatible on the phone or whatever.

Hate buying these things for other people, because one component might not work with the other because someone choose a lower budget phone after me telling them I wouldn't get it, then I'm 40 euro out of pocket as a result of it. I've looked all over the web to see is this phone VR compatible and I can't seem to get that info anywhere.

Here is the phone http://www.three.ie/online/voice/prepay/huawei-y6-ii/?src=p

God I hate Christmas. Like when I'm buying some form of tech for myself I'll make sure and have the right things for it to work smoothly but when other people buy tech and want other things to go with it, it often ends in disaster where the object bought sits on top of the wardrobe for months never to be brought back for a credit note or whatever. Not into being in a s**t mood over Christmas fiddling with the thing all day only for it not to work, when all I want is to chill for the day.

Is this thing compatible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Your OP could have been half the length or less...

Anyways, Forget it.
    720 x 1280 pixels (~294 ppi pixel density)

OS Android OS, v5.1 (Lollipop)
    Chipset Qualcomm MSM8909 Snapdragon 210
    CPU Quad-core 1.1 GHz Cortex-A7
    GPU Adreno 304

That'll output low framerates at a really crap looking resolution (he'll see the pixels). Most likely be motion sick after 10 mins.

If you want decent VR the phone will cost €300+. Huawei isnt the problem, its just a low low end phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

ED E wrote: »
    Your OP could have been half the length or less...

Anyways, Forget it.

That'll output low framerates at a really crap looking resolution (he'll see the pixels). Most likely be motion sick after 10 mins.

If you want decent VR the phone will cost €300+. Huawei isnt the problem, its just a low low end phone.

Yeah I was more or less thinking the same or it wouldn't work period, I'd imagine you'd need a fairly top notch phone for it, I know the cheaper smart phones have come a long way in recent years, but enough to enjoy as a 3D entity? Didn't think so. He's not the type to spend €300+ on any phone and would go nuts if any of us spent €300+ on a phone, he gets like a cheaper end phone every 2 years or so. I keep telling him to get like one for €300-€500 and just keep it for longer and it's more of an investment and he won't have to change every 2 years, plus he'd enjoy the features of the phone better, but he settles for cheaper models and gives out that he can't get certain tech or apps to work and be compatible with it. Kind of wants his cake and eat it type of thing, wrecks my head.

I myself would get a top notch phone and get 4 years out of it, in fact my own phone is nearly 5 years old, mine was top of the market at the time (HTC One X) probably wouldn't work with VR, but I paid €530 at the time, the most expensive phone I've ever had, love the phone wouldn't be without it, almost had it mugged on me last year and I knocked the muggers block off so he couldn't get it, when I change phones there'll be 3D holograms coming out of it like in Star Wars, Ha.

The father can settle for after shave, he's just very hard to shop for, nothing he wants and when he does want something it's a complete pain in the hole for me to get, or explain to him that the devise isn't likely to work because of the quality of the phone. I have a headache just thinking about buying that thing then seeing it doesn't right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Sounds like my own father.Wants to be in with the latest thing and has no clue,First off you need to know that the screen res is what makes the visuals better as pointed out about and this will work with cardboard compatible headsets. These are widely available and so are cardboard offerings. I have around 30 different types of headsets at hand as I test products and found some cardboard options better than HMDs ( Head Mounted Displays) Which might sound odd. I have several types of HMDs with a price range from 10-80 euros and the balance here is not necessarily you pay for what you get.
    Then you have the comfort option too which can vary but what we are finding now in lots of stores is a generic offering with branding when in fact they are all from the same manufacturer just branded as per-say. Example EURO 3 shops have them there for 10 euro and dunnes stores used to sell the same one and funnily enough I deal with a company that had one done for itself branded iCandy then seen them in the CPW weeks later.. There is another generic one actually coming over now im going to test out to compare to others I have tried which is called VR BOX but again this has been used dozens of times with a brand name attached but want to see what its got to offer vs last years,They are getting cheaper. I have also tried one called the stealth VR 200 I Had the first public one to test out with a 3 month lead and for its price its been the best one about with superb comfort especially with long periods....

I have the Gear VR this years and last years which is the cheapest and best thing to actually experiencing VR in its true form but its propriety to samsung devices and the best price circa 99 but you need a samsung device like the S6/7 etc.

My Father (66) tried cardboard and seemed ok,depending on what you are viewing, When he tried the Gear VR this is when he had issues with feeling sick and dizzy and worse again with the Playstation VR which would be the next cheapest real consumer version without the need for super computers to run the likes of Oculus and Vive for example.. If you want an honest opinion get a cardboard headset first which is cheap and see how he gets on and then perhaps but the cheap one in the EURO 2 shops which is head mounted ...After that maybe a better phone thats affordable like the Samsung S6 might be the thing and Gear VR but like my father he had a mid to low range smartphone and some apps wont even load on it...Then he got the One PLus 3 and even that wont work with some apps,Now he wants the S7 Edge just to be trendy and it is just way too much on an overkill for him when he would use just 4/5 news apps on his current phone,This is another area you will have issues with too and as for Huawei I once liked them but their cheap phones while good when new just bog down after a few weeks usage..

The only issue you would face after that then from my experience is the pesky phone calls about the phone itself and its apps, things that happen with it and what can it do. Thank Christ my father has no interest in social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Sounds like my own father.Wants to be in with the latest thing and has no clue,First off you need to know that the screen res is what makes the visuals better as pointed out about and this will work with cardboard compatible headsets. These are widely available and so are cardboard offerings. I have around 30 different types of headsets at hand as I test products and found some cardboard options better than HMDs ( Head Mounted Displays) Which might sound odd. I have several types of HMDs with a price range from 10-80 euros and the balance here is not necessarily you pay for what you get.
    Then you have the comfort option too which can vary but what we are finding now in lots of stores is a generic offering with branding when in fact they are all from the same manufacturer just branded as per-say. Example EURO 3 shops have them there for 10 euro and dunnes stores used to sell the same one and funnily enough I deal with a company that had one done for itself branded iCandy then seen them in the CPW weeks later.. There is another generic one actually coming over now im going to test out to compare to others I have tried which is called VR BOX but again this has been used dozens of times with a brand name attached but want to see what its got to offer vs last years,They are getting cheaper. I have also tried one called the stealth VR 200 I Had the first public one to test out with a 3 month lead and for its price its been the best one about with superb comfort especially with long periods....

I have the Gear VR this years and last years which is the cheapest and best thing to actually experiencing VR in its true form but its propriety to samsung devices and the best price circa 99 but you need a samsung device like the S6/7 etc.

My Father (66) tried cardboard and seemed ok,depending on what you are viewing, When he tried the Gear VR this is when he had issues with feeling sick and dizzy and worse again with the Playstation VR which would be the next cheapest real consumer version without the need for super computers to run the likes of Oculus and Vive for example.. If you want an honest opinion get a cardboard headset first which is cheap and see how he gets on and then perhaps but the cheap one in the EURO 2 shops which is head mounted ...After that maybe a better phone thats affordable like the Samsung S6 might be the thing and Gear VR but like my father he had a mid to low range smartphone and some apps wont even load on it...Then he got the One PLus 3 and even that wont work with some apps,Now he wants the S7 Edge just to be trendy and it is just way too much on an overkill for him when he would use just 4/5 news apps on his current phone,This is another area you will have issues with too and as for Huawei I once liked them but their cheap phones while good when new just bog down after a few weeks usage..

The only issue you would face after that then from my experience is the pesky phone calls about the phone itself and its apps, things that happen with it and what can it do. Thank Christ my father has no interest in social media.

I got him aftershave in the end, I just can't deal with the headache on Christmas day if it doesn't work, by all accounts I need a fancy enough phone for the proper order devices, my Dad would never buy a phone worth more than 200 euro and he'd fly off the handle if any of us did, he doesn't get that if you want a gadget that does these things, you got to pay that kind of money at the moment. He watches very little stuff anyway, just stupid videos on Youtube and whatnot, maybe some Netflix, he's not into games or anything over the top. I'll look into cardboard, I got a few days left.

I got him an expensive aftershave and a David Attenborough Planet Earth II Blu Ray, he got a phone off the mother and he has other yokes to get off my sisters, should be happy enough ffs! lol

Advertisement