Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of getting a Sako TRG-22 in .308

Options
  • 16-12-2016 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm trying to decide which .308 to get. It's going to be exclusively for range work ... not hunting. Something that'll reach out to 800 yards or even further and still be accurate.

I'm quite taken with the Sako TRG-22. By all accounts, out of the box, they're very very good indeed .... but they are quite expensive (4k+ I think).

My other option is a Tikka T3 (which is quite a bit cheaper), but I think it is less rifle (Note: I have a Tikka T3 in .223 and absolutely love it).

Or is there any other rifle that I should consider? I'm primarily interested in accuracy and quality (I love the quality of the bolt and trigger on my T3 ... the stock is possibly the only weak point).

Opinions?

I guess I'm trying to justify the price tag to myself. Are the TRGs worth the money?

Thanks,
    Alan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Brasros

alanmc wrote:
    I'm quite taken with the Sako TRG-22. By all accounts, out of the box, they're very very good indeed .... but they are quite expensive (4k+ I think).

If you're going to spend that kind of money I go for a custom job, something like a dolphin. I understand savage do a reasonable ftr rifle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

Whats the ruger precision like ? I know its not silly money, and any tests i have seen online shows its accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭alanmc

Brasros wrote: »
    If you're going to spend that kind of money I go for a custom job, something like a dolphin. I understand savage do a reasonable ftr rifle.

Those Dolphins look promising. It's a UK based builder, right? I'll do some research there. Thanks Brasros.

gunny123 wrote: »
    Whats the ruger precision like ? I know its not silly money, and any tests i have seen online shows its accurate.

Yes. One of the guys had two of em at the range a couple of weeks back (a .243 and a .308). They looked pretty good. He was only shooting 100 yds. I think he was just getting used to the rifle.

I'll see if my RFD can source one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Hey Alan.

As a previous owner of the TRG-22 in 308 i can vouch for the gun, but for pure range work, i'd advise against it.

This is my old one:

The rifle was superb. It has excellent accuracy straight out of the box, the stock is fantastic and adjustable. There are other features such as an adjustable trigger. I don't mean just for weight/pull, but also position. You can tilt it to one side or another and twist it to suit your style of shooting.

Thos are the pros. Now for the cons.

The rifle is heavy, even with the 26" barrel. It has a long bolt cycle and only comes with a mag, no single shot. You can overcome this with a mag blocker as in F-Class stuff you cannot use a mag. Single load only. Any addition you want will cost you. The muzzle break in mine was from Sako, as was the suppressor (not pictured) and they cost nearly €400 EACH. They do a mirage band, that you need the muzzle break for, but its part of a kit and the kit is €200. Then the problem of using a muzzle break come sup as a lot of comps don't allow the use of muzzle break or suppressor.

Now to the crux of the matter. The rifle out to 800 yards was great, and in fairness to the rifle i only had access to factory stuff at the time, no reloads. After 800 it struggled. not in the sense of getting to 1,000, she done that with ease, it was the precision of the full F-Class rigs that she lacked.

For what it was originally designed for and for non F-Class stuff out to 1,200 yards she will do what you want, and i've no doubt the performances i got could easily be improved upon with reloaded ammo.

A friend of mine bought the rifle off me, and within a couple of months changed out the barrel to a 30" target one. He also loaded the ammo and found a very distinct improvement.

So with regards the TRG. She will do anything you want and need and do it well. Parts are expensive from Sako, but overall a top class rig.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement

I've split my posts so as to keep the different aspects separate and easier to read than a massive long single post.

I've always told lads coming into long range shooting to NEVER buy custom or commission a build from the start. For one simple reason. Its a serious amount of money to invest and if you build from the off and it turns out long range is not your bag then you're stuck with a rifle/rig that frankly no dealer will touch (i know, i've been there), and only a handful of people around the country will even be interested in, let alone willing to buy.

So here is my opinion. Don't go for the TRG. You will find yourself needing or wanting a longer barrel in the not too distant future and after paying a hell of a lot of money for the TRG, scope, rings, bipod, etc, etc. you then have to hand out up to €1,100 for a new barrel. Why buy something to have to change it so significantly.

As i see it you have two options:
    1. Ignore my advice on a custom rig, and it is only advice. If you intend to shoot "this" rifle at long ranges regardless of your participation in comps then you can build a custom rig to suit your current needs and alter as you go. All for the same if not less than the TRG will cost.
    2. Buy a "starter" rifle and work with it for some time, then upgrade if you're happy to stay at the sport. For example a new Savage FTR is around €1,800 (much more than i paid for mine some years back), or even second hand for around €1,100 - €1,300. With scope, rings, and bipod you have an initial outlay of around €2,800 (second hand) to €3,500 or so (new) and you're ready to shoot.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

All of the above depends on what you want to shoot.

Are you after an F-Class type rifle or a sporter. IOW something that will get you out to 800, but no further. Also what are your expectations with regard precision and accuracy? Would 1 MOA at each distance keep you happy, 1/2 moa or do you want to push the limits of the rifle and you?

I see you mentioned the Ruger precision. Never shot one, but have held it. A fine rifle, not terribly well balanced imo, but a sturdy rig. This with the TRG, Tikka talk seems to indicate you might be going towards a sporter rig, and somehting you can run as switch barrel system?

The problem with such systems is they are never truly at home in one form. IOW if you want a Tikka then you have a light rifle, more recoil, less precision, etc. If you bought a spare barrel (30") and fitted it you still have the issue of a crap stock, too light, etc.

The same applies if you go full on F-Class, but would like to be able to shoot sporting comps where you have to move from firing point to firing point, work of a Harris bipod and not an F-Class, with a rig that can weigh in the 17lb mark.

alanmc wrote: »
    Those Dolphins look promising. It's a UK based builder, right? I'll do some research there. Thanks Brasros.

His name is Mik Maksimovic (spelling could be wrong). Long time LR shooter and custom rifle builder. Had a little work done by him. Top quality. He has all the top gear. Lathes, CNC, etc. Also holds a huge inventory of barrels and other accessories.

Thanks Cass for the replies.

So I may have given a bit of a bum steer when I said I wanted accuracy. I'm not ready for the FTR stuff just yet. Tony (MNSCI) took me out to the 600 yard range with a Savage FTR he had (30" barrel I think it had - massive yoke). Now, I wasn't great, but shooting at 600 - 800 yds is where I want to be right now. Tony said it wasn't me, but the ammo that was causing the inaccuracy, but I think he was just being kind :)

Sub-MOA (if only just) would keep me happy. I've been shooting .223 at 1/2 MOA out to 300 yds for the last while and to be honest, I'm delighted with that ... rightly or wrongly.

Tony was telling me what sort of eq I'd need to get for FTR/F-class and it was a pretty comprehensive list.

The TRG probably isn't for me. I'm going to look at a Ruger Precision tomorrow evening. It's a sold one my RFD has, but he says he has one coming in soon if I want it.

Thanks all for the replies. Much obliged.

Tony said it wasn't me, but the ammo that was causing the inaccuracy, but I think he was just being kind :)
    Tony is fairly straight talking so if he said it's the ammo it most likely was. The different ammo types can make a huge difference.
    Sub-MOA (if only just) would keep me happy. I've been shooting .223 at 1/2 MOA out to 300 yds for the last while and to be honest, I'm delighted with that ... rightly or wrongly.
    1/2 moa from any rifle at any distance is the bench mark for a good rifle and shooter. So you're right there. Well done.
    The TRG probably isn't for me.
    Don't get me wrong, if i had the money i'd have one back, but feck me it's a lot of money. For that money i'd look to getting another RPA.
    I'm going to look at a Ruger Precision tomorrow evening.
    Absolutely. Look at as much as you can, but one piece of advice, that you probably already know, don't rush in. Take the time, and if necessary let one go.

This is the start of a serious commitment so make sure you're delighted with it before buying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

I second the Dolphin products, not only because they are just up the road from me, but because at least eight fellow club members have had them built.

I also second the Savage products, not forgetting that Team Savage used them to win the Creedmoor trophy a short while back with what they say were OOTB rifles. The three or four here are brilliant F Class shooters.

If I look to my left, we have Norman Clark in Rugby, another fine builder of high precision rifles.

There are also an increasing number of the new Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor, and by golly do they shoot - and five shot in a hole [even in .308Win] hole makers at the 100m zeroing range.

The choice is wide, and is limited only by the depth of the pockets, not forgetting that good glass is necessary - Vortex is getting VERY popular here, BTW, and some shooters of my acquaintance are trading in their S&Bs for a couple of Vortex scopes instead.

To get these results, though, you'll need to be able to reload, unless you can afford the truly frightening cost of top of the range factory stuff, but I understand that joining the F-Class Team at the Midlands will enable you to so this.

tac

tac foley wrote: »
    The choice is wide, and is limited only by the depth of the pockets, not forgetting that good glass is necessary - Vortex is getting VERY popular here, BTW, and some shooters of my acquaintance are trading in their S&Bs for a couple of Vortex scopes instead.

Yeah, so I currently have a Vortex Viper PST. Love love it. It'll be definitely going on whatever 308 I end up getting.

I've spent the evening looking at YouTube reviews of the RPR. Seems like a decent starting point at the very least.

Is 6.5 creedmoor a factory round ? There seemed to be a flurry of new 6.5 rounds a few years ago, and i would wonder if some of them will survive long.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭FISMA.

AlanC,
    Have you any medium-long range caliber now? Are you set on the 308?

What kind of range work are you going to be doing? No FTR, correct? Are you going to the ground or bench?

I was in a similar situation as you a while back - looking for a rifle to do long range work. Thought about the Sako TRG 22 in 308, however, quickly found far more bang for the buck in the Savage Model 12.

I'll have to find the above mentioned thread, however, I believe I was looking at 3 guns, TRG22 included, and someone mentioned a 4th, the Savage Model 12. Since that post, years ago, the only one of the four I have not picked up is the TRG22 - just don't see the value or have the particular need for it.

I'm not sure if you want accuracy, precision, or both. What's your acceptable target size, for accuracy? What's your desired group size, for precision?

The TRG should be accurate enough for any work you give it. However to get the precision out of it, you'll need to,..., do more work

For the money you're talking, I too would go custom with names like: Bat, Krieger, Lilja, Jewell, McMillan, NightForce, or March. That kind of do$h for the TRG - no way.

The TRG has a nice tacti-cool look, but the 26" barrel is too anemic for long range work.

Also, a magazine? Not on any precision rifle I own - single shot only. Would the OAL of an optimized round even fit in the magazine?

In my opinion, it is hard to beat some of the Savage rifles on a cost/performance basis.

AlanC,
    Have you any medium-long range caliber now? Are you set on the 308?

I shoot .223 right now. A Tikka T3. Very good rifle and I'm regularly seeing 1/2 MOA groups at 300 yards.

Just for availability and affordability of ammo, I went for 308. I did have a brief moment of considering 6.5.
    What kind of range work are you going to be doing? No FTR, correct? Are you going to the ground or bench?

Both bench and prone shooting. Up to and including 800 yards hopefully.

I went down to my RFD Sat. He had a TRG there. Had a look at it. Beautiful piece of engineering. But my Dog the price tag!

I really only went down to see the Ruger Precision he had. I kinda fell for it. By all accounts, they're pretty accurate and I think it's a good entry level rifle to mid/long range shooting. So I put a deposit down. Happy out.

Thanks all for the replies.

Can i be cheeky and ask what the price of the ruger was ?

gunny123 wrote: »
    Can i be cheeky and ask what the price of the ruger was ?

2K. Pricier than in the UK or the US, but isn't everything.

2K. Pricier than in the UK or the US, but isn't everything.

Yes, often inexplicably so.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭gavindublin

I have an rpr in 243 if you want to try it.

I also put my tikka tac 223 into an xlr chassis. The chassis steadies it up and the heavy barrel is great.

More than welcome to try them

Advertisement