Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow 200 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

ratracer wrote: »
    Is there anyone on here with anything even remotely positive to say about the event???

I'm travelling with a gang for the weekend. I know the 200 is gonna be hell, but I'll have enough of everything I need to get round, except maybe a cup of tea along the way, but I'm sure there will be plenty of places to get one on the way!!

The scenery and the route is great. It's a tough sportive, a lot tougher than the ROK, so it's feels like an accomplishment. There are plenty of marshals. I've never had any problem with the food or water (although I certainly believe this was an issue some times). Tea and sandwiches and fruitcake are much appreciated, not to mention a bit of a sit down. There may be no gluten free option if that's an issue.

The atmosphere is great and if you've never done a big sportive before you should find it an amazing experience. They haven't done a mass start for years so there isn't quite the same buzz as you set off, however not everyone likes that and the mass start was judged to be not so good for traffic management. Even without the mass start you should be meeting tons of cyclists all day. You will certainly know you are in big event.

Atmosphere quality is a bit weather dependant. The very wet year (you know which one you are damn you) the atmosphere was more "Japanese prisoner of war forced march" than anything else but that was an exception. If the weather is miserable it can be a very, very, very tough cycle. It is usually sunny. Put on sun cream, 10 hours in the blazing sun will make the next couple of weeks pretty unpleasant if you don't.

The bar code scanning is pretty efficient at the start and end. The food stops could be faster to get in and out of. The place in Rathdrum is a bit of a bottle neck. I've seen better but I've seen worse. The food at the end has varied from burgers and chips one year (which were awesome) to a very poor pasta salad (a few years). Being able to get a hot shower afterwards in Shoreline was great but I don't know if they have that facility in the GAA club.

I think it's a great event and I think you and your group will have a great time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭easygoing39

2011,the 30th anniversary was the 200 from hell!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Euro Fred wrote: »
    I think I might sneak down during the week to the climb that's not Slieve Mann and put up signs saying "Yes, this is Slieve Mann".
    Just the one climb?
    HivemindXX wrote:
    Being able to get a hot shower afterwards in Shoreline was great but I don't know if they have that facility in the GAA club.
    The info says yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

6 years ago! Holy crap. It's clearly going to take a very long time for me to forget that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

Way too soon for an accurate forecast but YR saying 19.2mm of rain for the day!

https://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Leinster/County_Wicklow~2960935/long.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Statler wrote: »

Jaysus...if it's a horrid day I'll do the 100 but I'm hopeful of a decent day with a few showers at the most!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Vincenzo Nibbly

That's the day before no?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

That's the day before no?

Could well have been, it's updated now though so no sign of 19.2mm anymore, still looks like a crap day with 5.9mm of "heavy rain"... Never accurate this far out, I wouldn't pay much attention to a forecast until Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭lissard

Could well have been, it's updated now though so no sign of 19.2mm anymore, still looks like a crap day with 5.9mm of "heavy rain"... Never accurate this far out, I wouldn't pay much attention to a forecast until Tuesday.

The nervous energy people spend worrying about whether it rains or not is just wasted energy. Check the forecast the day before, that one will be accurate and you can make an educated decision on what to wear. Over the course of 8 hours there's always a good chance of some rain in Ireland at this time of year. As long as it's not cold, that's the main thing for me. Last year was wet for the first few hours and then warm for the rest of the day. I brought arm warmers and shoe covers, great at the start but I was cursing them going up Sliamh Maan. Think shorts, jersey and a light rain jacket is the optimal kit at this time of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭bbolger

Spent the day in Wicklow today on the bike taking in some of the climbs, last long spin before the event.

In the sunshine though Wicklow is beautiful, looking forward to experiencing it again with thousands of others next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

lissard wrote: »
    Think shorts, jersey and a light rain jacket is the optimal kit at this time of the year.
    Have my mistral lite ready to make its debut!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

Is it paying 60eur for the 100km a mad thing? I have never done it before. Does anyone have a discount code? :-) :-)

Most of you seem to be doing the 200km but for me I don't have the time or legs for the 200km so would have to be the 100km or nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Perhaps they've done a deal with a photographer like on many of the continental sportives. Unmanned cameras are set up at various points throughout the course and record images of each rider. These images are then automatically emailed to the participant (using their number) and they can choose to purchase. It works very well and the images are usually very professional.
    It took photographs a couple of years ago using three cameras and sent them a disk with about 2,000 images. They removed all photos with a car registration visible.
    They are looking for photographer volunteers this year. No thanks.

Changed a few things on my 520 before my club spin and got 120km(3.75hrs) with 77% battery remaining at the end so no problems on the 520 front at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Michael_Myers

dahat wrote: »
    Changed a few things on my 520 before my club spin and got 120km(3.75hrs) with 77% battery remaining at the end so no problems on the 520 front at least.

Maximizing Battery Life
    Decrease the backlight brightness or shorten the backlight timeout (Using the Backlight).
    Select the Smart recording interval (Data Recording Settings).
    Turn on the Auto Sleep feature (Using Auto Sleep).
    Turn off the Bluetooth wireless feature (Bluetooth® Settings).
    Select the GPS setting (Changing the Satellite Setting).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Maximizing Battery Life
    Decrease the backlight brightness or shorten the backlight timeout (Using the Backlight).
    Select the Smart recording interval (Data Recording Settings).
    Turn on the Auto Sleep feature (Using Auto Sleep).
    Turn off the Bluetooth wireless feature (Bluetooth? Settings).
    Select the GPS setting (Changing the Satellite Setting).
    I presume turning off all tones and alerts will help also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

I have got my marshalling point. At 158.5 km point.
    If anyone wants me to carry anything for them let me know.
    Food, drink, tubes, legs etc
    I will have a pump!
    I will only charge €1 per psi used*. Pretty reasonable I think!

*Thats a Boardsie rate btw.

koutoubia wrote: »
    I will have a pump!

I'll have a pair of strong legs please!

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Matt Bianco

I will have a pump!

How long are you posted there for - have been given a 6 1/2 hour slot which is a big increase on the 2 hours last year

How long are you posted there for - have been given a 6 1/2 hour slot which is a big increase on the 2 hours last year

From 07.45-13.45.
    A long stint.

• Advertisement

With a 25km avg over 200km that will give me 8hr timeframe to finish, I'm finding it hard to gauge a finish time with 3000m of climbing possibly. 8hrs is my mark at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭learn

http://www.weather-forecast.com/maps/Germany

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Just after mine. Koutoubia could you sign on for me - I'll probably see you around 20 to 2....

Beasty wrote: »
    Just after mine. Koutoubia could you sign on for me - I'll probably see you around 20 to 2....

There will be no signing on. Just a straight drive down the M1-M50-M11 and some selfies to prove I was there!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

There will be no signing on. Just a straight drive down the M1-M50-M11 and some selfies to prove I was there!
    OK - I'll be up to your place later in the week, if you can do a mock-up of the Rathdrum Food Station and make sure your phone is charged up I'll make sure I'm wearing some hi-viz and pointing somewhere.....

Beasty wrote: »
    OK - I'll be up to your place later in the week, if you can do a mock-up of the Rathdrum Food Station and make sure your phone is charged up I'll make sure I'm wearing some hi-viz and pointing somewhere.....
    The mock up is already done!
    The location of the photo has already been chosen (and its nowhere near Wicklow).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

From 07.45-13.45.
    A long stint.
    7.45??

Are they expecting some riders to have done 158k before 8am? I won't even have started!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Atom Ant

The mock up is already done!
    The location of the photo has already been chosen (and its nowhere near Wicklow).

New byelaw for Marshalls: All selfies must be geo tagged...;)

7.45??

Are they expecting some riders to have done 158k before 8am? I won't even have started!

I'm rolling out at 07.30 at this stage. Email said to head off at 7am for the 200km.

• Advertisement

7.45??

Its a good point!
    May email and see if its a typo.
    I really wouldnt expect to see anyone till well into late morning!

Advertisement