Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow 200 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ratracer wrote: »
    Whats the road surface like up that way lads?
    You want to know what the road surface is like over a 200k route? :confused:

Lets just say it 'mixed' - that should cover all of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

Near vertical in spots I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

You want to know what the road surface is like over a 200k route? :confused:

Lets just say it 'mixed' - that should cover all of it.

Any notable descents to be extra wary off?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

dahat wrote: »
    Any notable descents to be extra wary off?
    Off the top of my head, the last few hundred metres of the Shay Elliott - bends leading to a T junction. It usually well marshalled though with advance marshalls advising to drop speed. Road markings as well IIRC.

The short sharp descent into Enniskerry (although it's urban in nature).

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Euro Fred

Off the top of my head, the last few hundred metres of the Shay Elliott - bends leading to a T junction. It usually well marshalled though with advance marshalls advising to drop speed. Road markings as well IIRC..

Defo, the steepness and rough surface make it a a case of "**** my wheels, hope I can stop, **** my wheels, hope I can stop"

I had a real beginner mistake there a couple of years ago.

Guy in front dropped his phone, me being me thought I'd stop and pick it up for him.

Not a great idea on a big descent with loads of people behind me.

Got away with it but lesson learned.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

the last few hundred metres of the Shay Elliott - bends leading to a T junction. It usually well marshalled though with advance marshalls advising to drop speed. Road markings as well IIRC.

Yep, all in shade with plenty of lurking potholes, take that section handy. Once you take heed of the marshals and road markings its no bother. Plenty of rough surfaces, so a good day for 25s or 28s rather than 23s.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭lissard

When it comes to sh*te road surfaces in Wicklow one stands out above all others for me. The 3 star pave sector running through the Vale of Clara. A nice bit of friction to slow you down after the descent off the Elliot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Just back from the new route up near Connary.

It's very similar to the new bit up the old long hill the route now does to get to Roundwood. Really steep and goes on for a long, long time. Road surface is really good (but be careful when coming down to the start at "The Meetings" as the left turn is easy to miss nearly at the bottom of lovely smooth descent - it's quite a bit before the pub - and there is a lot of gravel there as no-one local goes left there.

So it's a killer climb at about 95 miles but after you clear the wood it's a quite nice road with one smallish grind.

Compared to the route out of Avoca, which isn't quite as steep but much longer and you lose loads of the gained height that you have to climb again plus you get to miss out on the short left hand kicker hiding behind the shop corner in Barndarrig and the one a little after at the ruined house.

I think I prefer this part of the new route - After the Rathdrum foodstop you have an easy <5 miles to a savage climb, a good stretch to recover before a couple of small grinds before you are at the top of that ace descent past the tree place. Then it's all pretty smooth and flat up to Greystones (small kicker in Kilcoole aside).

Not too sure about the old long hill thing, I do be up there on the mtb and it's a lot slower than the main road to Roundwood

What's "really steep"?? Gradient wise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

What's "really steep"?? Gradient wise

I think he means this little stretch... Comes close to 30% :pac:

https://www.strava.com/segments/4763946

• Advertisement

py wrote: »

Mother of God....better bring some spare cleats, could be walking if your 30% is correct and not a wind up!!!!
    Should be interesting in all fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

Heh, that stretch is on the Mick Byrne 200 & 160 too, but the MB takes it in the opposite (downhill) direction. It's a bit like the steep bit at the Devil's Elbow between Johnny Foxs and Enniskerry, but longer!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,975 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

30% seems unlikely - Strava's not great at measuring gradients over very short climbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Is there a refund/cancellation policy? can't see it on the website

loyatemu wrote: »
    30% seems unlikely - Strava's not great at measuring gradients over very short climbs.

It's pretty accurate for the last ramps on Kilmashogue and Kippure.

I've a compact and a 11-36 and I was in bottom gear grinding up.

It's on a par with the savage climb on the Mt Leinster challenge (not the bit up to the masts), the one with the left hander near the top but it's not as long.

I can imagine a lot of people walking it tbh. I suspect I might.

saccades wrote: »

It's on a par with the savage climb on the Mt Leinster challenge (not the bit up to the masts), the one with the left hander near the top but it's not as long.

My semi compact may struggle then.

Looks like a late change of bike to the 50-34 with 11 28 for me if these reports are correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Atom Ant

Must be rocking some GS rear derailleur to get a 36 on a road bike. Now where is my spare cleats?

Atom Ant wrote: »
    Must be rocking some GS rear derailleur to get a 36 on a road bike. Now where is my spare cleats?

I've double checked - 11-32T (I got confuzzled with one of the mtb's just took the 36 off and added a 40).

My semi compact may struggle then.

Looks like a late change of bike to the 50-34 with 11 28 for me if these reports are correct.

I'd defo go for a compact (50/34) up front and the 11-28 on back, maybe 11-32 if you have it and your derailleur can handle it. Only time you'll get any use of a standard or semi compact on Wicklow 200 is on the descents but tbh I'd recommend freewheeling down to conserve energy for the next climb. :)

• Advertisement

I'd defo go for a compact (50/34) up front and the 11-28 on back, maybe 11-32 if you have it and your derailleur can handle it. Only time you'll get any use of a standard or semi compact on Wicklow 200 is on the descents but tbh I'd recommend freewheeling down to conserve energy for the next climb. :)

I'd be pretty disappointed if my A4 legs couldn't get me around on a compact with 11-28 tbh but to do so i'll need to get a new chain for the winter bike.Adding further cost to an already big cycling bill won't go down well with the financial controller.

Laziness and being pig headed makes me want to chance the semi compact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

The walk of shame :eek: ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭secman

I'd be pretty disappointed if my A4 legs couldn't get me around on a compact with 11-28 tbh but to do so i'll need to get a new chain for the winter bike.Adding further cost to an already big cycling bill won't go down well with the financial controller.

Laziness and being pig headed makes me want to chance the semi compact.
    I've seen your Avg..W200 no bother to you, my claim to fame is doing it many moons ago on a steel frame 52/42 and an 8 speed cassette a straight 12 to 19. Latter climbs were torture.
    But that pales into insignificance when I saw a guy last year doing it on a Dublin Bike :)
    No pressure at all on you ...:)

Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭lissard

secman wrote: »
    But that pales into insignificance when I saw a guy last year doing it on a Dublin Bike :)
    Enjoy

That fella was a machine, thought I was hallucinating when I passed him out at the start. Sliamh Maan must have been torture.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭ratracer

Oh dear....., my options are 39x28 or 39x25!!

I started to walk walk half way up Seskin Hill on the SKT one year. About 50 skinnies passed me on the way up. When I got my fat arse in gear at the top with the aid of gravity passed about 200 on the way down. The 'walk of shame' = Laws of conservation of energy ..my excuse ...hehe

Oh dear....., my options are 39x28 or 39x25!!

Notice any similarity between https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/816450/415286.jpg and K2 http://10formation.blogspot.ie/2013/01/tallest-mountains-in-world.html.

Looks like the damn Himalayas to me. Defo a case for a 30/32 Compact. That or mechanical doping :D

A tandem rider is stopped by a police car. “What’ve I done, officer?” asks the rider.
    “Perhaps you didn’t notice sir, but your wife fell off your bike half a mile back . . .”
    “Oh, thank God for that,” says the rider – “I thought I’d gone deaf!”

I'm intentionally not looking at the route beforehand, just point me on the right direction from the start, and that'll do!!
    I need to get a lot of miles on the legs this month though :(

I started my training today(I left it late). Cycled from St Pats City centre to bray and did the first 15K. I like the new route. A change is good.. Set the Garmin to the course doing the W100. Left Emmets GA club thinking right my first big climb is the Long Hill. Like one minute up the road turned left/right and up the Monastery road. I said to myself you got to be kidding me! Looks like all of 10/12% grade. If I was 2 stone lighter and a 32T compact with proper training might give it a shot. Not a bother to walk it. My chapeau of to the skinnies that can do that. If the hills are bad, the descents are lethal. I am up at 55/60kpmh and the braking to shave off speed because I am not familiar with the roads. Anyone with cheap chinese full carbon wheels forget it. Unless it is High TG resin putting your life in your hands. The roads are pretty good (first 15KM) obviously need some desperate repairs in places. 9.7 and 9.87 Km took 2 pics write to council works to try and repair them in advance. The long hill was not too bad at all. Running a 50/30 and I used it.The roads on descent back into Enniskerry are awful God knows what pot hole I hit but I was coming in like an exocet missile.Managed to dislodge the handle bars and that takes some doing. Overall It was a beautiful day and I am really glad to have tested the run. Great scenery. Better then looking at a dual carriageway at the start. Definately a challenge and worth doing.Now to pray to the weather Gods:eek:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Sounds like the Corrabut gap? Not that I don't love surprises, but I may try to fit this ramp into my weekend spin on Sunday. Looking on Google street view, does seem very much like the Devil's elbow, with the painful bit quite short.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭blackvalley

Has anyone seen the " News " section of the Wicklow 200 website . Something about collecting your " Race kit " the day before in Cycle Superstore . Normally that stuff is posted out to everyone several days before the event . Am I missing something here ?:confused:

"Competitors in the Wicklow 200 and Wicklow 100 Challenge events can collect their race packs and goody bags at the market leading Cycle SuperStore in Tallaght, County Dublin from 10am until 1pm on June 10th before registration moves across to event headquarters in Bray."

Advertisement