Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow 200 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

dahat wrote: »
    Is there accomandtion nearby as I will be traveling quite a bit and would like to head there on the Friday?
    Parkview Hotel in Newtownmountkennedy always looked after us well . Full of cyclists and does very early breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

Does it sell out?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Does it sell out?
    Usually in the last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,787 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Esroh wrote: »
    Parkview Hotel in Newtownmountkennedy always looked after us well . Full of cyclists and does very early breakfast.

How near is this to race start?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

About 8km, but it's all downhill so you can freewheel to the start pretty much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

Race? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Is there accomandtion nearby as I will be traveling quite a bit and would like to head there on the Friday?

Will you be driving?. If so you really don't have to stay close by. Their is lots of places to stay just of the M50 so you could throw your bike in the car the morning of the event and park around the start area.

I've drove from Rathfarnham and it usually only takes about 20 minutes to the start.

Will you be driving?. If so you really don't have to stay close by. Their is lots of places to stay just of the M50 so you could throw your bike in the car the morning of the event and park around the start area.

I've drove from Rathfarnham and it usually only takes about 20 minutes to the start.

I'll be coming from S.Tipp so ideally would like to stay overnight as driving home after 200km doesn't appeal very much!!!

daragh_ wrote: »
    Race? ;)

Indeed a typo.....Leisure Sportive then! :D

Weepsie wrote: »

What is the start time? Likely to stay Saturday & Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Weepsie wrote: »

Nice killer of an 8km uphill on tired and sore legs at the end mind ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

What is the start time? Likely to stay Saturday & Sunday.

You can start anytime from 7 and I think the HQ opens at 6. That said lots of people start at silly o'clock. I was marshalling last year in Laragh from 8 on and there were plenty of riders there before me.

daragh_ wrote: »
    You can start anytime from 7 and I think the HQ opens at 6. That said lots of people start at silly o'clock. I was marshalling last year in Laragh from 8 on and there were plenty of riders there before me.

It is a Saturday and Sunday stay then, i'd be a silly o clock kind of guy myself but 8am sounds like a reasonable start time.

I'll be coming from S.Tipp so ideally would like to stay overnight as driving home after 200km doesn't appeal very much!!!

I had a feeling you were coming from outside Dublin but what i meant was you don't have to stay around the start area which might be booked out or charging a premium. There is lots of accommodation in Bray, Sandyford and dun laoghaire that are not for from the start

I had a feeling you were coming from outside Dublin but what i meant was you don't have to stay around the start area which might be booked out or charging a premium. There is lots of accommodation in Bray, Sandyford and dun laoghaire that are not for from the start

Yeah, thanks for the tip.

The hotel mentioned earlier was 250e for Saturday and Sunday with breakfast for 3 of us, thought that was fairly reasonable.

Yeah, thanks for the tip.

The hotel mentioned earlier was 250e for Saturday and Sunday with breakfast for 3 of us, thought that was fairly reasonable.

Sounds good to me too. Surprised with that price giving the time of year and the weekend that's in it

It's a 3 star so maybe that is reflected in the price.

11th June is the correct date, yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭paulie gaultieri

Might have been mentioned earlier but Ireland v Austria scheduled for 17.00 that day so I'll probably be a silly o'clock starter too

Entry paid for now so no turning back.....

Likely to be flying solo so looking to settle in with a group as a solo mission will be a long n slow day.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Also booked, even though I'd decided last year would be my last WW200. Good motivation to lose a bit of weight and put some decent distances in over the spring. I'll be taking my usual very leisurely pace around the circuit among the back markers, so for any other boardsies doing it, say hi as you pass by!

• Advertisement

smacl wrote: »
    Also booked, even though I'd decided last year would be my last WW200. Good motivation to lose a bit of weight and put some decent distances in over the spring. I'll be taking my usual very leisurely pace around the circuit among the back markers, so for any other boardsies doing it, say hi as you pass by!

I may join you as I'd like to actually finish this rather than be going home n blow after 150km!

Not entirely sure how this fits around my racing sechudle but it has to!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I may join you as I'd like to actually finish this rather than be going home n blow after 150km!

Not entirely sure how this fits around my racing sechudle but it has to!!

I've seen your average speeds on here. Much as I'd enjoy the company, I'm not sure you appreciate how 'leisurely' my leisurely pace in fact is* ;)

(* start to finish I'm usually about 10 hours on the WW200, where many boardsies will be closer to 8)

The quickest and shortest way home if you get to 150km is by finishing the whole 200. Believe me, the first time i done it, i thought of everything and the only way back other than finishing it is in a bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Feck you all anyway, I was just about to go out to get a Butler's Hot Chocolate with Cream and then I started reading this thread and decided that I better not!!!! :D

Spent the last 6 weeks in Oz so am well behind schedule, need to get out on my bike sharpish but generally only get a chance to get out early on the weekends at the moment and the roads have been lethal with ice so decided against going out as I made that mistake before. This weekend appears to be the same but getting my turbo trainer wheel today so will be hooking that up and getting to work. Lots of hard work ahead !!!!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

smacl wrote: »
    I've seen your average speeds on here. Much as I'd enjoy the company, I'm not sure you appreciate how 'leisurely' my leisurely pace in fact is* ;)

(* start to finish I'm usually about 10 hours on the WW200, where many boardsies will be closer to 8)

With my weight and current cycling regime might be joining you at the "leisurely" pace

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

P_1 wrote: »
    Nice killer of an 8km uphill on tired and sore legs at the end mind ;)
    Not really though. One ramp between Charlesland and Kilcoole roundabouts, a drag up to N11 (with a stretch that's actually downhill for a bit) from there and a bit of a ramp again onto the N11 southbound then it's downhill into NTMK. Handy enough compared to most of the climbs on the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Eponymous wrote: »
    Not really though. One ramp between Charlesland and Kilcoole roundabouts, a drag up to N11 (with a stretch that's actually downhill for a bit) from there and a bit of a ramp again onto the N11 southbound then it's downhill into NTMK. Handy enough compared to most of the climbs on the route.
    I think P_1 may be referring to that long climb out of Avoca.

I think lot of those who are unaccustomed to long rides feel psychologically, that once they reach the 2nd foodstop in Rathdrum, that they are almost home and hosed whereas there is still about 55/60k to go at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭lissard

I think P_1 may be referring to that long climb out of Avoca.

I think lot of those who are unaccustomed to long rides feel psychologically, that once they reach the 2nd foodstop in Rathdrum, that they are almost home and hosed whereas there is still about 55/60k to go at that point.

Think he means the route back to the hotel in Newtownmountkennedy. 8k tagged onto the end of the W200. Piece of cake to you, but tough for us mere mortals! Last year I remember seeing a group from up North heading back to Bray over Windgates at the end of the W200. Now that wouldn't be much fun if your legs were gone. I cramped at the very end going through Kilcoole, Windgates would have finished me.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭AmboMan

I've enlisted. Will knock a Kg off or else kill me !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Nah, P_1 was talking about the route back to NTMK (and the hotel) from Shoreline. Most of my routes for spins take me out that direction if I'm heading south.

As for tackling Windgates after the WW200, no thanks. Cycle to train station, take train. :)

Advertisement