Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow 200 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭lissard

I think people on this thread have a very valid point about the W200 organisations lack of response to their genuine queries. I had exactly this experience last year when trying to return a jersey. To be honest I'm not sure they respond to email. I would recommend instead posting directly on their Facebook page, from what I can see they do respond to that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

07Lapierre wrote: »
    And what's wrong with that? What cyclist doesn't like going into a bike shop?

Ones who had other plans for that Saturday morning, given they'll be cycling all day Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

I think them not posting out this year is a bit dud tbh, particularly with the price increase. Sure, it suits me to go to CSS on the Saturday morning but would obviously prefer not to. I'd say it's more of a pain for those travelling outside of Dublin as it means they've more to organise for that weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

smacl wrote: »
    Ones who had other plans for that Saturday morning, given they'll be cycling all day Sunday.

So pick it up in Bray on Sunday Morning. (Mountain/molehill comes to mind)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Ones who had other plans for that Saturday morning....
    ...like those doing the Boards.ie Evil ride!

• Advertisement

So pick it up in Bray on Sunday Morning. (Mountain/molehill comes to mind)

TBH, it is the lack of communication that irks*. I'd sent an email wanting to know when/whether the usual number / card etc... would be posted out and got no response. First I heard it wouldn't was on this thread. Had to post on their facebook page to find out whether it would be possible to do this on the morning. This is something they should be communicating to those taking part, not something participants discover or not based on their use of social media, particularly since this is a change to the way they've run the event in recent years. The cost they're saving themselves on postage seems to be at the expense of those taking part.

(* also a bit grumpy at the mo due to a chest infection keeping me off the bike, so jumping at any opportunity to bitch about things. Should be grand on the day!)

TBH, it is the lack of communication that irks*. I'd sent an email wanting to know when/whether the usual number / card etc... would be posted out and got no response. First I heard it wouldn't was on this thread. Had to post on their facebook page to find out whether it would be possible to do this on the morning. This is something they should be communicating to those taking part, not something participants discover or not based on their use of social media, particularly since this is a change to the way they've run the event in recent years. The cost they're saving themselves on postage seems to be at the expense of those taking part.

(* also a bit grumpy at the mo due to a chest infection keeping me off the bike, so jumping at any opportunity to bitch about things. Should be grand on the day!)

TBH, I think the whole "Card" thing is silly. why the organisers cant use the sign up process and simply email a receipt with a number and/or a bar code on it when you pay. no need then for any "Pack", no postage etc.

On the day, people would be able to arrive, have their barcode scanned (i.e. sign in), then they could have these "Packs" on a table and volunteers could simply give one to those who want one.

Has anyone mentioned Medals yet? :p

Don't mention the war, youngest was raging that year not to have a new medal for her collection. Told in no uncertain terms to go faster next year ;)

Just got this. Someone somewhere maybe reads boards.

418686.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Crocked wrote: »
    terrydel wrote: »
    IF thats true it can only be about getting people into the shop and trying to patr them from some of their hard earned cash. Terribly cynical if thats the case, it gets harder and harder to have any respect for some of these sportives. Some of them are starting to become blatant money gougers.

Whilst I'm sure the sponsor wants to get something back from their investment it could also be a case of making things a little easier for the participants.

Not having to drive to Bray the day before or an extra 15 mins in the bed on the morning of the event seems like something that will be of use to a lot of people.

Postage costs are not insignificant these days after the last price increase. Win win as far as I can see.
    Respectfully disagree. Understand postage costs are not insignificant, but the cost has gone up, and cyclesuperstore doesnt suit a lot of people location wise (its very handy for me I must say).
    Fair enough if they want to get something back for their investment, in retrospect I cant begrudge them that.
    But this will now be chip timed and personally I think that money is far better spent on things like posting out these packs. Chip timing is a waste of time on sportives in this day and age, everyone has garmin type devices that do the job better anyway. And it is for me at least against the spirit of sportives, and a mere gimmick. Posting out was hugely helpful to all participants, there simply is no argument that this has made things worse in that regard. and its unneccesary given the increase in cost. Just my opinion.

• Advertisement

TBH, it is the lack of communication that irks*.  I'd sent an email wanting to know when/whether the usual number / card etc... would be posted out and got no response.  First I heard it wouldn't was on this thread.  Had to post on their facebook page to find out whether it would be possible to do this on the morning.  This is something they should be communicating to those taking part, not something participants discover or not based on their use of social media, particularly since this is a change to the way they've run the event in recent years.  The cost they're saving themselves on postage seems to be at the expense of those taking part.

(* also a bit grumpy at the mo due to a chest infection keeping me off the bike, so jumping at any opportunity to bitch about things.  Should be grand on the day!)

TBH, I think the whole "Card" thing is silly. why the organisers cant use the sign up process and simply email a receipt with a number and/or a bar code on it when you pay. no need then for any "Pack", no postage etc.  

On the day, people would be able to arrive, have their barcode scanned (i.e. sign in), then they could have these "Packs" on a table and volunteers could simply give one to those who want one.

Most sportives these days seem to use the likes of eventbrite which works well. Scanned on the day and off you go.
    Any that dont use this method should move it imho. Im sure theres a cost attached but its worth it I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭bbolger

Just got this. Someone somewhere maybe reads boards.

418686.png

So assuming you "sign on" at option 1 or 2, what's actually required on the Sunday morning then, just get your card scanned to start the clock ticking?

Longer queues than normal even last year so l'll definitely be getting there early as imagine there'll be added hassle with the new sign on and location move.

bbolger wrote: »
    So assuming you "sign on" at option 1 or 2, what's actually required on the Sunday morning then, just get your card scanned to start the clock ticking?
    I'm assuming that after doing 1 or 2, you would be in the same position as having received the pack in the post in previous years - just get scanned in on the morning of the ride itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

BTW, when you get scanned at the start, the clock starts ticking, so when you finish, get scanned again asap. Don't be hanging around lording in your awsome'ness! Which you are more than entitled too tbh.

That's how it was in 2015, can't actually recall any "times list" for last year!

BTW, when you get scanned at the start, the clock starts ticking, so when you finish, get scanned again asap. Don't be hanging around lording in your awsome'ness! Which you are more than entitled too tbh....
    Leaving aside those who are just interested in getting to the finish line, those who are interested in their time will probably be using the details on their Garmins etc. rather than official times.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Leaving aside those who are just interested in getting to the finish line, those who are interested in their time will probably be using the details on their Garmins etc. rather than official times.
    Strava time is the only time that matters, and the only proof of actually doing it anyway!

BTW, when you get scanned at the start, the clock starts ticking, so when you finish, get scanned again asap. Don't be hanging around lording in your awsome'ness! Which you are more than entitled too tbh.

That's how it was in 2015, can't actually recall any "times list" for last year!

Dont get the fascination with the official event time at all, the only one that matters is the one on your bike, actual cycling time.
    Anything else can be affected by numerous factors so means sod all really.

An extra 200 entries available...

http://www.wicklow200.ie/extra-entries/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Anyone got a set of W200 Garmin 520 friendly settings? I'd go mad if it dies near the end...

Bluetooth off
    Screen at 40%
    Backlight off????

Anything else I'm missing?

dahat wrote: »
    Anyone got a set of W200 Garmin 520 friendly settings? I'd go mad if it dies near the end...

Bluetooth off
    Screen at 40%
    Backlight off????

Anything else I'm missing?

Get a garmin 200 instead :)
    Ridiculous those devices cant last long enough to do an event like that.

• Advertisement

They can! I've a 520 and get 10 hours out of it.

Nah, no fancy **** on a 200!
    I'll tweak it and turn off the bells n whistles and hope for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭bbolger

An extra 200 entries available...

http://www.wicklow200.ie/extra-entries/

So how many are doing it now... 3,000?

dahat wrote: »
    Nah, no fancy **** on a 200!
    I'll tweak it and turn off the bells n whistles and hope for the best.

That to me is a plus.
    Its nice to get away from all that nonsense when out on the bike imho.

That to me is a plus.
    Its nice to get away from all that nonsense when out on the bike imho.

This is true but I do like to look at some of the nonsense during a spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭DS2013

Can anyone tell me where the food stops are on the 200 route. Doing the 200 for the first time and need to try to work out where to stop and how much food to carry.

DS2013 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me where the food stops are on the 200 route. Doing the 200 for the first time and need to try to work out where to stop and how much food to carry.

Its a new route so God knows, and possibly the organisers too :P
    I think Rathangan (?) was the first main one, then Rathnew (?) previously.
    Im **** with place names.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Euro Fred

Not up yet, last year's are available but I'm not sure myself where they will be.

Someone has asked on their FB page so maybe that will give them a reminder to let people know.

Hopefully this year they don't run out of water like last year.......... Yes that happened at a water stop. They ran out of water

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭cjonesy1

Is there anything stopping you starting out very early if you've collected your number on Sat?
    I know some of the food stations might not be open, but other than that...?
    Not too worried about the 'official' time either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭lissard

Food: Baltinglass (90k) and Rathdrum (150)
    Water: Wicklow Gap and Sliamh Maan

That's what the old route had, can't see it changing.

Advertisement