Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow 200 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

squa wrote:
    This will be my first sportive & I'm looking forward to it.
    I did it last year as my first one - you'll be grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭squa

dahat wrote: »
    All credit to you choosing the W200 as your first Sportive.
    Hope the day goes well for ya.

I think the word you are looking for is "stupidity"!

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

the weather isn't shaping up to be too bad. The odd shower, maybe, but not looking like it will be as bad as feared. Set to be a bit breezy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,787 ✭✭✭✭dahat

1bryan wrote: »
    the weather isn't shaping up to be too bad. The odd shower, maybe, but not looking like it will be as bad as feared. Set to be a bit breezy though.

That looks a bit more than breezy to me. Not ideal at all tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

squa wrote: »
    This will be my first sportive & I'm looking forward to it. The only downside is that I'll be on my tod, but from reading back through this thread there shouldn't be a problem finding a couple of groups to tag along with (before I'm dropped & fall back to the next group)!

I'm hoping that naivety & plenty of gels fueled with adrenaline will get me through. The longest non-stop cycle I've done to date is 120km which included a spin over Mt Leinster.......took me about 5.5hrs with stops, so fully expect the W200 to take me around 8-10 hours.

Best of luck to everyone, should be a good day if the weather holds :)

There's really no need for gels on the WW200. As WA says, they can upset your stomach if you rely on them too much.

If you stop at both food stops, eat a sandwich or two at each and bring a banana in your back pocket for "snacking on" in between stops, you'll be fine.

I'd also suggest adding a High 5 tablet to your water (and bring a few tablets with you to add to any top ups).

• Advertisement

High 5 4:1, 2 bidons plus 4 more sachets,I always allow extra just in case.
    Bars & gels (used to them) with bananas as well. I'll grab some food at the stops but will be careful what I grab, things like white bread etc are a no no for me.
    Flahavans are doing a tasty range of flapjacks just now which are ideal for purpose, oats, slow release etc, well worth bringing a couple along.

Some tips for first timers on the 200k route.

Don't Forget:

1. Helmet.
    2. Gillet/rain jacket ( a small light jacket that fits in your pocket)
    3. TWO spare inner tubes
    4. Puncture repair kit.
    5. Multitool
    6. Mobile Phone
    7. Money

Check your kit on Saturday evening. I suggest you lay it all out the night before and pack everything in the pockets, attach your number to your jersey etc.

Check your bike today! - Make sure your tyres are in good condition. If your brake pads are worn, replace them (there's lots of climbing, which means there's also lots of descending too! If it's wet, you'll be amazed at how quickly brake pads will wear down over a 200k ride)

Marshals are there to provide direction ONLY. Dont assume junctions are clear! the WW200 is held on OPEN roads.
    Also...my pet hate is Litter! Wicklow is beautiful...Keep it that way!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

07Lapierre wrote: »

Don't Forget:

1. Helmet.
    3. TWO spare inner tubes
    4. Puncture repair kit.
    5. Multitool
    6. Mobile Phone
    7. Money

Check your kit on Saturday evening. I suggest you lay it all out the night before and pack everything in the pockets, attach your number to your jersey etc.

Check your bike today! - Make sure your tyres are in good condition. If your brake pads are worn, replace them (there's lots of climbing, which means there's also lots of descending too! If it's wet, you'll be amazed at how quickly brake pads will wear down over a 200k ride)

Marshals are there to provide direction ONLY. Dont assume junctions are clear! the WW200 is held on OPEN roads.
    Also...my pet hate is Litter! Wicklow is beautiful...Keep it that way!

Great Advice.
    I would add . Put a piece of an old tyre in your pack. Just in case of a blowout. Nothing worse than sitting on the side of the road with all you need for puncture repair but with a hole in your tyre. It will get you as far as the next footstep at least. If not all the way home.

Esroh wrote: »
    Great Advice.
    I would add . Put a piece of an old tyre in your pack. Just in case of a blowout. Nothing worse than sitting on the side of the road with all you need for puncture repair but with a hole in your tyre. It will get you as far as the next footstep at least. If not all the way home.

Better still...dont throw away your gel wrappers! the wrappers can be used to reinforce a torn tyre wall! ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Due to an ongoing chest infection that I can't shift, I'm going to reluctantly give the WW200 a miss this year. As such I've an entry going for anyone who might want it. Not looking for any money for it, but if you wanted to chuck a few bob to the Simon community I'm sure they'd appreciate it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Vincenzo Nibbly

dahat wrote: »
    That looks a bit more than breezy to me. Not ideal at all tbh

At least it's a southerly! We'll get pushed home a bit easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

smacl wrote: »
    Due to an ongoing chest infection that I can't shift, I'm going to reluctantly give the WW200 a miss this year. As such I've an entry going for anyone who might want it. Not looking for any money for it, but if you wanted to chuck a few bob to the Simon community I'm sure they'd appreciate it.

I'm in the same boat, hoping the antibiotics will have worked their magic by Sunday.

And gone. Hope you recover ok for it PaulieC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

And gone. Hope you recover ok for it PaulieC.

Thanks! Got some clif bars, should be grand (apart from the terrible preparation) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

07Lapierre wrote: »

Don't Forget:

1. Helmet.
    3. TWO spare inner tubes
    4. Puncture repair kit.
    5. Multitool
    6. Mobile Phone
    7. Money

Good list. For people that are driving and therefore wearing normal shoes, don't forget to bring your cycling shoes if you have clipless pedals. Luckily the person who I was with was able to buy new shoes (and new pedals) at the start location when this happened but it was an expensive error.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Atom Ant

Hi, My Girlfriend would like to go now as the weather promises to be good. I would like to take up your offer.:D

Atom Ant wrote: »
    Hi, My Girlfriend would like to go now as the weather promises to be good. I would like to take up your offer.:D

Sorry, but this has already gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭tc20

I've signed up for the 100, never done anything even close to this.
    I commute daily greystones to bray, so the last 20k should be a doddle :)

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

tc20 wrote:
    I've signed up for the 100, never done anything even close to this. I commute daily greystones to bray, so the last 20k should be a doddle

Its the first 20 that might sting. Good luck. My first ww 100 too can't wait.

Email sent out earlier detailed all the 200 spin climbs so will.edot this for a stem guide later.

BALLYMAN ROAD

Distance: 2.4km.

Start: 0.0km. End: 2.4km.

Min 21m. Max 107m

Elevation gain: 86m.

Max Grade: 6.7%. Avg Grade: 3.6%

THE OLD LONG HILL

Distance: 4.3km.

Start: 6.6 km. End: 10.9km.

Min: 82m Max: 319m

Elevation gain: 237m.

Max Grade: 11%. Avg Grade: 5.5%

WICKLOW GAP

Distance: 6.7km.

Start: 31.8 km End: 38.5km

Min: 143m Max: 472m

Elevation gain: 329m.

Max Grade: 9.3%. Avg Grade: 4.9%

HACKETSTOWN

Distance: 1.3km

Start: 88.7 km End: 89.9 km

Min: 127m Max: 186m

Elevation gain: 59m.

Max Grade: 6.2%. Avg Grade: 4.5%

CROSSBRIDGE to RATHMEAGUE

Distance: 4.9 km

Start: 97.3km End: 102.1km

Min: 124m Max: 223m

Elevation gain: 99m.

Max Grade: 4.2%. Avg Grade: 2.0%

UP TO MULLAN X

Distance: 0.9km.

Start: 106.6km End: 107.5km

Min: 188m Max: 240m

Elevation gain: 52m.

Max Grade 5.1%. Avg Grade: 4.4%

AFTER MULLAN X

Distance: 3.5km

Start: 108.5km End: 112.0km

Min: 204m Max: 311m

Elevation gain: 107m.

Max Grade 7.2%. Avg Grade 3.1%

SLIEVE MAAN

Distance: 3.3km

Start: 115.1km End: 118.4km

Min: 198m Max: 456m

Elevation gain: 258m.

Max Grade: 13.0%. Avg Grade: 7.8%

GLENMALURE

Distance: 3.1km

Start: 122.8km End: 125.9km

Min: 127m Max: 383m

Elevation gain: 256m

Max Grade: 11.9%. Avg Grade: 8.3%

MEETING OF THE WATERS

Distance: 0.8km

Start: 146.6km End: 147.4km

Min: 46m Max: 115m

Elevation gain: 69m

Max Grade: 10.3%. Avg Grade: 8.6%

KILMACURRAGH

Distance: 2.1km

Start: 151.0km End: 153.1km

Min: 119m Max: 187m

Elevation gain: 68m

Max Grade: 4.1%. Avg Grade: 3.2%

KILMANOGUE

Distance: 1.5km

Start: 156.7km End: 158.1km

Min: 56m Max: 93m

Elevation gain: 37m

Max Grade: 3.7%. Avg Grade: 2.5%

WINDGATES

Distance: 1.7km

Start: 186.7km End: 188.4km

Min: 38m Max: 127m

Elevation gain: 89m.

Max Grade: 6.3%. Avg Grade: 5.2%

KILRUDDERY

Distance: 1.2km

Start: 191.2km End: 192.4km

Min: 46m Max: 71m

Elevation gain: 25m.

Max Grade: 3.3%. Avg Grade: 2.1%

ENNISKERRY

Distance: 3.3km

Start: 193.9km End: 197.1km

Min: 29m Max: 120m

Elevation gain: 91m.

Max Grade: 7.5%. Avg Grade: 2.8%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭tc20

Its the first 20 that might sting. Good luck. My first ww 100 too can't wait.

I went for a bit of a test run the week before last (in the lashings of rain) up to Roundwood. I had a 1 minute stop on the old long hill for a breather, but other than that it was ok. I've never made so many gear changes in my life, or even used the small ring in earnest :D

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Atom Ant

Sorry, but this has already gone.

It was a very generous offer. A few antibiotics you maybe recover do the 100. love to say hello. I am like an Owl on the weather. Got to love a couple thousand cyclists
    what promises to be good weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Euro Fred

tc20 wrote: »
    I went for a bit of a test run the week before last (in the lashings of rain) up to Roundwood. I had a 1 minute stop on the old long hill for a breather, but other than that it was ok. I've never made so many gear changes in my life, or even used the small ring in earnest :D

I ALWAYS underestimated the Old Long Hill, I have no idea why but lesson learnt from the MB200

Atom Ant wrote: »
    It was a very generous offer. A few antibiotics you maybe recover do the 100. love to say hello. I am like an Owl on the weather. Got to love a couple thousand cyclists
    what promises to be good weather.

Not happening for me this weekend, lost my voice and living off cough syrup and lemsips. Will catch another 200k over the summer / autumn instead. Enjoy your spin on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭squa

Not happening for me this weekend, lost my voice and living off cough syrup and lemsips. Will catch another 200k over the summer / autumn instead. Enjoy your spin on the day.

If you are feeling up to it on the day you can come give me a push over Slieve Maan :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28 cathmhaoil1

On the water/food stops, do they have gels etc. Can't remember if I seen this in another post. Good to know so to bring enough gels

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

On the water/food stops, do they have gels etc. Can't remember if I seen this in another post. Good to know so to bring enough gels

Not from memory, normally sandwiches / biscuits / fruit cake etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

no, though you might get one at the top of Slieve Maan if the powerbar stop is there (no guarantees).

no, though you might get one at the top of Slieve Maan if the powerbar stop is there (no guarantees).

Cheers for that.

• Advertisement

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Not from memory, normally sandwiches / biscuits / fruit cake etc.

The usual stuff. No harm. Cheers for reply

Advertisement