Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow 200 2017

Options
  • 16-12-2016 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

Registration is open for next year at €50.

A few extras this year including training plans, extra stops, variety of food and entertainment at the start and finish

http://www.wicklow200.ie/category/news/

Routes remain the same.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Just signed up there. Will be my second after 2015. Now for the inevitable struggle to get ready for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,787 ✭✭✭✭dahat

How lumpy is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

dahat wrote: »
    How lumpy is this?

The 100k is grand the 200k is a whole other kettle of fish. It's not so much the climbing as when the climbing takes place. I'd say there's plenty of strava segments for it and a profile on the website.

http://www.wicklow200.ie/

http://www.wicklow200.ie/the-2016-event-details/

Roughly 2700m of climbing iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Euro Fred

It's the last part from Avoca that I find is the killer, the big hills you prepare for and know they are coming but the last 40k is tough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

Its impressive that they've took the trouble to send out a survey and then actually paid attention to the feedback. Good on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Will sign up for this.
    Did a few 100k+ last year so want to improve on that. Also planning a dublin to donegal cycle, so this should help!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

How lumpy is this?

You're well able for it via Strava (more so than me), just take the pedal off the gas a tad :) It's not a race.
    cajonlardo wrote: »
    Its impressive that they've took the trouble to send out a survey and then actually paid attention to the feedback. Good on them.

I hope so! My suggestions were that there be water and Gels available at set intervals. Feck the sandwiches!
    Thus people could use one water bottle, and not have to carry around Gels for the duration.

#marginalgains

You're well able for it via Strava (more so than me), just take the pedal off the gas a tad :) It's not a race.

I hope so! My suggestions were that there be water and Gels available at set intervals. Feck the sandwiches!
    Thus people could use one water bottle, and not have to carry around Gels for the duration.

#marginalgains

Think I might sign up, likely be a solo Misson so possibly will look to get in a group if I do sign up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

A bit of a change in the route would have also been nice. It's been the same now for a few years now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

Think I might sign up, likely be a solo Misson so possibly will look to get in a group if I do sign up.

Well worth doing if you've never had the chance, getting in a group won't be a problem, staying in it might and some of the big fast groups on the Hollywood-Baltinglass- Hacketstown leg can be big and quite hairy.
    A bit of a change in the route would have also been nice. It's been the same now for a few years now.

Yeah, I'd agree, this will be my fifth year doing the same route, I also suggested to the IVCA in the survey that the option to start in West Wicklow would be nice, it's a long day when you have to drive to and from Greystones

nilhg wrote: »
    Well worth doing if you've never had the chance, getting in a group won't be a problem, staying in it might and some of the big fast groups on the Hollywood-Baltinglass- Hacketstown leg can be big and quite hairy.

Yeah, I'd agree, this will be my fifth year doing the same route, I also suggested to the IVCA in the survey that the option to start in West Wicklow would be nice, it's a long day when you have to drive to and from Greystones

Well if I'm attempting a 200km around the hills I won't be at any sort of fast pace. I'll find a handy group along the way.

Is this likely to sell out?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,537 ✭✭✭✭ted1

How lumpy is this?

Real lumpy like a bad custard , but worth doing it's a real target setter

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Is this likely to sell out?

Yes but not til Mar/April if not later

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

@dahat
    It's very likely to sell out.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    @dahat
    It's very likely to sell out.

Best not delay then, I'll try rope a club mate into it for company.

Looks a real challenge and not to be undertaken lightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

dahat - it's not that lumpy when you factor in the length. There are lots of boring flat bits and 2 food stops It will be no bother to you based on what you already do.

I agree with the previous comments about the route. Badly needs a change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Euro Fred wrote: »
    Registration is open for next year at €50.

A few extras this year including training plans, extra stops, variety of food and entertainment at the start and finish

http://www.wicklow200.ie/category/news/

Routes remain the same.

So the price has gone up?! Bloody ridiculous! Training plans my arse.
    Sort out the stops you had, fix the food at the end (non existant last year) and ditch the godawful medals and you'd have it sorted.
    Clueless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

terrydel wrote: »
    Sort out the stops you had, fix the food at the end (non existant last year) and ditch the godawful medals and you'd have it sorted.
    Clueless.

If you took your hand of the outrage button and looked at it as 50 euro to cycle around Wicklow with a few thousand other cyclists, on roads that are effectively closed ( most locals make other arrangements ) with some OK grub thrown in, its not bad value.

Cant see the proceeds going to some fat cat CEO with several houses either, and some of the vets have good stories about coming 15th in some race that Kelly won back in the day.

There's not much to throw a wobbler over in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

I've only done the WW200 once, in 2015, but I was very impressed with the organisation, marshalling and the set-up at the feed stations. My only advice for any newbies would be to keep as much energy in the tank as you can for the final 30-40km. It might be the home stretch but it is lumpy as hell with lots of short, sharp climbs and no real respite.

• Advertisement

terrydel wrote: »
    Clueless.

Don't do it then.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

I did my first one, 1984, second year running of the event? Cycled about another five since.

Then, it was called "A Reliability Trial". Get around 200 odd kilos. There wasn't much talk about sandwiches and food, even they were provided. It's not about that. It's surely about the cyclists ability to get around the course, much like Audax these days.

DSCN0018_zpsp2dosvxn.jpg

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,537 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Using my km in 84 was very progressive. Was cycling always in km?

Moflojo wrote: »
    I've only done the WW200 once, in 2015, but I was very impressed with the organisation, marshalling and the set-up at the feed stations. My only advice for any newbies would be to keep as much energy in the tank as you can for the final 30-40km. It might be the home stretch but it is lumpy as hell with lots of short, sharp climbs and no real respite.

Any huge gradients in it as a whole? Long ass climbs I can do but short sharp 15% + gradients kill me

Any huge gradients in it as a whole? Long ass climbs I can do but short sharp 15% + gradients kill me

One or two short sharp climbs/hills over 15% after the rathdrum stop towards the end. They are only very short.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Your 3 main long climbs:

Wicklow Gap Westwards: https://www.strava.com/segments/635753

Slieve Mann Northbound: https://www.strava.com/segments/1234683

Shay Elliott Northbound: https://www.strava.com/segments/9680758

(I can't really recall anything over 15%.)

Your 3 main long climbs:

Wicklow Gap Westwards: https://www.strava.com/segments/635753

Slieve Mann Northbound: https://www.strava.com/segments/1234683

Shay Elliott Northbound: https://www.strava.com/segments/9680758

(I can't really recall anything over 15%.)

Their is a sharp left hand turn in balinacorr with a 300 meter climb that goes to about 18% according to Strava.

Ballinacor- barndarraig is the complete segment on Strava and it's over 2 km

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    If you took your hand of the outrage button and looked at it as 50 euro to cycle around Wicklow with a few thousand other cyclists, on roads that are effectively closed ( most locals make other arrangements ) with some OK grub thrown in, its not bad value.

Cant see the proceeds going to some fat cat CEO with several houses either, and some of the vets have good stories about coming 15th in some race that Kelly won back in the day.

There's not much to throw a wobbler over in fairness.

I dont care enough to be outraged. I dont see it as good value at all, even at last year's prices, and certainly compared to most other sportives. Its even less so this time given the increase.
    Has the world gone so PC now, that any form of criticism is seen as too much?
    I've done it numerous times, highly unlikely to do it again as things stand. Just an opinion, not outrage or a wobbler.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

50 quid is very expensive especially if you ride those roads regularly. Its an iconic event I guess, most cyclist start with the WW200 and is a great stepping stone and annual target. A bloody hard day on the bike regardless of what level you ride.

• Advertisement

And as I've already said people don't have to do it. In my experience some people will whinge and moan even if something is free and the WW 200 seems to get more than its fair share.

Advertisement