Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow 200 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

I remember doing the Tour of Wicklow sportive a few summers ago (it was a horrible day), anyway it started in the GAA Emmets club in Bray and we left and went straight up the Ballyman road and onto the Scalp road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

I wonder if it's been moved because of the residents around Greystones? They've been whinging and moaning about the parking the last few years. This will add about 40km onto a day I will already be struggling to get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'm actually more tempted to do it again a different route!

It's the descent off luggala/ above Lough Tay that was the issue last time it went over the Sally Gap wasn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Macy0161 wrote: »

It's the descent off luggala/ above Lough Tay that was the issue last time it went over the Sally Gap wasn't it?
    Was it not at the bridge on the bend on the Sally Gap- Manor Kilbride descent. Several riders left the road and entered the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Was it not at the bridge on the bend on the Sally Gap- Manor Kilbride descent. Several riders left the road and entered the water.

What!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Macy0161 wrote: »

The WW200 hasn't descended from Sally Gap via luggala ....at least not as far as I can remember. The last number of years it's always been down to Manor Kilbride and then around the Blessington lakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

P_1 wrote: »
    What!?

Ah the bridge of doom, still have a scar on my arse from that day. Nobody went into the water though, well not that I saw anyway. Into the ditch, into the bog, into the railings on the bridge, and if I recall into one of the large boulders there at the time (ironically to presumably stop cars going into the ditch), but not quite into the water. Wet weather, poor visibility, long descent with a tailwind plus a bridge with a bend proved to be a bit of a problem for quite a few people.
    07Lapierre wrote: »
    The WW200 hasn't descended from Sally Gap via luggala ....at least not as far as I can remember. The last number of years it's always been down to Manor Kilbride and then around the Blessington lakes.

It last went down Luggala in 2008... Can't see why they wouldn't use it again it's no better or worse than some of the descents they've used since...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I do remember a couple of ambulances around there one particularly stormy year and saw a few sad souls on the side of the road. More to do with the appalling weather than a fault with the organisers and they had hay bails out the following year from memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Not much different to what has been happening the last few years on the descent of Shay Elliott so,other than the water part. A couple of marshals at the bridge could sort that out.

I'd be much more interested in doing it again if it was a new route although it could still be the same as before with them just using a different part of the N11 to get to kilmacanogue and the long hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

I wonder if they might close the hard shoulder and/or the inside lane on the M11/N11 to facilitate a roll out from J5 to Kilmac?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,975 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Eponymous wrote: »
    I wonder if they might close the hard shoulder and/or the inside lane on the M11/N11 to facilitate a roll out from J5 to Kilmac?

you can't get directly onto the M11 from Emmets - only the northbound exit slip connects to Old Conna Ave - the rest of J5 connects to the roundabout at Wilford so you'd have to cycle into Bray and up to the roundabout https://goo.gl/maps/8gM7ad6FYEL2

but they couldn't close off the inside lane anyway as they'd have to close all the intervening junctions of which there are several.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

They might send us up Thornhill rd to Fassaroe and on to the n11 that way. Would probably be a shorter stint on the n11 than the normal route.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

I would be very surprised if the route takes in Thornhill Road. There's a nasty little dip on a very narrow road which would act as a real bottleneck. Makes more sense to go up Ballyman to Enniskerry and on from there, avoiding the N11.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

Have to say greystones wasnt a bad start easy to get in and out. I assume the problem was that cars couldnt get into the car park with bikes on the roof leading to back ups on the road. Not an insurmountable problem I thought

• Registered Users Posts: 22 floodser

daragh_ wrote: »
    I would be very surprised if the route takes in Thornhill Road. There's a nasty little dip on a very narrow road which would act as a real bottleneck. Makes more sense to go up Ballyman to Enniskerry and on from there, avoiding the N11.

And hopefully from there, straight up to Glencree and on to Sally.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,787 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Wife is starting to realize that maybe staying with me for the 200 ain't such a hot idea as I'll need to rest up Saturday n be in a heap Sunday evening....She will be effectively hotel bound!

dahat wrote: »
    Wife is starting to realize that maybe staying with me for the 200 ain't such a hot idea....
    When I read that first I thought she had intended to ride 200k with you and was thinking that was commitment.

... I'll need to rest up Saturday n be in a heap Sunday evening....
    Now steady on dahat, it's the WW200, not the Evil 200. Enjoy a nice dinner with Mrs dahat on Saturday night with plenty of pasta and a few pints/wine and on Sunday night dwell on your achievement with the same. You won't be in any 'heap'.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

Now steady on dahat, it's the WW200, not the Evil 200. Enjoy a nice dinner with Mrs dahat on Saturday night with plenty of pasta and a few pints/wine and on Sunday night dwell on your achievement with the same. You won't be in any 'heap'.

He's dead right dahat, plus consider that if you make a nice enjoyable weekend of it and Mrs dahat enjoys it, future planning permission applications for events involving a weekend away will be viewed in a more favourable light...

Plenty good advice from experienced members of the weekend away brigade it seems!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

Plenty good advice from experienced members of the weekend away brigade it seems!

I'd say it's advice from those who haven't done the weekend away and have felt the wrath upon return home :D

Still nothing on the new route on the website.

You would think the organisers at the time of confirming the new start point would know the route???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

FYI
    Mon 10th April - €10 discount on Wicklow 100/200 registration ends at 12 noon today.

Still no sign of an updated route??????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

MB Lacey wrote: »
    FYI
    Mon 10th April - €10 discount on Wicklow 100/200 registration ends at 12 noon today.

I paid up last week. Gone up from €40 to €53.50, an increase of a third :mad:

Still no route............

bazermc wrote: »
    Still no route............

Sure that's irrelevant....

Poor from the organisers tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Gotta be said, the w200 is fast becoming a joke if its not one already.
    How ****ing hard is it to print a route?
    Surely when you move the start venue you have the route planned out once the decision is made.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Don't worry guys - it's part of the mystique they are trying to build in celebration of the 50th anniversary of the issue of Magical Mystery Tour by the Beatles. It's going to be even more challenging for those of us who are supposed to be marshalling....

• Advertisement

It has taken the edge off the event for me being honest.

As long as they don't increase the climbing then i won't be too pissed.

Advertisement