Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow 200 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,787 ✭✭✭✭dahat

lissard wrote: »
    Think he means the route back to the hotel in Newtownmountkennedy. 8k tagged onto the end of the W200. Piece of cake to you, but tough for us mere mortals! Last year I remember seeing a group from up North heading back to Bray over Windgates at the end of the W200. Now that wouldn't be much fun if your legs were gone. I cramped at the very end going through Kilcoole, Windgates would have finished me.

Think I'll get the Mrs to bring the car down from the hotel and drive me back up!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

I'm signed up for this...suddenly feel the urge to buy the Fat Lad At the Back (F.L.A.B) ' Lantern Rouge' Jersey.

Getting to Greystones and back will be a logs challenge.

Switching to a 52 36 next week but sure as hell ain't doing the 200 with that set up.

More I read more nervous I get!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

dahat wrote: »
    Switching to a 52 36 next week but sure as hell ain't doing the 200 with that set up.

More I read more nervous I get!

I'm banking on my two solo 150km spins and two 127km climbfests (over 2k metres gain) being proof of concept.

Going to start height hunting as soon as the weather allows: new commute should allow me to do 150km in pre-work spins plus whatever I do on a Sunday per week.

Now I just need to say no to cakes.

I'm banking on my two solo 150km spins and two 127km climbfests (over 2k metres gain) being proof of concept.

Going to start height hunting as soon as the weather allows: new commute should allow me to do 150km in pre-work spins plus whatever I do on a Sunday per week.

Now I just need to say no to cakes.

Not really setting out a plan myself, just going to follow as is with TR and do the few races I have planned. The last one will the the 3 Stage GP in Clonmel on 29th May. I should be in good condition by that point with hopefully another 5-10kgs shifted to a more manageable 92-94kgs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I usually throw in one long day before the event taking in SM and SE. Makes it easier on the day if they've been done recently. Outside of that it's all about a comfy saddle, decent shorts and a broad smile. Got very little training in before the day last year but struggled through.

smacl wrote: »
    I usually throw in one long day before the event taking in SM and SE. Makes it easier on the day if they've been done recently. Outside of that it's all about a comfy saddle, decent shorts and a broad smile. Got very little training in before the day last year but struggled through.

Most of my Sunday spins head over 100km at a decent clip so I'll be pretty fit for it. Getting used to long ass climbs at a steady pace again I will need to practise once or twice beforehand.

I won't have seen any of these roads before so im in for a rude awakening!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Most of my Sunday spins head over 100km at a decent clip so I'll be pretty fit for it. Getting used to long ass climbs at a steady pace again I will need to practise once or twice beforehand.

I won't have seen any of these roads before so im in for a rude awakening!!!
    There's a lot of flat bits on the WW200 despite what people seem to think. Pro rata, there's not much more climbing than a mixed terrain Sunday club ride. Don't worry about not knowing the roads - no matter where you are there will be people in front and behind you so you'll never be on your own.

Actually, going by your normal average speeds, most will be behind you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

Registered today looking forward to this

There's a lot of flat bits on the WW200 despite what people seem to think. Pro rata, there's not much more climbing than a mixed terrain Sunday club ride. Don't worry about not knowing the roads - no matter where you are there will be people in front and behind you so you'll never be on your own.

Actually, going by your normal average speeds, most will be behind you! :)

I don't ever undertake climbing like this though so it's quite the unknown, SK160 was quote challenging last year so hopefully this is a natural progression. I like climbing even if I can't go as quick as come of the club lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Don't worry about not knowing the roads - no matter where you are there will be people in front and behind you so you'll never be on your own.

...and half way through everyone will be asking "is this Slieve Mann?!" every time the road goes up.

I don't ever undertake climbing like this though so it's quite the unknown...
    You'll be fine. The WW200 avoids most of the steeper road so most are just long drags. The first bit of the Shay Elliott is probably the steepest bit but I don't think it goes above 10-12%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

I don't ever undertake climbing like this though so it's quite the unknown, SK160 was quote challenging last year so hopefully this is a natural progression. I like climbing even if I can't go as quick as come of the club lads.

You'll fly around.

If you are going to the bother of driving to Dublin/hotel etc you should pick something more challenging. I managed Wicklow 6 or 8 weeks (I can't remember exactly) after buying my first bike and was able to drive home and drank two pints in local. I wasn't remotely quick mind!

I see what you do on bike you won't have a bother. You could do Wicklow and do a different spin from hotel the next morning while up there. Wicklow, if you pick right roads is a joy on a bike

Mick Byrne 200 would be a test if you don't like ramps.

You'll be fine. The WW200 avoids most of the steeper road so most are just long drags. The first bit of the Shay Elliott is probably the steepest bit but I don't think it goes above 10-12%.

This is good news!!! I'm hoping for a good experience and enjoyable day all round.

ford2600 wrote: »
    You'll fly around.

If you are going to the bother of driving to Dublin/hotel etc you should pick something more challenging. I managed Wicklow 6 or 8 weeks (I can't remember exactly) after buying my first bike and was able to drive home and drank two pints in local. I wasn't remotely quick mind!

I see what you do on bike you won't have a bother. You could do Wicklow and do a different spin from hotel the next morning while up there. Wicklow, if you pick right roads is a joy on a bike

Mick Byrne 200 would be a test if you don't like ramps.

It's a weekend thing for the Mrs and my daughter so I'm not sure she will appreciate me heading out next morning on the bike again!

That was quite a feat to mange it soon soon after getting a bike regardless of what ya say.

... so I'm not sure she will appreciate me heading out next morning on the bike again!....
    Only solution is to do the Boards Evil Ride the day before and then do the WW200 as your recovery ride! That will leave you free the day after. :pac:

Only solution is to do the Boards Evil Ride the day before and then do the WW200 as your recovery ride! That will leave you free the day after. :pac:

That's just about the cruelest suggestion regarding cycling anyone has ever made to me...I can feel the hurt just reading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

That's just about the cruelest suggestion regarding cycling anyone has ever made to me...I can feel the hurt just reading it.

Thats cruelty for most of us but for WA thats only 2 lesiurely spins to be followed by another 200 on the monday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

2017 will be my second year doing this but have started the training earlier this year so hoping improve upon last year's 8.5 hours. Not sure the price increase is justified and if it goes any higher then this year will be my last.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭cjonesy1

I've signed up and I see on the website that they say improvements this year include:

More training tips from people who are veterans of the event as well as former professional riders
    Nutrition tips and advice for all those signed up to the event
    FREE training plans developed for you by some of Irelands top coaches

Did anyone get a training plan?

There doesn't seem to be anything under Advice & Training on the website. The only new post since last year is about group riding and that's it. + Three old posts from 2014.

I'll send them an email but just wondering if anyone here has any info.

thanks

• Advertisement

I've not received anything from them other than confirmation of payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭cjonesy1

So I tried to send an email to info@Wicklow200.ie, but it just gets bounced back.
    I've sent the query to their admin address. I'll see if they come back with anything.

cjonesy1 wrote: »
    So I tried to send an email to info@Wicklow200.ie, but it just gets bounced back.
    I've sent the query to their admin address. I'll see if they come back with anything.

Tried that as well a few weeks ago, still no response.

They seem to be somewhat active on twitter: https://twitter.com/Wicklow200

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Good article here http://www.stickybottle.com/coaching/coaching-prepare-perform-target-sportive/ on preparing for a major sportif. Some of the other event websites such as the Sean Kelly have good training tips too.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Good article here http://www.stickybottle.com/coaching/coaching-prepare-perform-target-sportive/ on preparing for a major sportif. Some of the other event websites such as the Sean Kelly have good training tips too.
    It seems crazy complicated and unenjoyable to me - how about enjoy your time on the bike, nobody gives a sh1t what time anyone else finishes a sportive in it is for fun after all.

It seems crazy complicated and unenjoyable to me - how about enjoy your time on the bike, nobody gives a sh1t what time anyone else finishes a sportive in it is for fun after all.

For a simpler approach, Seamus wrote a great guide for preparing for a sportive here.. As he says, "Get kilometres under your arse" is always a good plan.

Just read it, and while complex it does have some very solid advice. Really need to start using my HR monitor on the Garmin one of these days!

It's a good article on Sticky Bottle but there's a lot of information to digest for a beginner who may be attempting their first sportive. They maybe should have broken the article down in to a series of articles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭lissard

smacl wrote: »
    Just read it, and while complex it does have some very solid advice. Really need to start using my HR monitor on the Garmin one of these days!

For the W200 I have found the HRM quite useful. I use it on the climbs to ensure I don't tip into the red zone. I try to climb 25 BPM less than my max. Allows me not to burn all my matches at the start. It's very tempting to go balls out on the Long Hill and on the Wicklow gap. You are surrounded by other cyclists and the old competitive instinct kicks in. I like to keep my powder dry for the second half of the route where you can really suffer if you've gone too deep at the start.

Advertisement