Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow 200 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

Best advice for the W200 is take it handy on the hills

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

py wrote: »
    ......there's a lot of information to digest for a beginner who may be attempting their first sportive.

It never ceases to amaze me every year the number of cyclists who take on the W200 or the RoK as their first sportif. It's probably the equivalent of entering a full Marathon without working up to it.

There are a lot of really good sportives out there that are much more suited to "beginners" with distances of 60, 100 or 160k. Many of them are a lot more enjoyable INHO with more interesting routes and less hassle at food stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

I think P_1 may be referring to that long climb out of Avoca.

I think lot of those who are unaccustomed to long rides feel psychologically, that once they reach the 2nd foodstop in Rathdrum, that they are almost home and hosed whereas there is still about 55/60k to go at that point.

I live in Arklow and the route down to Avoca from Rathdrum was part of my regular cycle commute so the legs start to get all giddy about that point :facepalm:

From Avoca to the Arboretum is the most bumpy, velcro style road ever, always struggle to get any kind of rythem going there.

Going to sign up come payday - I like the route and it's gives me motivation through the spring/summer.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

lissard wrote: »
    It's very tempting to go balls out on the Long Hill and on the Wicklow gap. You are surrounded by other cyclists and the old competitive instinct kicks in.

I don't tend to go balls out until the first roundabout coming back into Greystones. Anything to get my balls off the saddle at that point in the day... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

It never ceases to amaze me every year the number of cyclists who take on the W200 or the RoK as their first sportif. It's probably the equivalent of entering a full Marathon without working up to it.

There are a lot of really good sportives out there that are much more suited to "beginners" with distances of 60, 100 or 160k. Many of them are a lot more enjoyable INHO with more interesting routes and less hassle at food stops.

I know what you mean, but on a sportive people tend to take long stops to rest and relaax which is not the case in marathons. However, it doesnt matter which you're doing, if you havent done the training, you're doing yourself no favours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Ha, I did the 200 as my first sportive last year! I was already doing 100plus spins, often including either or both the Shay or Slievemaan or one or both the gaps, so a flatter marginally longer spin, involving more travel didn't really appeal as a target at they stage.

Also did ROK. It's not 180, and really isn't that hard. Saw some lunatic manoeuvres in the WW200, but nothing compared to ROK, and that is why I'd advise against doing that one rather than it being too hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

ROK is 170km and has lovely smooth roads, 2 climbs with one a par with the wicklow gap.

It's not easy but it's not hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Registration site appears to be down? Wasnt gonna do it, but will sign up in case I don't get into MB200, or get in and swerve it having been at slane gig the night before.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,787 ✭✭✭✭dahat

New start/finish according to Facebook page.

Bray Emmets GAA Club is the new base, new hotel booked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Yeah i saw that. A bit of a pain in the arse as the start at Shoreline is literally 2 minutes away from me!

• Advertisement

Booked the Wilton which is a bit away but so be it, sure I need to sleep somewhere before n after.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

Starting in County Dublin I see, I'll miss that nice warmup through the Glen of the Downs and presumably the run back to the finish isn't going to be the same either?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Yeah i saw that. A bit of a pain in the arse as the start at Shoreline is literally 2 minutes away from me!

Ah getting over Bray Head will be a nice warmup for you :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Was parking that much of an issue in Greystones? When I arrived, despite cars dumped everywhere around Shoreline, there was loads of space in the Park and Ride. 200m wasn't going to break a 200km cycle...

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭lissard

I'm curious what the route is likely to be now. Starting in Bray Emmets opens up the possibility of going over the Sally Gap. Think that was the old route.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭meisce

Ffs i live beside Bray Emmets and i can't do the 200 this year

meisce wrote: »
    Ffs i live beside Bray Emmets and i can't do the 200 this year

Tea n scones on you then!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

nilhg wrote: »
    Starting in County Dublin I see...
    :confused: Bray, Co Wicklow!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

That road is the border, but Emmets are on the Wicklow side of it.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Was parking that much of an issue in Greystones? When I arrived, despite cars dumped everywhere around Shoreline, there was loads of space in the Park and Ride. 200m wasn't going to break a 200km cycle...
    Many of those driving to the start will not be familiar with Greystones and will naturally park as close as they can to the Shoreline and not be familiar with other options. If you were to do a sportive starting in Belfast, you would probably not be familiar with other parking options up there whereas locals will be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,975 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Many of those driving to the start will not be familiar with Greystones and will naturally park as close as they can to the Shoreline and not be familiar with other options. If you were to do a sportive starting in Belfast, you would probably not be familiar with other parking options up there whereas locals will be.

so, a few signposts then, maybe some guys in hi-viz directing traffic? There are over 400 spaces in the P&R and at least another 100 in shoreline - how much space is there at Emmets?

You'd imagine that the organisers of the second biggest sportive in the country would update their web page before announcing a change on FB, The route provided still gives the start in Greystones as does info about the 2017 event. :(

And with the present controversy regarding IVCA licences at CI events, will the IVCA be accepting CI licences?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

Not what google maps shows but I'll accept local knowledge:D

I never had any issue with parking at the Shoreline centre start, but if they use this change as a opportunity to freshen up the route that might be no harm.

The GAA club is on the Dublin side according to google maps. Handy start for me, about half an hour of a cycle from the house. I'll be interested to see the new route, a change is good.

413039.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 14,975 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Old Conna Ave is a fairly small road to be starting onto as well - at Greystones (and UCD previously) the start was onto a dual carriageway.

loyatemu wrote: »
    Old Conna Ave is a fairly small road to be starting onto as well - at Greystones (and UCD previously) the start was onto a dual carriageway.

Yep, grand for cycling but going to be very congested for cars, particularly when the road will be mobbed by bikes as well. Possible that bikes will leave via the School entrance onto Thornhill road but even then much more awkward to drive to than Greystones.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

this is going to be a nightmare. I've been at GAA matches in Emmets that were hairy enough, and that's with only a fraction of the people and cars this will bring.

Bad call by the organisers imo, but time will tell I suppose.

Glad to be using hotel parking them.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭lissard

Given the numbers involved (3000 cyclists), I don't think they can realistically be routing the event through the middle of Bray, nor can they safely send 3000 cyclists up and down a motorway. This means the only way into the Wicklow mountains is via Glencullen or Enniskerry. Looking at he different route combinations I think we are looking at a pretty different W200 route.

It's kind of fun guessing, here's what I think they might do.

Bray -> Enniskerry -> Powerscourt Waterfall -> Glencree -> Sally Gap - > Manor Kilbride -> Lake Drive -> Baltinglass -> Rathdangan -> Sliamh Maan + Shea Elliott -> Rathdrum -> Avoca -> Redcross + Deputys pass -> Moneystown - > Roundwood - > Coach road back to enniskerry -> ballyman road back to start point.

3300m of climbing! The Poggio climb into Enniskerry would be pretty tough with 200k in the legs.

Maybe there is a more benign option out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

smacl wrote: »
    The GAA club is on the Dublin side according to google maps. Handy start for me, about half an hour of a cycle from the house. I'll be interested to see the new route, a change is good

Point taken on the geographical aspects. That road has had some weird county boundaries though with regards to DLRCC/Bray/Wicklow.

Getting the cyclists out of there will be fun anyway. Realistically there are only two options, Ferndale-Rathmichael-Kilternan-Glencullen and into the mountains, or Ballyman - Enniskerry and into the mountains. The question is do you bring them back the same way, or Greystones, over Windgates and down through the town?

Advertisement