Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow 200 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

lissard wrote: »
    Food: Baltinglass (90k) and Rathdrum (150)
    Water: Wicklow Gap and Sliamh Maan

That's what the old route had, can't see it changing.

For this year's route if the food stops are in the same place, Baltinglass will be after 75Km and Rathdrum at 140Km. It's 5Km earlier than last year's route for each stop based on my strava ride for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

dahat wrote: »
    This is true but I do like to look at some of the nonsense during a spin.

Ah its wicklow man, garden of ireland. Plenty to look at :D:P

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

Anyone got a set of W200 Garmin 520 friendly settings? I'd go mad if it dies near the end...

Bluetooth off
    Screen at 40%
    Backlight off????

Anything else I'm missing?

I did the MB200 at the weekend, was a bit worried the edge1000 battery wouldn't last and took the old 500 as back up. All told it was on for about 12 hours, all though I put it in standby at controls.

I turned off wifi and bluetooth and set it to just use GPS (not glonass as well). it had 9% left at the end of the day, I think the edge 500 had 38%. I'd have thought the 520 with a smaller screen would have q similiar battery life as the 1000, ie once you turn off BT & Wifi you'll be grand

I think I have the screen set to auto but I'd have to check that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

lissard wrote: »
    ....Water: Wicklow Gap and Sliamh Maan....
    Oh dear - can of worms opened there. Remember all the fuss last year about the lack of water at the top of Slieve Mann?

(As an aside, for anyone trying for a Strava PR on Slieve Mann, just be aware that the water stop (if there is one) is usually positioned before the end of the segment. So while you're farting about and yapping, the clock is still running.)

Crocked wrote: »
    I did the MB200 at the weekend...

...and took the old 500 as back up.

...I think the edge 500 had 38%....
    I cut it very fine on the MB. I also took the old Edge 500 as a back-up and it had only 2% battery remaining (albeit over 242k). 810 was long gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

07Lapierre wrote: »
    An extra 200 entries available...

http://www.wicklow200.ie/extra-entries/

with the new sign-on procedures it'll be almost impossible to sell unwanted entries. I wonder have the organisers allowed themselves a buffer of, say, 10% or so, who may not turn up, and sold an extra 300 entries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭ratracer

Is there anyone on here with anything even remotely positive to say about the event???

I'm travelling with a gang for the weekend. I know the 200 is gonna be hell, but I'll have enough of everything I need to get round, except maybe a cup of tea along the way, but I'm sure there will be plenty of places to get one on the way!!

ratracer wrote: »
    Is there anyone on here with anything even remotely positive to say about the event???

I'm travelling with a gang for the weekend. I know the 200 is gonna be hell, but I'll have enough of everything I need to get round, except maybe a cup of tea along the way, but I'm sure there will be plenty of places to get one on the way!!

I'd a great time at last year's event, which was my first attempt at it. Food stops were stocked with plenty of grub, there was water at top of the main climbs (at least when I got there) and I met some some nice people along the way (cyclists, marshalls and volunteers). Cyclists are a tough crowd to please, it'll be good on the day so don't worry about what you read on here. We're just cranky because we're not out on our bikes cycling :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

I'm travelling with a gang for the weekend. I know the 200 is gonna be hell, but I'll have enough of everything I need to get round, except maybe a cup of tea along the way,  but I'm sure there will be plenty of places to get one on the way!!
    Yeah, its in wicklow, one of the most beautiful places anywhere in the world imho.
    As sportives go, in terms of set-up and value for money, its not good and has got worse over the years, again just an honest opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

You'll enjoy it! It's a great route and despite all the moaning here, there will be 1,000's of others there on the day.

Enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I never get the moaning, it's not like it's obligatory to do it.

6th W200 for me - did my first one at 40! Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

YES!

Despite having reservations and constructive criticism ( which I passed on to the organisers) I have several good things to say.

Volunteers marshal the route. They spend very long hours and are held in high regard.

Volunteers at the stops likewise.

Route is challenging and scenic and there is always great atmosphere.

Being honest, my biggest nark is that the little details that do detract from an otherwise perfect sportive, would be so easily fixed that it is difficult to understand why they aren't addressed.

You should have a great day on the bike -almost everyone usually does.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

cajonlardo wrote: »
    YES!

Despite having reservations and constructive criticism ( which I passed on to the organisers) I have several good things to say.

Volunteers marshal the route. They spend very long hours and are held in high regard.

I thought every vet had to marshall. It's their big payday so not marshalling isn't an option.

Still, it's appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

1bryan wrote: »
    I thought every vet had to marshall. It's their big payday so not marshalling isn't an option.

Still, it's appreciated.

O.K. I tske it back so, they're all a shower of bollllllllixesss! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

ratracer wrote:

ratracer wrote:

It's in Wicklow! I live here and cycle around it most weekends on alot of the route, it's absolutely stunning. This is my first time doing this sportiff and I can't wait. Don't get people giving out about it there are plenty of other events in Wicklow that are much better value for money so I've been told so do them if you have done this before . As I say I'm paying to do routes I do all the time just looking forward to the buzz.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

Anyone got a set of W200 Garmin 520 friendly settings? I'd go mad if it dies near the end...

Bluetooth off
    Screen at 40%
    Backlight off????

Anything else I'm missing?
    You'll be absolutely fine. I did Mick Byrne 200 on Sunday with my 520 fully charged. 9 hours of cycling, 10 hours-ish turned on. Battery % was in the mid/high 30s at the end of it. I had bluetooth enabled and Livetrack on my phone was working at least 60% of the time. I wouldn't have the backlight on by default and screen brightness is whatever the default is.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

g0g wrote: »
    You'll be absolutely fine. I did Mick Byrne 200 on Sunday with my 520 fully charged. 9 hours of cycling, 10 hours-ish turned on. Battery % was in the mid/high 30s at the end of it. I had bluetooth enabled and Livetrack on my phone was working at least 60% of the time. I wouldn't have the backlight on by default and screen brightness is whatever the default is.

Good to hear, I don't use Livetrack so that's a plus.

1bryan wrote: »
    I thought every vet had to marshall. It's their big payday so not marshalling isn't an option...
    I'm not sure if it's still the case but when joining the IVCA, they used to give a 50% discount to the annual fee if you commit to marshaling on the WW200. Don't think there was an obligation to do it. Not sure if it's still the case.

Some more info released this evening: http://www.wicklow200.ie/2017-event-info/

...there's a medal :P

Fit number to handlebars? Hope it ain't a big ugly yolk...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭bbolger

Fit number to handlebars? Hope it ain't a big ugly yolk...

Just spotted that, what's all that about?
    Doesn't sound very aero ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭bbolger

Sounds like you can avoid the queues totally on the morning too.

"Once you have registered and your barcode has been scanned, you are ready to ride the event. Just fit the official bike number to your handlebars and go to the start line for the start on Sunday morning.

IF YOU HAVE SIGNED ON THE DAY BEFORE THE EVENT, YOU DO NOT NEED TO DO SO AGAIN ON THE MORNING OF THE EVENT. YOU CAN PROCEED TO THE START LINE WITH YOUR CHOSEN GROUP."

bbolger wrote: »

Pretty fugly if you ask me....

bbolger wrote: »
    Perhaps they've done a deal with a photographer like on many of the continental sportives. Unmanned cameras are set up at various points throughout the course and record images of each rider. These images are then automatically emailed to the participant (using their number) and they can choose to purchase. It works very well and the images are usually very professional.

Perhaps they've done a deal with a photographer like on many of the continental sportives. Unmanned cameras are set up at various points throughout the course and record images of each rider. These images are then automatically emailed to the participant (using their number) and they can choose to purchase. It works very well and the images are usually very professional.

Is it a fugly thing though?

Is it a fugly thing though?
    Not particularly - but can be a bit awkward with an out-front Garmin mount.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Are the cable ties long enough to fit around your stem or will it be a wrap it around your brake cables job?

Not particularly - but can be a bit awkward with an out-front Garmin mount.

That is a problem, think i'll have to modify mine. Going without will mean issues at food & water stops I assume?

May just pin it to my jersey altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

I guess they brought this in following the survey last year everybody was asking for a bloody great number out front to improve their experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Euro Fred

benneca1 wrote: »
    I guess they brought this in following the survey last year everybody was asking for a bloody great number out front to improve their experience.
    Great point, maybe after the survey last year this is what people want?

It's only next week so I'm looking forward to to it.

I think I might sneak down during the week to the climb that's not Slieve Mann and put up signs saying "Yes, this is Slieve Mann".

Advertisement