Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow 200 2017

Options
1141516171820»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,787 ✭✭✭✭dahat

On reflection I think I'll do.ot next year but hopefully be 7-8kgs lighter and a better climber.
    Legs are good today and about to hit the turbo for an hour in prep for a club league race in Tipp tomorrow night.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

1bryan wrote: »
    I wouldn't second guess what caused the above 2 accidents, but, as when something happens in the cycling community, I'm sure word spreads among the motorcycling community when there's an incident. I know the video is from 2010 but I'd sincerely hope people would have more cop on.
    Watched the video now. On the bike boards they're really trying to say two a breast and rlj is equivalent to that carry on. A pedestrian or cyclist wouldn't stand a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Couldn't make even the 100 in the end. Very hard to hear and see the crowd passing Sunday morning - definitely raw, despite the wind and rain.

I'll be more inclined to give it another go next year after having to be talking into going back, but my club mates were less than impressed with foodstops this time, so who knows...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Seadin

Bad day out at ww200 with the weather. It rained on all the climbs if I remember correctly. There would be sparticular views in the fine weather I can imagine. Marshalling was good except for the end when there were less marshalls at the busy roundabouts. The selection of food at the stops a bit disappointing with just sandwiches. For such a long distance event it would be nice to have other alternatives on offer. Also having to pay for a hot coffee and some treats on top of that shay elliott climb i thought was a bit much. Goody bags just had a water bottle and a mix of flyers not really that impressive. I am delighted to have done it and ticked off the list but I think I wouldn't be back in a hurry to do the 200 again.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭blackvalley

Great event once again. Despite my original doubts I thought the Start / finish venue worked out well. Thought that the changes to the course made it a tougher event than past few years (maybe that’s age catching up) Marshalling was excellent although I agree with a previous poster who suggested that some more signage at the roundabouts towards the finish would be helpful.
    If I was to make any suggestion in improving the rout it would be to remove that horrible section on the N81 between Hollywood and Baltinglass. It is always busy with Sunday traffic, boring, flat and usually has a headwind. Now I realise from trying to work out routes myself that coming up with exact distances are difficult and plotting a 200K circuit takes a lot of work but I think the old rout down Hollywood Glen to Donard was much nicer. And yes I know that the location of tea stops have to be taken into account as well.
    Was a little disappointed at the lack of certs at the finish. Now I know it’s only a personal thing but over the years I have kept them as a souvenir of the event. I would normally write on the back a short account of the day , weather , who I cycled with , average speed , anything unusual that happened etc. and looking back on them the throw up some great memories .
    Thanks to the organisers, marshals, stewards and all who made it a great event once again and particularly those taking part for the good humour and encouragement. Hope to be back for more torture next June.:):)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

If I was to make any suggestion in improving the rout it would be to remove that horrible section on the N81 between Hollywood and Baltinglass. It is always busy with Sunday traffic, boring, flat and usually has a headwind. Now I realise from trying to work out routes myself that coming up with exact distances are difficult and plotting a 200K circuit takes a lot of work but I think the old rout down Hollywood Glen to Donard was much nicer. And yes I know that the location of tea stops have to be taken into account as well.

Agreed, my preference would be to avoid N roads where there is a reasonable alternative. Was out on a practise run with a couple of lads a few weeks prior to the event and went via Blessington - Ballymore Eustace - back roads to Donard - SM, SE. A little bit more up and down and rougher surfaces coming into Donard, but a way nicer route IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

This was my 4th WW200 - I did the 100 last year as I didn't have enough training done.

I found it very tough going - certainly more difficult than the previous 200s. I think the weather was the main problem - specifically the wind. When I turned left at Hollywood I was heading directly into it - as forecast. I struggled away, wondering how I was going to keep going for 22 KMs when I was passed by a group. A quick mental calculation told me it was easier to expend super human efforts to keep up with the group (and be out of the wind) than an additional 50% to do it all on my own. I managed to keep up!

Baltinglass was a welcome break. The food was ok, but am I the only one who would like to see some fruit or salty snacks?

I grinded on, the wind on my back on the Slieve Mann and Shay Elliot climbs reducing the sheer agony to just about tolerable, no walk-of-shame, levels. The weather was properly miserable at this point so I didn't stop - the lure of Rathdrum motivated me to keep going, even when I found it hard to see through my rain and sweat-stained glasses on the descents.

When I got to Rathdrum, I decided I really didn't want to cycle up the hill to the food stop so I got food at the Centra instead and sat on some steps at the base of the hill to eat. I texted the family to say the weather had been bad earlier but was now ok. And then it started to rain. Heavily. Despite the fact I had my sandwich and crisps (salt, yum) laid out, I just didn't have the energy to move, so I stayed there with the rain 6issing down on me and my picnic, using my final reserves of energy just to eat the soggy feast.

I always enjoy the initial cycle after Rathdrum. The new "Conary Lower Climb" before Avoca was tough, but what's the difference between a long drawn-out torture and a slightly shorter more painful experience? Heading towards Greystones, I actually shouted at the roads - just who things it's ok to put gravel on a coating of tar, only for most - not all - of the gravel to erode away leaving a washboard surface? On my first WW200, I had a much harsher bike with 23mm tyres pumped up to 120 psi, so maybe I should have been more forgiving on my current "luxurious" all-carbon bike with 25mm 100psi tyres?

I found it cruel when I got to Greystones at about the 184 mark knowing the new finish was far away. I will say I hated this section of road up to the 20-bends. Urban, narrow in places, very busy, and just annoying. The fact that every drop of my freshly applied dry lube had been washed out of my chain at this point didn't help - the tortured metal-on-metal noises my drivetrain was making was probably similar to the silent noises my body was making at this point, somewhere deep within ...

I know Enniskerry very well, but I never use Monastery road. This, the last proper hill, was very unwelcome but I saw a guy in front of me who had overtaken me earlier so I dug deep and passed him out before the turn right at the top ;) Only one small hill left then before the finish ...

When I got off the bike, I was still bent over, and had to make my way, crab like, to the guy handing out the medals. At least I didn't have to stoop down! It's fair to say that this was the toughest WW200 I ever did. I cycled to the start line in the morning but was collected at the finish. I really doubt if I could have cycled the 13kms home.

The good:
    • It's a big challenge, gets me out on the bike
    • Proof that auld lads like me can still do hard things

The not so good:
    • I prefer the old route. I don't mind the tougher start but the end included busy roads at a busy time on a Sunday.
    • Every other WW cost me €40, this year it cost €53.50 and that was with the early-bird discount. A 33% increase :eek:
    • Less marshaling on some junctions than in other years - Nobody at the top of Deputy's Pass
    • Getting overtaken so effortlessly by 60kg "jockeys".
    • The fact that the bit from Greystones to the end seemed to take longer than all the rest.

Overall, 11 hours out, with 9 hours and just under 50 minutes on the saddle ? 20.7 km/h. Will I do it again ? almost definitely!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

On Saturday I finally understood something basic I have been missing.
    I have disabilities that cannot be denied. They aren't going away. No way no how will I ever ride a bike again like I could before. No point in comparing myself to anyone else who isn't damaged to the extent I am. Once I let that sink in I realised I've been doing these sportives wrong. No more playing racing. I decided I was going touring. I was coming off the back of a self satisfied Mick Byrne so I knew I had the legs for the distance. At a reduced pace I watched familiar faces pedal past. I wished them well and let them go.
    Hollywood to Baltinglass passed surprising easily given I rode it solo. After a discussion about eating and drinking on the Mick Byrne thread , I'd decided to up my liquid intake, educate myself on current thinking regarding eating and I set my Garmin alarm reminder. I stuck to that even when I thought I'd make myself sick and didn't want either food or drink. Ended up taking on three times the liquid I'd taken in the M.B.
    On Slieve Mann I felt comfortable and didn't feel much slower. Over Glenmalure still fine. But it was from Rathdrum to home that things really clicked. Whilst not exactly easy it was highly enjoyable - something I'm not at all used to in the late stages of an event.
    The kicker was a surprising 2.1 km faster average moving pace than the M.B . So, cliche it may be but slow is the new fast for me .
    Finally, I invariably get severe leg cramps after sportives but none this time - attention to hydration paid dividends.
    P.S, thought organisation was improved, sandwiches decent,helpers and marsalls outstanding

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭ofthelord

ofthelord wrote: »
    Just registered in bray. Going to attempt the 100km route tomorrow - looking forward to it now!
    Hoping to get around in 4 hours - we'll see tomorrow if this is wishful thinking on my part or not. I have gotten in a lot of hills on my cycles the last few months - moving to Wicklow last year has had its benefits for my cycling endurance. Going to try and start around 7:30am.
    Good luck everyone..

It was my first attempt at the WW. Did the 100 route. Found it to be a very enjoyable experience. Managed to avoid the rain, it was nice and sunny in parts.

I found the hills ok, even managed to get a PR on the Windgates hill out of Greystones. Now if i can just grow in confidence on the descents - I felt like I was being passed on the downhills as if I was stationary!

Cycled solo. got in around the 4hrs i was hoping for.
    3:52 moving time, 4:04 elapsed time.
    Did the cycle on my own, but had some quick chats with other cyclists on the way around - everyone was really nice and encouraging.
    I went out at a relaxed pace, and kept it steady until Newcastle, from Newcastle on I gave it my all. Reckon I could have gone on for another while.
    Enjoyed the cake and coffee at the end!
    Looking forward to trying the 200 route next year.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1031528572

• Registered Users Posts: 4 willyS81

Hi im just wondering is there a lost and found section from Sunday. Or by any chance was there some 1 who picked up a pair of sunglasses between Tinahely and Hacketstown i stopped to fix a puncture and put them down. I have drove back 2 or 3 times to look, they have a sentimental value and would gladly give a reward
    Many thanks William

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Cyclewizard

willyS81 wrote: »
    Hi im just wondering is there a lost and found section from Sunday. Or by any chance was there some 1 who picked up a pair of sunglasses between Tinahely and Hacketstown i stopped to fix a puncture and put them down. I have drove back 2 or 3 times to look, they have a sentimental value and would gladly give a reward
    Many thanks William

There was a lost and found section at the end worth contacting the organisers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

Did you all get the 20off voucher for Cycle SuperStore? Or this was only for the ones who registered in Saturday at the store?

I am planning on buying some stuff there and the voucher would do wonders but my bag didn't come with one. :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Galego wrote: »
    Did you all get the 20off voucher for Cycle SuperStore? Or this was only for the ones who registered in Saturday at the store?

I am planning on buying some stuff there and the voucher would do wonders but my bag didn't come with one. :-(
    PM sent with code.

Advertisement