Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow 200 2017

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

ted1 wrote: »
    Using my km in 84 was very progressive. Was cycling always in km?
    Don't think the WW124mls483yds has the same ring to it.....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Beasty wrote: »
    ted1 wrote: »
    Using my km in 84 was very progressive. Was cycling always in km?
    Don't think the WW124mls483yds has the same ring to it.....

Ill do it and donate 100 to ssf if beasty rides it with me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

And as I've already said people don't have to do it. In my experience some people will whinge and moan even if something is free and the WW 200 seems to get more than its fair share.

People are entitled to their opinion, just because they dont kiss the events arse doesnt mean they are whinging or moaning, having paid to do it numerous times I think that more than qualifies me to have an opinion, and Im not obliged to say nice things about it if I dont think they are deserving.
    And I was totally of the impression I was under orders to do it for evermore til you said we dont have to do it. :rolleyes:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

RobFowl wrote: »
    Ill do it and donate 100 to ssf if beasty rides it with me :)
    Alas I'm due to be flying out to San Francisco on business that weekend

EDIT ...and I'm better suited to 200m nowadays
    (That's metres, not miles!)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭cjonesy1

terrydel wrote: »
    People are entitled to their opinion, just because they dont kiss the events arse doesnt mean they are whinging or moaning, having paid to do it numerous times I think that more than qualifies me to have an opinion, and Im not obliged to say nice things about it if I dont think they are deserving.
    And I was totally of the impression I was under orders to do it for evermore til you said we dont have to do it. :rolleyes:

Good to have your input but I'd say you're best off avoiding this thread if you're not doing it this year. You're not going to gain anything from it. :)

Going to give this a lash this year. Never tried it before.

• Advertisement

cjonesy1 wrote: »
    Good to have your input but I'd say you're best off avoiding this thread if you're not doing it this year. You're not going to gain anything from it. :)

Its a lovely route so hope you enjoy it if you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

At the moment I'm planned for work that date. If I can get holiday or a swap I might just give it a go as I've not done it before

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

cjonesy1 wrote: »

Good luck to you.

Anyone riding it will benefit from several changes that resulted from people's constructive criticism and input to the survey and the online discussions.

If everyone toed the line and pretended there was no way the event could be improved then you would have most likely seen an even further decline in services this year. Like I said earlier, good to see the organisers were serious about their survey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

Gonna do it, but jaysus that's an irritating sign up site - €3.50 booking fee, and a "tick here to opt in to updates about future events" tick box, but it's a compulsory field so you can't complete the order unless you opt in!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

AltAccount wrote: »
    ... and a "tick here to opt in to updates about future events" tick box, but it's a compulsory field so you can't complete the order unless you opt in!
    Found that irritating also. I always untick those boxes but I couldn't progress without ticking it again. One for the IVCA to have a look at. (It may be an unintentional glitch).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Techo

What level would you need to be at to complete this at a reasonable pace? Only started cycling in Feb and did 7 events, last being the ROK. Did the 100k LapDeGaps which was manageable in 5hrs but don't know about the 200k.Just started training for next years events. Pace at the mo is hovering around 25km/h solo but hope to make some progress in the coming months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Doc07

Techo wrote: »
    What level would you need to be at to complete this at a reasonable pace? Only started cycling in Feb and did 7 events, last being the ROK. Did the 100k LapDeGaps which was manageable in 5hrs but don't know about the 200k.Just started training for next years events. Pace at the mo is hovering around 25km/h solo but hope to make some progress in the coming months.

You're ready, just keep up the cycling in the meantime. You have already done more than I had before I did it for first time. I've only done it twice and highly recommend it.
    I would have been similar pace on solo spins as you. I had recently joined a club and group spins in the few months before certainly helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Currently hovering about the 21/22 kmh mark in solo spins but got up to 25/26 kmh last summer during the sportive season. This seems like a nice target to aim for. Now it's about working out if this or Graspop will sell out first in terms of paying for it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

P_1 wrote: »
    Currently hovering about the 21/22 kmh mark in solo spins but got up to 25/26 kmh last summer during the sportive season. This seems like a nice target to aim for. Now it's about working out if this or Graspop will sell out first in terms of paying for it

Similar enough speed for solo spins with a bit of climbing, though the WW200 usually takes be around 10 hours start to finish. As others have said, all very doable once you take a relaxed pace. Have done six of the last eight and will probably go again this year as its good encouragement to get the mileage up in the early Spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

You'll be fine. Try to build some hill training in, and keep doing what you're doing. Then it is all about eating/drinking regularly on the way around, and ideally joining up with a group to share the load, in parts at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

You'll be fine with those stats. It's 4 x 50KM spins in one day, with some climbing. Just approach it with the thought that you want to complete it, don't be setting goals.

It's a feat in itself to complete it. You get quite the warm fuzzy feeling too when you do. :o

I'm a disaster and I have managed it twice, at my own pace.

It's good craic too btw.

If you are into moaning like a be_atch, there will be loads of reciprocal people on the way :)

Make a whole day of it, don't worry about time, just get it completed!

My tip would be to drop every unnecessary "gram" on the day, I'm talking phone cover, excess keys etc.

#marginalgains

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

Did my first last year with a good club manager! Only for him I'd have probably burnt out chasing the skinny lads up the killmac long hill.

Take your time, Eat and drink your way around and you will enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I did it last year as my first sportive. It's doable really, just take your time. I knew about the sting in the tail after Rathdrum as club spins would often be around there, so was prepared for that. The few hills on the run in to Slieve Maan, and then Slieve Maan itself was my period of struggling (under fueled/ hydrated for that stretch). I'd done Slieve Maan a few times in the run up, but always from Aughrim... Recovered by Shay, and then home roads from there to Greystones.

So my top tips for the day would be to try and get in groups on the flats (particularly Hollywood down to Balto), fuel up well in Baltinglass, and remember the climbing isn't over in Rathdrum!

I also found it handy to have done the main climbs before hand - I didn't know the hills in the run in to Slieve Maan, but at least I wasn't one of those that had the crushing disappointment of being told "no, this isn't Slieve Maan"!

Different goals next year, but that's probably the only reason I'm not planning on being back tbh.

You'll be grand if you train up to 140-150 at least a couple of times beforehand, assuming its hilly in the same mannr as the W200. LapdeGaps is a lot shorter but its a toughie imho, and Ive found W200 quite easy at times.
    Pace of 25kmph means nothing tho, without specifying the type of terrain.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I also found it handy to have done the main climbs before hand - I didn't know the hills in the run in to Slieve Maan, but at least I wasn't one of those that had the crushing disappointment of being told "no, this isn't Slieve Maan"!

Different goals next year, but that's probably the only reason I'm not planning on being back tbh.

This is great advice, particularly the bold part. I think anyone who has ever done the WW200 Slieve Mann route, on their first time will have been told this very disheartening news....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

This is great advice, particularly the bold part. I think anyone who has ever done the WW200 Slieve Mann route, on their first time will have been told this very disheartening news....
    Same pair asked us on each of the three smaller hills on the run in to Slieve Maan last year!

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Same pair asked us on each of the three smaller hills on the run in to Slieve Maan last year!

I did the same when I did it, one of them in particular is harder than the main event in many ways, the fact you know you're suffering a little and you're not even on the actual climb yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭bedirect

I may be mistaken, but I thought I paid €35 last year to enter this event.
    €50 is definitely excessive. It is a good event so I'll probably pay it anyway but this could be the last. I always paid other years as I had no problem supporting the veterans cyclists association. Now it seems this price increase is taking advantage of all the regular participants. I it will be interesting to see how it will affect entries. I anticipate the groups of cyclists that don't pay at all and feed themselves at the local Centras will increase. I have recommended this event to people in the past but I could not do this at this price.
    The Innishowen 100, Tour of Innishowen, Tour of Dromara, are just as challenging and are now half this price.
    One tour that is definitely as good, is the Giants Causeway Sportif.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Entry to 2016 was 40 Euro up to Apr 11th and 45 Euro up to the close in May 16th.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

bedirect wrote: »
    .... I have recommended this event to people in the past but I could not do this at this price.
    The Innishowen 100, Tour of Innishowen, Tour of Dromara, are just as challenging and are now half this price.
    One tour that is definitely as good, is the Giants Causeway Sportif.
    While they may be half the price, it would be a lot more expensive for many people to do them as they would require accommodation etc.

I'm open to correction but I'd say most people doing the WW200 travel there and back on the same day.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Euro Fred

While they may be half the price, it would be a lot more expensive for many people to do them as they would require accommodation etc.

I'm open to correction but I'd say most people doing the WW200 travel there and back on the same day.
    True, I find driving to and from sportives a pain.

Cycled to and from last year's WW200 making it a 300km day.

Do the same with the Orwell Randonee & Mick Byrne.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,787 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Is there accomandtion nearby as I will be traveling quite a bit and would like to head there on the Friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Euro Fred wrote: »
    Cycled to and from last year's WW200 making it a 300km day.

Do the same with the Orwell Randonee & Mick Byrne.

You sound like WA's doppleganger. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

crosstownk wrote: »
    You sound like WA's doppleganger. :pac:

Not unless Fred went over Howth on the way home...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭clod71

I've never done the Wicklow 200, I would love to...

Advertisement