Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sheep census

• 16-12-2016 6:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭

Lads - have any of ye got any notification of the sheep census date for this year? Normally, I get a letter and the form by now. Want to keep my numbers up for the census but I also want to sell a few now!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭tom_k

Will arrive next week. Agfood users can submit online after 31st December 2016.

http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/sheep-census-forms-of-the-way-to-farmers/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

tom_k wrote: »
    Will arrive next week. Agfood users can submit online after 31st December 2016.

http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/sheep-census-forms-of-the-way-to-farmers/
    Was the 12th the date last year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Census date is always the 15 December, if you sell it will go through the data base anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Census date is always the 15 December, if you sell it will go through the data base anyway.

Census date this year is 31st December,

forms to be returned or line return before 31st Jan. 2017

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭razor8

It's my understanding that the census date is always on a Sunday to avoid the scenario where sheep are moving from one farm to another such as a mart day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭orm0nd

razor8 wrote: »
    It's my understanding that the census date is always on a Sunday to avoid the scenario where sheep are moving from one farm to another such as a mart day

that's the thinking ok

nothing to stop direct farm to farm, or a quite a lot of sheep are dropped into factories on sunday evenings

anyhow it's on a saturday this year. (ny eve)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

razor8 wrote: »

Maybe the move to 31/12 coincidentally now ties in with a closing stock figure for your tax returns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Anyone get their 2017 Census forms
    What’s the significance of ewes 2yo & older?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Maybe the move to 31/12 coincidentally now ties in with a closing stock figure for your tax returns.

Doubt if that's the reason.

1. The end of your tax year could be any date you choose.

2. If someone were to go to the trouble of lying on the tax return I doubt if it'd just be the sheep on the holding.

More likely would it be to do with the welfare scheme. What's the official year on it, the calendar year or February to February or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Anyone get their 2017 Census forms
    What’s the significance of ewes 2yo & older?

That's the number that'll be used for the sheep welfare scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

ganmo wrote: »
    That's the number that'll be used for the sheep welfare scheme.

Not good
    That rules out the first lambers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Not good
    That rules out the first lambers

It also rules out second lambers not 2 until March that might have lambed this year as ewe lambs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,227 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Form arrived here last Wednesday. Might as well fill it in today and get rid of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,258 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Form arrived here last Wednesday. Might as well fill it in today and get rid of it.

murphys law will make sure one dies before the 31st......what do you do then....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

It also rules out second lambers not 2 until March that might have lambed this year as ewe lambs.

So the rules have changed.?? Am I missing something here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,227 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

wrangler wrote: »
    murphys law will make sure one dies before the 31st......what do you do then....:D

Well, as it's the source document for the welfare scheme, leave a bit of "wiggle room" !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

‘Tis a tad confusing alright,you were allowed to count sheep of breeding age as replacements for older ewes in my understanding....hence you needed to keep on hoggetts or buy them in place of old ewes for eg this backend...there was no point buying ewe lambs in place of departing ewes or have they changed the goalposts again?

In other words are only sheep that can qualify for Welfare Scheme in 2017 over two years of age on 31 Dec 17?

‘Tis a tad confusing alright,you were allowed to count sheep of breeding age as replacements for older ewes in my understanding....hence you needed to keep on hoggetts or buy them in place of old ewes for eg this backend...there was no point buying ewe lambs in place of departing ewes or have they changed the goalposts again?

In other words are only sheep that can qualify for Welfare Scheme in 2017 over two years of age on 31 Dec 17?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

But was the reference number over the years not made up of the sheep now being excluded

I don't think that has anything to do with the sheep welfare, t'll be the same as last year,
    here's a paragraph from darren cartys explanation on the journal, by this ewes born 2016 and before are still eligible and 2017 lambs will be eligible as replacements in 2018

2017-born ewe lambs won’t be eligible to satisfy the requirements of meeting the reference number until 2018. Again, if we look at our example, if the farmer has 10 barren ewes identified in 2018 when scanning ewes, these sheep can be sold and 2017-born ewe lambs will satisfy to maintain total numbers at 235 head.

• Advertisement

wrangler wrote: »

I don't think that has anything to do with the sheep welfare, t'll be the same as last year,
    here's a paragraph from darren cartys explanation on the journal, by this ewes born 2016 and before are still eligible and 2017 lambs will be eligible as replacements in 2018

2017-born ewe lambs won’t be eligible to satisfy the requirements of meeting the reference number until 2018. Again, if we look at our example, if the farmer has 10 barren ewes identified in 2018 when scanning ewes, these sheep can be sold and 2017-born ewe lambs will satisfy to maintain total numbers at 235 head.

Thanks,didn’t see the journal.

Thanks,didn’t see the journal.

You're asked for the number of ewes 12 mths and older on the form too, that's the one they'll be going by.
    I wouldn't be sure but i think the farm survey asks about the two year olds as well

Advertisement