Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 gig of the year

Options
  • 16-12-2016 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38,411 ✭✭✭✭

What was your gig of the year for 2016 ???

mine has to go too Bruce Springsteen and The ESB Croke Park 27th May 2016

Brillent atmosphere, good sound from my position (307 Cusack Stand lower), good setlist and Bruce and co were on fire. Remember there was a huge que to get passed the ticket check gate from about 5.30pm on the cusack side but we made it in on time to see the whole show

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Bruce Springsteen and the E-Street Band, Croke Park, Sunday, May 29th. The 27th was killer (worth the admission for Lost in the Flood alone), but the Sunday night has the edge for me: a contender for the best Springsteen show I've ever seen. Opened with Incident on 57th Street solo piano, closed with Thunder Road solo acoustic. Three in a row from Greetings, full band Youngstown into Murder Incorporated. Phenomenal stuff.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭larry1

Springsteen MSG NYC January, Springsteen Croker x2 May, Springsteen Chicago August. #BossisBest

Just change the name of this thread to what was the best Springsteen gig of 2016..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,593 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Daniel Avery at Electric Picnic, well for my electronica needs anyway.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,411 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

larry1 wrote: »
    Springsteen MSG NYC January, Springsteen Croker x2 May, Springsteen Chicago August. #BossisBest

Just change the name of this thread to what was the best Springsteen gig of 2016..;)

Started going to Bruce gig's in 2012, a dream of mine is to see him Indoors hopefully it will come though one day. An Amazing artist never disappoints

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭weldon

I think for me it was The Shins at Electric Picnic. Mainly because out of a bunch of gigs I was at this year it was a fantastic performance that I wasn't necessarily expecting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭i 15

Warpaint national concert hall - awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Thousand Yard Stare or Frank and Walters at the Shiiine On Weekend. Hadn't seen either live before which helped.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,505 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Death dta

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭JoeLapira

Fight Like Apes in The Roisin Dubh was immense and Pixies in The Iveagh Gardens were class too although the crowd left alot to be desired that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Yellowledbetter

Manic Street Preachers,Liberty Stadium Swansea. Great to hear Everything Must Go in full

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Muse 3Arena, Biffy 3 Arena

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭corm500

ELO 3arena. Best gig of 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I already posted Springsteen's Sunday night show as my favourite, but Jeff Lynne's ELO really was superb.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Girl Band in Vicar Street, followed by The Last Shadow Puppets in the Olympia.

Also really liked Neil Young and Suede this year. Massive Attack probably the most disappointing gig of the year.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

At the Drive-In for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Gillman1998

Two stand-outs for me, Paul Simon and Sting at the O2 in London and Joe Jackson at the London Palladium. Also Buzzcocks at Cyprus Avenue in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Saw Lordi in Galway back in November. Venue was far too small, but that only made it all the more surreal and perfect. Crowd was extremely enthusiastic and because it didn't start until after midnight, everyone was hyped up to the maximum. Fantastic cheesy fun. One of those where everyone is walking around with a satisfied grin on their faces afterwards.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Hans Zimmer

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭4Ad

Iggy Pop Superock Superbock festival in Lisbon..
    Jagwar Ma Nos Alive festival also in Lisbon, I wasn't a fan but God they were good, maybe it was the sun, wine and First Night Festival High.
    Any Ham Sandwich gog I was at, always great live...IMO..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Saw a few decent ones this year, Suede were very impressive as was Don Henley.
    EP just had a bucket load of good performances (secretly still really impressed with Lana Del Rey) and LCD were an obvious highlight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Sandwell

It's a toss up for me between the Gloaming and Stars of the Lid, both at the NCH.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Neil Young 3Arena.
    New Order at EP.

Both absolutely brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Bad Company - 3 Arena
    Joe Bonamassa - Vicar Street
    John Carpenter - Vicar Street
    ELO - 3 Arena
    Chris Cornell - Olympia

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Radiohead, Primavera.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Bruce Springsteen Croke Park May 29.I was in the pit close to the stage.Bruce opened with a great solo piano performance of Incident On 57th Street a song I had waited over thirty years to hear and see performed at a show I attended :):)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Radiohead - Berlin. 60000 people but could've been playing to 60.

In Ireland, Christine & the Queens at Longitude were excellent and LCD Soundsystem at EP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

LCD Soundsystem at EP was just joyful
    Paul Simon at 3 Arena last month was superb amazing band amazing songs
    Whitney at EP were brilliant, the drummer/singer was suffering with a hangover but still gave it socks, will probably come back to edit this when brain has cleared

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Dibble

Grace Jones in the Olympia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

David Gilmour at the Royal Albert Hall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

LCD Soundsystem at EP and ELO at the 3 Arena

Advertisement