Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow 200 2017

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Has anyone seen the " News " section of the Wicklow 200 website . Something about collecting your " Race kit " the day before in Cycle Superstore . Normally that stuff is posted out to everyone several days before the event . Am I missing something here ?:confused:

"Competitors in the Wicklow 200 and Wicklow 100 Challenge events can collect their race packs and goody bags at the market leading Cycle SuperStore in Tallaght, County Dublin from 10am until 1pm on June 10th before registration moves across to event headquarters in Bray."

Race??? No interest in going to CSS on the saturday. From their facebook page
    What if people are travelling to the event on the morning from a distance?

Wicklow 200 Not to worry! You'll be able to collect from the start/finish on the morning of the event from 5:30am.

Seems like a crock of crap to get more money from sponsors, save on postage, and leave those entering with more to faff about with in the morning of what will already be a long day. Not impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

smacl wrote: »
    Race??? No interest in going to CSS on the saturday. From their facebook page

Seems like a crock of crap to get more money from sponsors, save on postage, and leave those entering with more to faff about with in the morning of what will already be a long day. Not impressed.

save on postage? You mean they're not posting out the numbers, etc, prior to the event?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Well going on previous Sportives the pack will be minimal and hardly worth collecting i'd say. I'm not overly fussed and will collect on the day if needs be.

Do people start out early for the 200 itself? I'm really short on details due to other factors just now, prep is poorish at best!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

dahat wrote: »
    Well going on previous Sportives the pack will be minimal and hardly worth collecting i'd say. I'm not overly fussed and will collect on the day if needs be.

Do people start out early for the 200 itself? I'm really short on details due to other factors just now, prep is poorish at best!

Last year they posted out your number along with a few little samples of things. Presume it's going to be the same in the pack this year, along with the chip for the timing element they've introduced. I reckon the jersey is for those who have purchased it. I'll be signing on the day before with the view of starting a tad earlier this year.

Previous years it has been a number you pin to your jersey and a card they swipe at beginning and end to get the time, all posted out a few weeks before the event. I'm cycling to the start and hope to get there 6-6:15 to roll out about 6:30 as I'm one of the slower ones getting around the course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

exactly, I've entered this every year for the last 13 years (haven't ridden every year due to circumstances, but I always take out an entry) and they've always sent out the number, control card and route information. smacl's comment on them saving posting suggests to me that this year they won't be doing that.

As regards start time, that depends what time you want to finish, and whether you want to be arriving at food stops in a crowd. I'd always leave at 6:45ish. I'd certainly never want to leave later than 7:30am.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

So we'll have hundreds of people getting undressed at the start line to pin their numbers on their jerseys? I think I'll put mine in a pocket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

ratracer wrote: »
    Oh dear....., my options are 39x28 or 39x25!!

I have an 11-23 you can borrow. Make things a little more interesting.

Thanks lads!

I'll be in Bray the day before so I'll register then and like Smacl I'll hit the road we'll before official start time of 7am.

So we'll have hundreds of people getting undressed at the start line to pin their numbers on their jerseys? I think I'll put mine in a pocket.

Kind of hoping they might either go for a wrist band like the Orwell Randonee or something similar. Faffing about with safety pins at dawn would be a pain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Big Mig

py wrote: »
    I think he means this little stretch... Comes close to 30% :pac:

https://www.strava.com/segments/4763946

We use the roads around there a lot on Bray Wheelers club spins and its definitely not 30%. The first left hand bend is about 20% for about 30 metres then settles down after that. Will be hard though at that point in the day.
    Lucky it doesn't go all the way up to Connary!! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... and like Smacl I'll hit the road we'll before official start time of 7am.
    Don't overthink it dahat. If you go too early, you'll miss much of the buzz. I generally start around 8am. Another disadvantage of going early (for a strong rider like yourself) is that you've no one to pass so you won't feel like you're making any progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭blackvalley

I have mailed the organisers twice already to find out about collecting numbers etc but no reply .
    Shocking poor service for an expensive event .

Don't overthink it dahat. If you go too early, you'll miss much of the buzz. I generally start around 8am. Another disadvantage of going early (for a strong rider like yourself) is that you've no one to pass so you won't feel like you're making any progress.

This is true and that did help me in the SK160 last year, must have passed 40 lads on The Nire alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

I have mailed the organisers twice already to find out about collecting numbers etc but no reply .
    Shocking poor service for an expensive event .

On the Saturday, 10-1pm in Cycle Superstore and then afterwards at the venue itself (presumably allow them time to relocate there, maybe an hour?). Then as early as 5:30am on the morning of the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

This is true and that did help me in the SK160 last year, must have passed 40 lads on The Nire alone.

Myself and WA follow you on Strava, you will be fine, honest. you're well able, don't worry about the climbing. You're pretty savage on the bike tbh.

Resist putting the hammer down bar the last 20. Shure your nearly home and you have to burn those gels off :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Sounds like the Corrabut gap? Not that I don't love surprises, but I may try to fit this ramp into my weekend spin on Sunday. Looking on Google street view, does seem very much like the Devil's elbow, with the painful bit quite short.

That's the fella - couldn't remember the name.

it's a short, sharp killer straight out of the valley - but then much better than the Avoca drag and hike around the edges of the N11.

Myself and WA follow you on Strava, you will be fine, honest. you're well able, don't worry about the climbing. You're pretty savage on the bike tbh.

Resist putting the hammer down bar the last 20. Shure your nearly home and you have to burn those gels off :)

Thanks!!!

Hopefully all will go ok, fairly ok on climbs pace wise but as you said just to resist the hammer till on.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

Kind of hoping they might either go for a wrist band like the Orwell Randonee or something similar. Faffing about with safety pins at dawn would be a pain.
    Safety pins at dawn sounds like a bizarre duelling ritual!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

6 mins top to bottom - much prefer this route.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Has anyone seen the " News " section of the Wicklow 200 website . Something about collecting your " Race kit " the day before in Cycle Superstore . Normally that stuff is posted out to everyone several days before the event . Am I missing something here ?:confused:

"Competitors in the Wicklow 200 and Wicklow 100 Challenge events can collect their race packs and goody bags at the market leading Cycle SuperStore in Tallaght, County Dublin from 10am until 1pm on June 10th before registration moves across to event headquarters in Bray."

IF thats true it can only be about getting people into the shop and trying to patr them from some of their hard earned cash. Terribly cynical if thats the case, it gets harder and harder to have any respect for some of these sportives. Some of them are starting to become blatant money gougers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

Gave it the benefit of the doubt after last year and entered but that is the end of that , they are acting the dick now.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Atom Ant

cajonlardo wrote: »
    Gave it the benefit of the doubt after last year and entered but that is the end of that , they are acting the dick now.

I disagree with you guys. You are tarnishing the WW with the ROK brush. I feel your vibe...leaves a bad taste in my mouth but the WW get the impression these people do not have a bad bone in their body.

Rocky valley road one year walking girl cycling up passing me enquires are you OK. Not dejected but encouraged by the fact she is fit. More a must try harder attitude.

So we walk up the hills who cares. I will be on my f8 walk up in style.It will be a glorious day out. Ok let's be honest, it is tough but before you die you have the right to say to the Norse Gods, I have earned the right to enter Valhalla.According to accu weather holding. One hell of a job to finish it but God loves a trier. One thing I did not like was a guy with a holier then thou attitude not to wear ear phones. I am not doing 100km without listening to music. All I wanted was directions not an attitude. I learned there is no hard fast rules on the WW. The bauty of a challenge is to fail then say' mummy I want to go again'. That's the WW

Last time out in the hall in Greystones the dudes gave us like 20 sandwiches. People that run the WW generous to a fault. When we hook up with the guys that do the 200 route when I do the 100 both impressed and feel part of the event. At least we can pretend we are good as they are. I might miss a few sportives due to bad weather but this is one I am not going to miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

terrydel wrote: »
    IF thats true it can only be about getting people into the shop and trying to patr them from some of their hard earned cash. Terribly cynical if thats the case, it gets harder and harder to have any respect for some of these sportives. Some of them are starting to become blatant money gougers.

Whilst I'm sure the sponsor wants to get something back from their investment it could also be a case of making things a little easier for the participants.

Not having to drive to Bray the day before or an extra 15 mins in the bed on the morning of the event seems like something that will be of use to a lot of people.

Postage costs are not insignificant these days after the last price increase. Win win as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 TopTube

Agreed with many of the sentiments regarding the lack of communication.

I emailed three weeks ago to enquire if some gluten free snacks would be available at food stops - I know "gluten free", forgive me but I'm a genuine coeliac. No reply.

Anyone in a similar boat?

I'm pretty happy with the registration process as I'm staying locally the day before and I'm sure many others are in my situation. Those nearby can either register in Dublin or in Bray the day of and Eve, doesn't seem too off-putting to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

terrydel wrote: »
    IF thats true it can only be about getting people into the shop and trying to part them from some of their hard earned cash. Terribly cynical if thats the case, it gets harder and harder to have any respect for some of these sportives. Some of them are starting to become blatant money gougers.

And what's wrong with that? What cyclist doesn't like going into a bike shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Is it not more about it being more convenient for anyone that side, or north/ west of Dublin to get to Tallaght than get around to Bray? Saturday can be poor enough traffic wise on a Saturday around Bray.

I think people are looking for something to give out about at this stage, if a Dublin registration, in a bike shop, is what we're down too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Is it not more about it being more convenient for anyone that side, or north/ west of Dublin to get to Tallaght than get around to Bray? Saturday can be poor enough traffic wise on a Saturday around Bray.

I think people are looking for something to give out about at this stage, if a Dublin registration, in a bike shop, is what we're down too.

The thing is, last year, and the previous ones, you got a barcoded card in the post, when you arrived at the start you lined up, had the card scanned and away with you, no faffing about searching a sheet for your name, no looking for bags with numbers on, just in and out, this year could be a nightmare at busy times if it's like any old bog standard sportive.

Maybe most of the local Dublin crew will be sorted from the previous day but anyone coming from up or down the country will hardly be driving up to register the day before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

nilhg wrote: »
    The thing is, last year, and the previous ones, you got a barcoded card in the post, when you arrived at the start you lined up, had the card scanned and away with you, no faffing about searching a sheet for your name, no looking for bags with numbers on, just in and out, this year could be a nightmare at busy times if it's like any old bog standard sportive.
    Still seemed pretty faffy at the time I arrived at Shoreline last year to be honest. Start and end queing were probably my only complaints.

Advertisement