Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow 200 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Galego wrote: »
    Will there be many people steating the 100km before 8.00?

Aiming at 4 hours. I think that would be an average of 26km/hr

I'm not too sure tbh. I'm planning on leaving my house at 6 and Bray is a solid 20k away from me. Hopefully I won't get caught up too much with the serious folk heading off as hills are definitely not my strength. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

There was also a €20 voucher for Aidan Hammond's bike fit service which I used a few years ago and found to be excellent. The orange bag counts as goodie too as far as I'm concerned, I'll find a use for that.

Some people are hard to please.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,787 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I'm heading off at 7-00- 7 30 as I'll likely get lost getting from hotel to GAA centre!!!
    #2405, feel free to say hello if anyone passes me by.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

What a miserable goodie bag - one tacky 750ml bottle and some junk mail.

Agreed.

Bag will be used, as will the CSS voucher. The rest of the flyers went straight in the bin. Not even sure I'll use the bottle... that'll be the last of my cynicism for this year's event! :pac:

Best of luck to everyone tomorrow, it's a cracking ride so enjoy every minute. If you bring bars/gels with you, bring the wrappers to the next food stop, please don't litter this beautiful area of Ireland. Keep the pace steady after the first food stop as the back to back to back climbs before Rathdrum is a tough stretch with 100Km+ in the legs.

For the attire question. I'll be sticking with bib shorts, short sleeve jersey and short sleeve base layer. Still deciding whether I'll include overshoes in that setup. It's still going to be warm doing the 200 and I cooked a little last year with a short sleeved gabba. I'll bring the rain cape in the pocked should the wind get too much, it's helped out in this regard before. Looks like we may escape most of the rain.

In relation to the number, I've just wrapped it around the head tube using the cable ties provided.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭bbolger

Just registered in Bray.
    There's no official sign on in the morn, just roll out about 7 seems to be the message if doing the 200.

They'll scan your card only when you finish so no official timing, but most people take their Garmin rolling times as their official time anyway.

No scanning required at food stops either.
    Might pin the 'non-aero' card/number to my jersey.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

bbolger wrote: »
    Don't worry - I'll be somewhere around the circuit and will report back if you don't pass me.

bbolger wrote: »
    Just registered in Bray.
    There's no official sign on in the morn, just roll out about 7 seems to be the message if doing the 200.

They'll scan your card only when you finish so no official timing, but most people take their Garmin rolling times as their official time anyway.

Might pin the 'non-aero' card/number to my jersey.

To the jersey it is then for me as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭aimnburn

dahat wrote: »
    To the jersey it is then for me as well.

Jersey pocket for me. Too akward to go on head tube and I don't want to stick pins in my jersey!! Can't see it being an issue of they only scan it at the end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

py wrote: »
    Agreed.

Bag will be used, as will the CSS voucher. The rest of the flyers went straight in the bin. Not even sure I'll use the bottle... that'll be the last of my cynicism for this year's event! :pac:

Best of luck to everyone tomorrow, it's a cracking ride so enjoy every minute. If you bring bars/gels with you, bring the wrappers to the next food stop, please don't litter this beautiful area of Ireland. Keep the pace steady after the first food stop as the back to back to back climbs before Rathdrum is a tough stretch with 100Km+ in the legs.

For the attire question. I'll be sticking with bib shorts, short sleeve jersey and short sleeve base layer. Still deciding whether I'll include overshoes in that setup. It's still going to be warm doing the 200 and I cooked a little last year with a short sleeved gabba. I'll bring the rain cape in the pocked should the wind get too much, it's helped out in this regard before. Looks like we may escape most of the rain.

In fairness theres a few discount vouchers. I thought the signing on in cycle superstore worked well, so hats off on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Einstein?

Would a long sleeve winter-ee jersey for tomorrow be good? No baselayers or anything else

Tempted by a mesh baselayer as I'm.down in Bray since early doors and it was very warm here all day. I'll have a gillet as back up if things get chilly up high or descending.

Also I bloody hate saddle bags, been months since I use one. Managed to squeeze, two tubes, pump, 2 levers, multi tool plus 2 small Aldi Fruit bars in it. Awful looking on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Best of luck of tomorrow lads and girls. Looking forward to reading the reports tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Euro Fred

Also I bloody hate saddle bags, been months since I use one. Managed to squeeze, two tubes, pump, 2 levers, multi tool plus 2 small Aldi Fruit bars in it. Awful looking on the bike.

All a matter of opinion, not arguing we could get a 50 page thread out of it, but I don't like my back pockets rammed full of stuff. So saddle bags get a thumbs up from me.

But I am a kinda "prefer to be looking at it than looking for it" person. I bring back food from 200k rides ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Saddlebags have weight, as do phone covers, excess keys etc.

Ditch them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Ditch them all.

What if you're already a tank riding a tank 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I prefer a neat saddle bag. Spare tubes and tyre levers always attached to the bike - no chance of forgetting them.

Best of luck to all Boardsies on the WW100 & 200 tomorrow.

Ditch them all.

Multi tool is pretty heavy and likely to be dumped I'd say.
    Only key I'll have is a hotel key but my food stack is pretty loaded and I'm wondering is it too much....5 bars, 2 bananas plus 4 gels with one Caffeine added to 3 High 5 4:1 sachets, Overkill???? I think so!!!!

terrydel wrote: »
    In fairness theres a few discount vouchers. I thought the signing on in cycle superstore worked well, so hats off on that.

Agreed, it worked well. I was in and out in a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

Multi tool is pretty heavy and likely to be dumped I'd say.
    Only key I'll have is a hotel key but my food stack is pretty loaded and I'm wondering is it too much....5 bars, 2 bananas plus 4 gels with one Caffeine added to 3 High 5 4:1 sachets, Overkill???? I think so!!!!

I think so too, there are shops in Wicklow.......

If I see you dahat I'll give you a shout, best of luck to all boardsies tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭AmboMan

I'm in the pub so at least the first 100k should be a breeze !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭ratracer

I hate stupid o'clock for getting up to cycle!! But hey, it's a blue sky out there, sure what's 200km on a day like today.....

Good luck all, enjoy the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Have to say that was great! Cracking weather and very well organised. Got the 100 done in 4:15 so quite happy with the time too.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1031462466

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭lissard

Only did the 100 this year and enjoyed it. Think we had the best of the weather, beautiful and warm. There were some torrential showers when I got home, feel sorry for the poor W200 participants caught out in it. Pretty chaotic traffic at the start with the new venue, I was happy I cycled down. True to their word the organizers did indeed increase the parking. All but the match pitch in Emmets had cars on it. It's far better as a finishing venue, feels more like a proper event. Other thoughts were that the windgates and monastery road climbs were pretty painful coming so late in the course, God only knows how they feel with 190k in the legs. Anyway, all in all a good day and hat tip to the IVCA for upping their game.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

Did my first 100 and got away with it weather wise. Windgates and the last climb didn't bother me too much but the climb out of enniskerry at the start and the old hill were a killer at the start I struggled a bit with it . I really enjoyed it as whole so well done to everyone involved

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Left Skerries at 4.25am intending to do a 300+ but buckled my front wheel and had to abandon in Hollywood with just 106k done. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭AmboMan

A great event & challenging day out, many thanks to all those involved in organising and working on the day of the event.

Job done, 7hrs 33 in the saddle at avg of 26.6km, crept over the 3k elevation.

First 100km was tough as weather was messy and as I went with gillet n summer gear so got wet then dry then wet and dry then wet then dry then sunburnt in 2nd 100km!!!!

Climbs were tough but I just settled and got there without blowing up too much, one or two after the last food stop hurt which was to be expected really.
    Did the last 50/60km with a lad from Usher and a few others who were afraid to do turns, usual Sportive carry-on. So the lad from Usher and I just hit a tempo and came home together, lovely chap and thanks for the company which helped me get home when the left groin cramped once or twice.

Food stops were perfect and no complaints but the marshalls today we're top drawer and said thanks to as many as I could when I passed, well done to all involved, made the day safe with tips and advice regarding descents and surface.

Staying in Bray tonight and I'm getting a Chinese somewhere!!! I deserve it.....

7.38 for the 200. averaging 26.4kmph, half hour quicker than previous best so happy with that. New route and personally I think its tougher especially the laast 10km or so, some horrible climbs there.
    Weather the first hour was ****e. Not too bad after apart from the odd shower. Wind was for and against at times, but when it was for it was great to be honest. Glad to get into a group from hollywood to baltinglass as it was a headwind and would have been murder solo. Was a strong group so at times I was hanging on a bit. Got up slieve mann pretty well, only overtaken by a girl in a gran fondo NI jersey, she was a savage climber. Struggled up Shay Elliott but again she was the only one to overtake me! Class cyclist in fairness.
    Stopped at small water stop with 25 to go, I was seriously hungry and not far of the bonk I think, so savaged a dairy milk turkisk delight, one of the free nature valley bars and a can of coke. Ate like a wild animal! It made a difference and without it I think I'd have fallen over the finish line. Probably need to focus on eating more on these things. Food stops were good, tea and coffee as always, sambos as well. Few bananas or jellies like in the past would have been nice tho.
    Worst part of the day was seeing two very bad crashes, first one the guy was being fitted with a neck brace, but to my quick summation he looked like he wasnt critical. Second one was withing a few km of the finish and it didnt look good. At that stage I felt a bit emotional seeing that, what with the mental and physical tiredness of the day and the fact that poor person was doing what I was doing and just about to finish what is a great achievement for anybody. Thoughts are with those two people now and hoping they are ok.
    Enjoyed the day a bit more than last weekends Gran Fondo NI which to be honest just felt like a chore, more down to personal stuff such as work stress, general burnout this summer and a drreadful nights sleep the night before.
    Not sure next summer if I will bother with cycles of the magnitude of the W200, certainly in terms of distance, its took a lot out of me this year training for these and Im quite frankly wrecked from it. Next year will involve a lot more moderation, because since early May Ive stopped enjoying it and that should never happen, otherwise what is the point.
    Godd event today, theyve undoubtedly found a tough and challenging new route. Interested to hear what others thought about the route in comparison to the previous incarnation. Deffo a bit tougher for me!

• Advertisement

Job done, 7hrs 33 in the saddle at avg of 26.6km, crept over the 3k elevation.

First 100km was tough as weather was messy and as I went with gillet n summer gear so got wet then dry then wet and dry then wet then dry then sunburnt in 2nd 100km!!!!

Climbs were tough but I just settled and got there without blowing up too much, one or two after the last food stop hurt which was to be expected really.
    Did the last 50/60km with a lad from Usher and a few others who were afraid to do turns, usual Sportive carry-on. So the lad from Usher and I just hit a temporary and came home together, lovely chap and thanks for the company which helped me get home when the left groin cramped once or twice.

Food stops were perfect and no complaints but the marshalls today we're top drawer and said thanks to as many as I could when I passed, well done to all involved, made the day safe with tips and advice regarding descents and surface.

Staying in Bray tonight and I'm getting a Chinese somewhere!!! I deserve it.....

A chinese? Whats her name :P

Advertisement