Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow 200 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,787 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Forecast is still set for very very breezy weather Sunday, will be very tricky on exposed areas and while descending at speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭blackvalley

dahat wrote: »
    Forecast is still set for very very breezy weather Sunday, will be very tricky on exposed areas and while descending at speed.

Then I am sure just like mature responsible cyclists we will descend at a speed appropriate to the prevailing conditions. ;)

Then I am sure just like mature responsible cyclists we will descend at a speed appropriate to the prevailing conditions. ;)

Indeed we will apply due care and attention...

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Michael_Myers

Would a Gabba be too hot for the ww200?
    Bought one during the week but haven't tried it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Techo

Good luck to one and all....unfortunately won't be joining ye :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

I would think yes but all depends on how hard you ride and how hot your upper body gets. Hard question to answer right....good luck this Sunday!

I'm likely wearing a under armour LS top, cold gear as descending at speed off a breezy mountain one could get a chill quickly. I'll likely overheat and be less breathable with a gillet on all day.
    The likely strong breeze will cool down the body as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭lissard

I wore mine in the Orwell Randonee and it was just perfect, temp was a lot colder though (10C). Would recommend normal summer gear with armwarmers / gillet combo to cover if gets cold/wet.

Bear in mind, whatever you stick in your pocket you are carrying for 200k! Makes sense for it to be light.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I'd say so. Weather forecast is saying it's showery but relatively warm.

https://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Leinster/Dublin/

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Einstein?

I'm in. The 200 that is...

We're in this together boys!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I've moved a couple of posts to the relevant thread in Cycling Adverts. No requests for or offers of places allowed in the main forum - please see the forum charter for details

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

And the deer on the side of sliabh maan will heed the rules of the road and not go lepping around the place like they were auditioning for a remake of frogger :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Was going packable but now because of having to travel later to a removal I think I'll be doing the 100 instead, so back having the gabba (well mistral lite) debate now I won't have the long climbs and will be aiming for a morning finish...

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Was going packable but now because of having to travel later to a removal I think I'll be doing the 100 instead, so back having the gabba (well mistral lite) debate now I won't have the long climbs and will be aiming for a morning finish...

I am doing the 100km too. What time are you aiming for?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

If you're just doing the 100k, judging by the forecasted temps at the halfway point in Laragh, you'll be golden in the Mistral Lite.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Galego wrote:
    Be aiming for 4 hours max really, as that's what I'd do for club spins plus solo commute to and from the meeting point.

Registrstion done so no going back now!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Smoothrider

Does anyone know what the story is tomorrow re starting? In previous years the organisers justified the entry on the basis that this was a carded and timed event. You were scanned at the start and the finish and showed your card at the feed stations.

This year there appears to be no card, I was just given a goody bag at the registration (with the absence of any goodies at all being quite conspicuous).

So is it just a 'self start' post registration now and how do they know people have done the circuit at the end if there's no card?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Galego wrote: »

Also in for the 100 (well it'll be 150 when you factor getting there and back in). Aiming for a start about 7:30 getting it done in about 4.5 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

Does anyone know what the story is tomorrow re starting? In previous years the organisers justified the entry on the basis that this was a carded and timed event. You were scanned at the start and the finish and showed your card at the feed stations.

This year there appears to be no card, I was just given a goody bag at the registration (with the absence of any goodies at all being quite conspicuous).

So is it just a 'self start' post registration now and how do they know people have done the circuit at the end if there's no card?

I presume they'll scan the QR code on the number?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

Just registered and enquired about the start. No electronic timing but doubt if "race" numbers will be scanned - it couldn't be accurate with the volumes of cyclists. Maybe it's all down to honesty - with yourself ;)

There was a water bottle in the goody bag and a handy distance marker to cut out for the top tube.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Gerry

Doing the 200. Is there a boards.ie crew starting at 7 then?

route66 wrote: »
    Just registered and enquired about the start. No electronic timing but doubt if "race" number will be scanned - it couldn't be accurate. Maybe it's all down to honesty - with yourself.
    There was a water bottle in the goody bag and a handy distance marker to cut out for the top tube.

Never got the top tube marker which would be handy.

Can you pin the never to the jersey instead of the bike as I have an outfront mount.

P_1 wrote: »
    Also in for the 100 (well it'll be 150 when you factor getting there and back in). Aiming for a start about 7:30 getting it done in about 4.5 hours.

Will there be many people steating the 100km before 8.00?

Aiming at 4 hours. I think that would be an average of 26km/hr

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

What a miserable goodie bag - one tacky 750ml bottle and some junk mail.

Agreed, pretty poor effort really.

dahat wrote: »
    Never got the top tube marker which would be handy.

I got this with my race number @ the registration desk - it wasn't in the goody bag. You have to cut it out but it's worth it - it shows all the major climbs.

Just found out: If you didn't get one, it's available from the ww200 website: http://www.wicklow200.ie/wp-content/uploads/W200StemGuides.pdf

Mostly agree, but before you throw it all out, there is a ?20 off voucher for the Cycle Superstore (?50 min spend) which I might use.

The bootle looks ok - if you are going to use it tomorrow, rinse it out well beforehand to get rid of the plastic pong.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

free cup of coffee though so not all bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭ofthelord

Just registered in bray. Going to attempt the 100km route tomorrow - looking forward to it now!
    Hoping to get around in 4 hours - we'll see tomorrow if this is wishful thinking on my part or not. I have gotten in a lot of hills on my cycles the last few months - moving to Wicklow last year has had its benefits for my cycling endurance. Going to try and start around 7:30am.
    Good luck everyone..

Advertisement