Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow 200 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

dahat wrote: »
    With a 25km avg over 200km that will give me 8hr timeframe to finish, I'm finding it hard to gauge a finish time with 3000m of climbing possibly. 8hrs is my mark at this stage.

Aimed for that last year and ended up at 23.5Km/hr for 8.5 hours. Defo a little stronger and lighter this year but the extra 500m of climbing has me dreaming for 25Km/hr but will be happy if I get the same average as last year.
    I'm rolling out at 07.30 at this stage. Email said to head off at 7am for the 200km.

I think if you've signed on the day before you can head on, I'll be rolling out at 6am at the very latest.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,787 ✭✭✭✭dahat

py wrote: »
    Aimed for that last year and ended up at 23.5Km/hr for 8.5 hours. Defo a little stronger and lighter this year but the extra 500m of climbing has me dreaming for 25Km/hr but will be happy if I get the same average as last year.

I think if you've signed on the day before you can head on, I'll be rolling out at 6am at the very latest.

6am seems savage early, I'm allowing 8hrs so 7.00-7.30 will be my aim. Think WA stated earlier if I head too early I'll miss the buzz around the place before the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

koutoubia wrote: »
    Its a good point!
    May email and see if its a typo.
    I really wouldnt expect to see anyone till well into late morning!
    My marshall point is also on teh WW100 route

6am seems savage early, I'm allowing 8hrs so 7.00-7.30 will be my aim. Think WA stated earlier if I head too early I'll miss the buzz around the place before the start.

If it's your first time on the WW200 then maybe leave it a bit later. I'm hoping to get to the Aviva later in the day for the match so the earlier I start then hopefully I won't miss some (or any) of it.

py wrote: »
    If it's your first time on the WW200 then maybe leave it a bit later. I'm hoping to get to the Aviva later in the day for the match so the earlier I start then hopefully I won't miss some (or any) of it.

Every reason to head off early then.

Will the elevation hit 3,000m for the day on the new route?
    I'd love one of those stem guides for the big climbs etc, those are hardly done by the organisers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I'd love one of those stem guides for the big climbs etc, those are hardly done by the organisers?

Work off that picture or this Strava version of the route.

The main climbs looking at it are The Old Long Hill, The Wicklow Gap, Sleive Mann and Shay Elliot. And the Elevation gain per Strava is 2,990m

https://www.strava.com/routes/8390491

tj04Qba.png

Inquitus wrote: »
    Work off that picture or this Strava version of the route.

The main climbs looking at it are The Old Long Hill, The Wicklow Gap, Sleive Mann and Shay Elliot. And the Elevation gain per Strava is 2,990m

https://www.strava.com/routes/8390491

tj04Qba.png

Thanks!
    I'll try make one in work tomorrow, early climb looks a test so near to the start.

I'd be inclined to include Carrignamweel (111Km - just before Slieve and Shay) and Conary (146KM - after a long day of climbing ~20% will be fun) on there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Doc07

Dahat,

If you are on your own, there will be a massive group of Orwell Wheelers (green&white gear) leaving at 730 so follow us if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

2011,the 30th anniversary was the 200 from hell!!!!

The worst weather I've ever experienced doing the W200, was that day.

My first W200 was in 2000 and the weather has generally been pretty good each year, except for the rainfall during 2011 staging.

You may get a shower or two during a distance 200kms. But there were many days when W200 was completely rain free.

• Advertisement

Doc07 wrote: »
    Dahat,

If you are on your own, there will be a massive group of Orwell Wheelers (green&white gear) leaving at 730 so follow us if you like.

Brilliant!!!
    I'll be wearing Slievenamon Cc gear.
    If you don't mind I think I'll jump in with ye and see how it goes, nice to have some company along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭bbolger

My Strava for last year has the 2016 route at 2,670m gained.
    Didn't realize the new route was actually closer to 3,000m now.

Will be looking for fast groups too in order to match/better last year's time with the added climbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

bbolger wrote: »
    .....Will be looking for fast groups too in order to match/better last year's time with the added climbing.
    Thinly veiled "my club mates are too slow" comment! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Thud

bbolger wrote: »
    My Strava for last year has the 2016 route at 2,670m gained.
    Didn't realize the new route was actually closer to 3,000m now.

Will be looking for fast groups too in order to match/better last year's time with the added climbing.

I find Strava Route planner always overestimates the meters climbed

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭bbolger

Thinly veiled "my club mates are too slow" comment! :D

Haha :)

I don't think there are that many racers from my club doing it this year.

It's not a race of course :rolleyes:

Ride with GPS has it at 2700m.. which would be great, that extra 300m is not all that appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

As seems to be tradition at this point my relatively light 10spd aluminium road bike has packed it in just before a big climbing event and I'll be showing up on my Croix De Fer with factory wheels...I put an 11-32 on this time.

I've got a Club League the Tuesday after W200 then Munster Road in Blarney on the Sunday, maybe I'm expecting my body to recover quickly after Sunday!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Brilliant!!!
    I'll be wearing Slievenamon Cc gear.
    If you don't mind I think I'll jump in with ye and see how it goes, nice to have some company along the way.

There is a good chance of confusion when you see how many Orwell people do this :D

You couldn't swipe sweat off your brow without hitting one of them!

Sound people, it has to be said.

There is a good chance of confusion when you see how many Orwell people do this :D

Haha!!
    I'll just jump in and say I'm from the internet, be grand sure!!!!

• Advertisement

They usually have a good number at most events to be fair, always welcoming and good for a chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Mikecraddock

Has anyone received their number yet or do we get it on the day?

Has anyone received their number yet or do we get it on the day?
    Check back a few posts - discussed at length. No numbers being posted out - collect at 2 locations on Saturday or before the event on Sunday. (You should have got an email with this info).

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Mikecraddock

Cheers mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

Just went to print out my form so I can collect my ticket on Saturday.

In case anyone from the IVCA is reading this. This form having a coloured background means I would have to cover an entire sheet of paper with ink. The full width "Powered by Eventmaster" in white text on a black background is particularly egregious. White background next time please. In fact other events manage without needing a signature and let you show the barcode or ticket number on your phone.

I plan to just snip out the relevant 25% and print that on white without all the logos and blue background and white on black text.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,975 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

HivemindXX wrote: »
    Just went to print out my form so I can collect my ticket on Saturday.

In case anyone from the IVCA is reading this. This form having a coloured background means I would have to cover an entire sheet of paper with ink. The full width "Powered by Eventmaster" in white text on a black background is particularly egregious. White background next time please. In fact other events manage without needing a signature and let you show the barcode or ticket number on your phone.

I plan to just snip out the relevant 25% and print that on white without all the logos and blue background and white on black text.

typical problem with most ticket sites - they make you print out an A4 of full colour ads when all you want is the barcode at the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭squa

This will be my first sportive & I'm looking forward to it. The only downside is that I'll be on my tod, but from reading back through this thread there shouldn't be a problem finding a couple of groups to tag along with (before I'm dropped & fall back to the next group)!

I'm hoping that naivety & plenty of gels fueled with adrenaline will get me through. The longest non-stop cycle I've done to date is 120km which included a spin over Mt Leinster.......took me about 5.5hrs with stops, so fully expect the W200 to take me around 8-10 hours.

Best of luck to everyone, should be a good day if the weather holds :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

squa wrote: »
    This will be my first sportive & I'm looking forward to it. The only downside is that I'll be on my tod, but from reading back through this thread there shouldn't be a problem finding a couple of groups to tag along with (before I'm dropped & fall back to the next group)!

I'm hoping that naivety & plenty of gels fueled with adrenaline will get me through. The longest non-stop cycle I've done to date is 120km which included a spin over Mt Leinster.......took me about 5.5hrs with stops, so fully expect the W200 to take me around 8-10 hours.

Start as early as possible and even if you drop back you should be able to find groups to tag along with all the way round. On the flatter sections a tow or two can really help get you round a lot quicker.

All credit to you choosing the W200 as your first Sportive.
    Hope the day goes well for ya.

• Advertisement

... & plenty of gels..
    Go easy on the gels. They can upset your stomach and too many may give you the runs - not what you need on your first sportive. Eat normal food.

Advertisement